British Nationals in Spain - Post Brexit.

Started by woe10, January 05, 2018, 16:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

This is the latest statement from Theresa May.

"I am delighted to announce that in concluding the first phase of the negotiations that is exactly what we have achieved.
From speaking to my counterparts across Europe, I know that they hugely value the UK nationals living in their communities".

“This agreement guarantees that your rights as residents in the EU will be protected in the Withdrawal Agreement, so you can have certainty that you will be able to receive healthcare rights, pension and other benefits provisions as you do today. You can also benefit from existing rules for past and future social security contributions".

So, this should shut up the "Scaremonger Remainers"...

Ivemovedon

I'm surprised anyone ever thought it would be different.. There was never anyone going to benefit from changing the situation.

Only reason it was brought to the fore was by anti brexiteers trying to use it to scaremonger .

Black 5

The agreement on ex pats rights is part of the Withdrawal Agreement. This has not been agreed yet and may never be if we make a hard withdrawal. Still to early to say what the outcome will be but lets hope for the best.
"Your not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on"

dagwood

So whatever happened to the " Nothings agreed until everything's agreed" statement?

dagwood

Copied from todays RTE news

British Chancellor Philip Hammond has refused to rule out the UK being part of a customs union with the European Union after Brexit. 

The Remain supporter, whose opposition to a hard exit from the bloc has angered some of his colleagues, left the door open to the UK signing up to an agreement that could restrict international trade deals. 

MPs have called on the Cabinet to urgently come to a decision about the key element of the upcoming negotiations with Brussels. 

Mr Hammond was asked by a Treasury select committee to "explicitly rule out the UK participating in a customs union with the EU as part of its end-state relationship". 

The Chancellor sidestepped the question and insisted the government would be "guided by what delivers the greatest economic advantage" to the UK. 

A customs union would curb the need for border checks, but could also restrict the trade agreements the UK could seek outside it. 

Nicky Morgan, who chairs the committee, said: "It was widely thought that being in a long-term customs union with the EU had been ruled out by the government. 

"But the Chancellor's letter confirms that this is not the case. 

"It is vital that the cabinet reach agreement on these central questions about the UK's future relationship with the EU, as a matter of urgency."

Ivemovedon

And there are STILL those who think the EU holds all the aces in the pack. Why on earth would they change the rights of ex pats living in the Eurozone when they have so many of their citizens from Poland to France residing in the UK. The EU negotiators seem a bit hard nosed but they can't be that stupid to chance a tit for tat war on that particular front.

Ivemovedon

Viva mate the Irish are not inferior to us. Neither are we inferior to them. They just have a bee in their bonnet that all their problems were caused by British interference. Sometimes it's just far easier to blame the old 'colonials' and sidestep the real home bred issues.

Anyhow, most of us and that includes me, have both Irish and English (cockney) connections. It's a shame we don't get on that well but that's how it is with such geographically closely linked countries. Always has been and probably always will be.

malabu

Strange this conversation, we live in Fuerte and have done for more than 10 years, and the issue of where you come from has never presented itself as an issue, i can honestly say race or religion never seems to come into any conversation and we live amongst all of them, it could be that it gets indoctrinated into the youth of today and yesteryear. but not here, as i say stange?

paully

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 06, 2018, 12:28:39 PM

And there are STILL those who think the EU holds all the aces in the pack. Why on earth would they change the rights of ex pats living in the Eurozone when they have so many of their citizens from Poland to France residing in the UK. The EU negotiators seem a bit hard nosed but they can't be that stupid to chance a tit for tat war on that particular front.

I think its all down to inept on both sides which is why events have travelled so little and taken so long. On the EU side, Merkel, was due, behind the scenes of course, to give the nods winks and direction this should take. However due to her own stupid policies she ended up bowing out of EU politics to fight her own problems at home.Remember Germany still has not got a functioning Government  :o  whilst Theresa May needs no lessons in said ineptness. It seems to come quite naturally  ::)

I agree that the `people` issue will be settled along the lines already outlined, I cannot see any other way.But this should have been resolved right at the start, there are many people desperately unhappy and concerned for their futures and people of all ages. They need answers as to their futures like yesterday..Its infuriating that they haven`t..Meanwhile all we can do is wait .
I HATE computer thingyss

Ivemovedon

Agree that May is inept. I have never had any faith in her ability to get a good deal. I think she will sell us short in the end. But not on the issue of ex pats. We will still end up tied to the EU shirt tails one way or another.

Ivemovedon

Quote from: malabu on January 07, 2018, 07:45:55 AM
Strange this conversation, we live in Fuerte and have done for more than 10 years, and the issue of where you come from has never presented itself as an issue, i can honestly say race or religion never seems to come into any conversation and we live amongst all of them, it could be that it gets indoctrinated into the youth of today and yesteryear. but not here, as i say stange?

