Location Questions

Started by bloop, December 16, 2016, 13:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloop

Hi There,

My wife and I are planning on spending two weeks in Fuerte in June and wondering if you can help with our planning.

We are wanting to spend one week in Corralejo and one in Jandia and have the following questions.

We are leaning towards booking one of the Riu hotels in Corralejo, and understand nude bathing is common a short distance from there, correct?

My real question concerns Jandia, and where the best location is along the peninsula for nudist.  We would like somewhere that is fairly popular with nude bathing and ideally has some beach chairs/umbrella's as well.  This will help us in choosing a hotel.

We will have access to a car and plan on exploring the island while we are there, but would like to be able to walk to a nice popular nudist area if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Will196

Quote from: bloop on December 16, 2016, 13:33:46 PM

My real question concerns Jandia, and where the best location is along the peninsula for nudist.  We would like somewhere that is fairly popular with nude bathing and ideally has some beach chairs/umbrella's as well.  This will help us in choosing a hotel.

If you see the light house on the map you're basically in the middle. To the south (I think it's south. It's towards the town) until you reach the lifeguard tower is normally naturist. In the other direction towards the other life guard tower is naturist.

I won't say the umbrella are 100% nude in that area but most days it's pretty close.

If you can manage without the umbrellas all the sand between those points is nude friendly. You only really need the umbrellas when the wind picks up.

bedouin

SBH Club Paraiso Playa hotel in Esquinzo is right on the southern end of a big stretch of naturist beaches.  However, there's a long steep staircase down the cliff to the beach.  The hotel itself is quite good, not naturist.

If you go further south, there are big hotels such as Magic Life which have some naturist facilities, but I don't think the beach is as good there.

The nicest naturist beaches are in the Sotavento area - drive to Risco del Paso, park close to the beach, walk north along the sandy beach.  There are no facilities here.  An alternative is to drive to Mal Nombre and park at the Tierra Dorada beach bar, where there's food & drink, toilets and sunloungers (beach is naturist, but not the beach bar).

fizzy lemonade

As regards Corralejo, I don't know if June differs from September but in September the last two sections of sunbeds south of the Rui hotels (a couple of hundred meters from the hotel) were 100% nude, the third last section south was 50/50

Beyond the sunbeds on the sand was pretty much 100% nude

Riverman

Quote from: fizzy lemonade on December 16, 2016, 18:10:40 PM
As regards Corralejo, I don't know if June differs from September but in September the last two sections of sunbeds south of the Rui hotels (a couple of hundred meters from the hotel) were 100% nude, the third last section south was 50/50

Ditto for November

paully

Quote from: fizzy lemonade on December 16, 2016, 18:10:40 PM

June is when things start to change for the summer months..Nudies are much less in both this area and El Cotillo. Not sure about the south of the Island. We were on the beach south of the hotels at the end of June and there were`nt many of us at all. The naturists, although not all of course, go away at the beginning of June and come back after the school holidays
I HATE computer thingyss

Magoo

The sun beds below the Robinson near Esquinzo is traditionally used by naturists who do not want to rough it in a stone circle.  The area is slightly protected from the wind by an outcrop of the cliff.  Sea access is good.  Park up in Esquinzo  and take the public path next to the Marina Playa hotel and restaurant. When on the beach, walk south for about 10min past the stone circles. There is also a cliff top path with nice views that runs from an area of wasteland in Esquinzo and drops down to the beach near the beach bar just south of the sun bed area

Jimjo

I agree with Magoo, we have stayed at Club Jandia Princess for the last two years, about to book again for next year. The beach is stunning and the stone circles are 100% naturist with the sunbed section also used by naturists. We stayed in September and in June and September was by far more popular with naturists. In June it seemed that the season hadn't actually got started yet, very quiet.

bloop

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We have been considering the Princess resorts as well and will look more closely at the SBH chain too.

We also have the flexibility to go in May, but I'm worried it won't be beach weather?

Will196

In May? It's beach weather in Feb and March. The only problem with May is it'll be sunny every day.  8)

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Will196 on December 23, 2016, 14:59:43 PM
In May? It's beach weather in Feb and March. The only problem with May is it'll be sunny every day.  8)

Explain why that is a problem please ;)

Brayone

You might like to reconsider the RIU hotels bit. We dream't of staying there but the experience was appalling. The apartment was damp and smelly and the electricity kept cutting off. Assistance for our issues fell on deaf ears from hotel management. We were not the only ones with issues. One Irish family had a resident trap sleeping on their balcony. At that time, all the prime apartments were booked by German operators from year to year so they never seemed to be available. Just beware. Being based near the beach may come at a cost.

