Shipping Household Goods from the U.K.

Started by cyberion, March 27, 2018, 17:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberion

Can anyone provide me with their experience of shipping their household goods from the U.K.

I have been told that as well as my NIE and Residentia (which I have), I also have to provide the shipping agent with a NIF for customs tax.

Most people tell me there is no tax on household goods over 6 months old and so I cannot see why they want a NIF, especially as I don`t have one or need one (according to HMRC) as I am on secondment to Fuerteventura for 18 months from the U.K. and paying U.K. tax and NI and not Spanish tax.

Any advice would be welcome

spitfire58

Hi cyber ion,
Can`t say much about used household goods (your own, for your own use) but we sent out numerous items with Woodside Cargo to furnish our place about a year ago & all they needed was valuations (goods were new so possible import tax) & NIE. As far as I remember it was only on the new items, stuff we sent out that was our own was just a shipping charge. HTH

cyberion

You are a star, thanks. I thought that was the case.

spitfire58

Do you have contact details for Woodside ? They are the best 😀😀

Séan J.

Hi all
just wondering if Woodside ship from Ireland,

Many Thank's

spitfire58

Hi Sean,
Doubt it. Their warehouse is in Gloucester so I think you would have to ship to there. They can do a “collection service” but again I think this would just be UK. Might be worth speaking to Annette though. I don`t have her number to hand but pm me if no one else on here pings it
Cheers . . Ron

emmi

Woodside details:

Opening hours From 09.30am To 16.30 hours | Monday to Friday
    Tel: Office (0034) 928 344 580 | Out of Hours (0034) 666 504 625
    Email: info@woodsidecargosl.com

Annette
   English Enquiries    (0034) 666 504 625
Jose
   Spanish enquiries    (0034) 747 722 197

Ducks

Quote from: Séan J. on March 28, 2018, 11:26:41 AM
Hi all

Many Thank's

You might get in touch with Parcel Motel? They have a warehouse in Antrim up North which might be of use as a waypoint for Woodside.

Ducks

Quote from: Séan J. on March 28, 2018, 11:26:41 AM
Hi all

Many Thank's

Ran into a chap from Woodside yesterday while shopping in Puertoâ€" spotted the logo on his t-shirt and pulled him over to ask the question. Apparently they're very happy to arrange shipping from Ireland, so do give them a call on the number provided. He suggested to speak to Annette, if that helps. Good luck!

Lexeus

Has anyone get any examples of what the tax was on bringing something in from the UK that was brand new? :) thanks in advance

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Lexeus on April 19, 2018, 13:21:30 PM
Has anyone get any examples of what the tax was on bringing something in from the UK that was brand new? :) thanks in advance

Can I enquire what you intend to buy in The UK and then pay to ship here? unless it is something that is not available on The Island, it seems a tad odd.

Lexeus

I am thinking of paying for a container to bring some 2nd hand things over, but if I have the space there are plenty of things that are better to buy in the UK and I would prefer to bring over if there is not a great big tax bill on top.

For example, I have heard of a few people bringing in new kitchens rather than buying here, and I am looking at buying one. Also, there are the slightly less common items which if you find a stockist out here are usually way over priced, such as a kitchen tap that has a built in water heater so you only need a cold water connection.

spitfire58

Hi Lexeus,
I would be careful what you bring over. The second hand stuff as far as I know “should” be with no tax as your own existing property (even if not you can declare it so). The likes of the kitchen you have to declare a value (doesn`t have to be very accurate) & it should be 7% on that & anything else new. The likes of the tap might turn out to be not cost effective as the electricity costs on the island are higher.
To JR2, we brought a bunch of stuff out for our place. Not sure it worked out any cheaper but we could make our own choices without a limited supply outlets & no language or finding places barrier. Thought it was the best/easiest way to get started. IMHO, Cheers . . Ron

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Lexeus on April 19, 2018, 14:01:00 PM
I am thinking of paying for a container to bring some 2nd hand things over, but if I have the space there are plenty of things that are better to buy in the UK and I would prefer to bring over if there is not a great big tax bill on top.

For example, I have heard of a few people bringing in new kitchens rather than buying here, and I am looking at buying one. Also, there are the slightly less common items which if you find a stockist out here are usually way over priced, such as a kitchen tap that has a built in water heater so you only need a cold water connection.

OK I understand now, I thought I had responded to this yesterday, but I must have neglected to post it, IMHO your best source of info will be Annette at Woodside, give her a ring and she will be only to pleased to help.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: spitfire58 on April 19, 2018, 21:25:58 PM

To JR2, we brought a bunch of stuff out for our place. Not sure it worked out any cheaper but we could make our own choices without a limited supply outlets & no language or finding places barrier. Thought it was the best/easiest way to get started. IMHO, Cheers . . Ron

Hi Ron

personal choice I suppose, we brought a lot of personal gear paintings, cooking equipment, PC, laptops etc, but as for anything else we bought here, and with the odd exception we got it right IMHO.