I think it's because FV is stuck out in the Atlantic. It does not even suffer any feedback from the Spanish problems which include Catalonia's independence. You don't have the pressing immigration, financial and social problems affecting central Europe. And as you say most people come and go and are no direct threat to the island's population.

dagwood

I doubt they will put all the British immigrants into a welcoming center after Brexit. I`m sure Mrs May will get a better deal than that.
Especially now that she has the lovely Areleen keeping her in government 😜😜😜

woe10

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 07, 2018, 11:27:56 AM
Agree that May is inept. I have never had any faith in her ability to get a good deal. I think she will sell us short in the end. But not on the issue of ex pats. We will still end up tied to the EU shirt tails one way or another.

The Brits made a big mistake. They should have gone wit Nigel Farage. It would have all been sorted by now, and the Brussels Mafia put in their places.

MalT

MalT

I`ve got to be careful, i`m Getting as cynical as you lot😂 is it some kind of mindset you get here after a period of time 😎

spitfire58

Quote from: MalT on January 10, 2018, 10:30:09 AM
I`ve got to be careful, i`m Getting as cynical as you lot😂 is it some kind of mindset you get here after a period of time 😎

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ivemovedon

Quote from: MalT on January 10, 2018, 10:30:09 AM

Nope ...it's a mindset you get after living a lifetime of listening to UK politicians.

dagwood

Nigel Farage has revealed he is on the verge of backing a second British referendum on European Union membership to "kill off" the Remain campaign for a generation.

The former Ukip leader suggested a fresh vote would put an end to "whinging and whining" by opponents of Brexit such as Tony Blair, Nick Clegg and Lord Adonis.

Mr Farage, who played a pivotal role in securing the vote to leave the EU, said his mind was changing on holding a second poll.

Appearing on Channel 5's The Wright Stuff, he said: "What is for certain is that the Cleggs, the Blairs, the Adonises will never ever ever give up. They will go on whinging and whining and moaning all the way through this process.

Ivemovedon

paully

I think he`s probably wrong. Although polls show its still close, if it was re run, I think the vote would be to remain this time.
I HATE computer thingyss

Ivemovedon

I don't disagree it may go against leave a second time around. My argument is that with all the remoaners, some in high places, back stabbing, sniping and generally undermining the efforts of our negotiators to get something worthwhile out of it, and voting against every Government initiative connected with it, we are unlikely to get a deal that anyone who voted 'out' first time around would consider viable and in the UK's long term interest.
I see where Farage is coming from, rather than that ..go for a second referendum and chance shutting them up forever, and getting a deal we appear to have no chance of getting now.

MalT

Yes, go on, let`s have the chance of a replay , now that people have had a chance to digest the truth 😎

paully

Well the Remoaners like Bliar,Adonis,Heseltine, Cleggy et al are certainly not telling the truth, they are presently peddling a very untrue and unhelpful scenario which fits with what they want. The likes of this shower have never been bothered about what is best for the ordinary Joe Public only themselves. They are politicians and therefore by definition, unable to lie straight in bed  ::)

Of course what should have happened 2 years ago is that Cameron and his Government should have remained neutral (Like Wilson last time around) and we wouldnt be in this tit for tat mess we are now.

I HATE computer thingyss

Ivemovedon

Dead right there Paul, Cameron has a lot to answer for. And Osborne too. In fact the pair of them are probably the worst pair of bandits the Tory party have ever produced. Elitist, ...typical public school old boys who practice cronyism to the highest degree. Detest them. Shame of it was I thought Cameron was going to be the real deal...what a let down. Jeremy Paxman regards him as the worst PM we have had in the last century. He ain't far off.           

MalT

Hmm no talk about 40 billion exit bill, just a bus with a lie rite large! Though I do agree that the Europeans have shown themselves to be a shabby lot

erik_tonny

Quote from: MalT on January 13, 2018, 12:25:51 PM
Hmm no talk about 40 billion exit bill, just a bus with a lie rite large! Though I do agree that the Europeans have shown themselves to be a shabby lot
Odd, we found that the British have shown themselves to be rather naive.

MalT

Wouldn`t disagree with that Eric, but must admit I expected better from the EU, trying to make an e ample of us, will not win you friends 😎

Johnrgby2

Quote from: MalT on January 14, 2018, 12:37:41 PM
Wouldn`t disagree with that Eric, but must admit I expected better from the EU, trying to make an e ample of us, will not win you friends 😎

While I agree with your sentiments Mal, the problem for The EU is, if they give The UK, any sort easy way out, they know the entire corrupt operation will fall apart, I honestly believe there are a number of governments/Politicians watching this with interest, as they would love to bail out, but do not have the bottle, but if The UK get a reasonable settlement they will not be the last to leave.