Nudist Beaches South of El Cotillo - advice please.

Started by concerned cat, October 28, 2014, 17:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concerned cat

We normally drive from the village either up to the lagoons or along the north coast road to some pods up there & enjoy the secluion & relative privacy.
However, this year we have been lent some cyles & fancied trying south of EC. Are there any quiet stretches & how far do we need to travel to get away from the surfer dudes?
Many Thanks.

MinRich

If you have bikes i am sure there must be some more sandy areas past the surf beach . We have never gone any further as we walk , so how about google earth , might show whats there ?

jg

Quote from: MinRich on October 29, 2014, 13:57:34 PM
If you have bikes i am sure there must be some more sandy areas past the surf beach . We have never gone any further as we walk , so how about google earth , might show whats there ?
There were certainly plenty of beaches below the cliffs south of the surfers' beaches when I went for a naked cycle ride down that way but I don't know how acccessible they are as I didn't stop to try them.
JG

duncolm

The way south from El Cotillo is the part of the El Cotillo-Jarugo route from the island's network of cycle paths
http://visitfuerteventura.es/en/rutas-ciclistas/
There's an information board at the start of the road south, just inland from the Toston. I haven't explored all the way down that way yet but we did drive then walk part of it a couple of years ago. I recall coming across a stairway down the cliffs at the furthest point we reached. The state of it really wasn't safe and it just led to a rocky shoreline anyway.
Looking at maps and guidebooks it looks like if you cycle for about 5-6km then leave the cycle route to the right then you should get to a proper beach called Playa del Aguilla.

Magoo

Along there, you are well & truly on the West coast. Swimming is a bit like Russian Roulette

jg

Quote from: Magoo on October 29, 2014, 19:53:29 PM
Along there, you are well & truly on the West coast. Swimming is a bit like Russian Roulette
I had forgotten that bit. Thank you for reminding us.
JG

Tillyrieve

Hello Franklin!
Just south of the main beach there is a small cove, though it is overlooked by the cliff path in places. Further down, probably 45 mins on foot, is the beach mentioned above with the staircase down the cliffs. Both of these need lowish tides for much sand to be exposed & swimming isn't usually safe.
M.

decho

Be VERY, VERY careful walking down to these beaches. If you slip and fall, it's VERY BAD news!

Magoo

Quote from: decho on October 30, 2014, 16:12:44 PM
Be VERY, VERY careful walking down to these beaches. If you slip and fall, it's VERY BAD news!

I can vouch for that, I slipped & took a bit of a tumble when leaving Playa Juan Gomez. Volcanic rock is VERY sharp!  :o Still have a couple of scars. If the location is remote & no one is at hand to help, your day has the potential to end very badly. 

To be honest, when I read posts promoting the joys of naked hiking, I cringe. 

Spike On Q

PLEASE be very careful approaching the waters edge anywhere along the west coast. One big wave and you can be knocked over and the next one will drag you out. Even if you are a strong swimmer the struggle against the mass of water can be deadly - as we saw recently at Ajuy

concerned cat

Many thanks for all replies. We played it safe & stayed at the lagoons.