SheilaW

I hadn't heard that about the RIU but I don't know it well. Rather worrying. What you could do is go for a 100% naturist hotel - the Gran Natura. It's a lovely relaxed atmosphere with good food, two pools, sauna etc. Direct access to the clothes optional beach. Just take the key, flipflops and suncream. However the sunbeds there aren't naturist friendly so you'd have to walk/taxi past the RIUs for them.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Brayone on December 23, 2016, 20:04:32 PM
You might like to reconsider the RIU hotels bit. We dream't of staying there but the experience was appalling. The apartment was damp and smelly and the electricity kept cutting off. Assistance for our issues fell on deaf ears from hotel management. We were not the only ones with issues. One Irish family had a resident trap sleeping on their balcony. At that time, all the prime apartments were booked by German operators from year to year so they never seemed to be available. Just beware. Being based near the beach may come at a cost.

We have stayed at both Tres Islas and Olivia B on the dunes since 1979 when they were Nov hotels, and since 2011 we have stayed there 2/3 times a year, and never had a problem with either.

Beachfun

AS to follow on what johnrgby2 has said we have stayed only in the tres islas about 15 times in recent years  so can,t  talk for the riu oliva but this hotel is excellent in all ,food rooms and service and cleanliness and any problem is sorted prompt have you brayone actually stayed there or are you just making an assumption that all riu,s are the same !

hairybiker

I stay at the Tres Islas twice a year and have never had a problem, or at least not one that wasn't resolved pretty quickly

Stayed at the Oliva Beach one summer when the Tres Islas was being refurbed and wouldn't stay there again.  I was in the main hotel but didn't like the look of the (what used to be self-catering) apartments.

The food wasn't that good and the service was pretty dreadful

bloop

Thanks again for the feedback, sounds as though the area around the Jandia Princess offers a great mix of privacy (in stone circles) and sunbeds where it is easier to socialize.

Any other hints or tips for a first timer?

bedouin

Quote from: bloop on January 09, 2017, 20:32:48 PM

Any other hints or tips for a first timer?

* Use once-a-day sunscreen, Ultrasun or P20 are good.

* Hire your car from PlusCar - no fuel scams, no silly excess payments, no extra insurance costs.

fizzy lemonade

This

hairybiker

Quote from: fizzy lemonade on January 10, 2017, 07:42:28 AM

This

Or Calypso from Aldi, Wilko or (sometimes) Sainsburys.  Comes in SPF10, 20 or 30 and so much cheaper than P20 and doesn't stain (unlike P20 or so I've heard)

paully

If, like us you just come with hand luggage, try Mercadona own brands.Very good and reasonable. Apparantly last year they came top in a Spanish equivalant of Which? test
I HATE computer thingyss

jaynek65

P20 is cheaper to buy while in Fuerteventura (£24 in UK Vs 17 euros ) Yes it stains white clothes a little but we still use it as it's so good and not as greasy as Calypso and boots own (can't remember name!)

We always stay in Jandia, either Fuerteventura Princess (9 times) and then Magic life for last 7 times, both good, but for food Magic Life wins hands down !

bloop

Thanks.

We've been to a number of nude and clothing optional beaches in north america and the Caribbean, so we have experience in that sense, just not fuerteventura.

Coming from Canada we don't have the option to book Magic Life through anywhere but their site, and the price they offered seemed overpriced, but it looks like an awesome spot.

Magoo

Bloop.  The problem with Ai hotels such as Magic Life, is that you see nothing of the rest of the island as you don't need to get out.  We self cater in Esquinzo at the Monte Marina naturist apartments which has a small pool area and sauna.  We tend to pick up a hire car at the airport and keep it for the duration. It most likely costs lass than airport transfers and sundry taxi rides.
We always make a point of doing a few trips around the island.  I would recommend El Cotillo in the north for the lagoons. You can combine this with a west coast trip over the mountains and return via the faster east coast route takinking in the dunes national park.  Cofete beach in the south is a mind blowing sight, but sadly not as deserted as it once was thanks to Ridley Scott.
Even if you stay AI, do take time to look around. Enjoy your stay

hairybiker

Quote from: jaynek65 on January 10, 2017, 11:09:56 AM
P20 is cheaper to buy while in Fuerteventura (£24 in UK Vs 17 euros ) Yes it stains white clothes a little but we still use it as it's so good and not as greasy as Calypso and boots own (can't remember name!)

Greasy???  The all-day Calypso has (I think) an alcohol base and isn't greasy at all.  You could get quite high if you put it on in a small unventilated space 8)

Jimjo

Bloop, the best advice i can give for a first timer is to learn from those who have been before. I joined this forum to try and see if people can offer advice, some of them have already commented on this thread. I also joined a genuine naturist website and gained some valuable information from there. The website also used to have a chatroom so i was able to ask individuals specific questions about the particular area i was hoping to stay. Someone sent me some photos of the stone circles and the beach (early morning, un-occupied) just so we knew what to expect. This all helped and we eventually decided on Jandia Princess as we like our comforts and it had a clothes optional beach. That was in 2015, we have now just booked to go back again late this year for our third visit. My wife, from being very nervous is now comfortable being naked on the beach and has said she will join me in the hotel sauna this year. If you and your wife are comfortable in a naturist hotel, i agree with Maggo on the Monte Marina naturist apartments, as this is located on the same beach as Jandia Princess but for us, it was too bigger step and we needed to find out feet gradually. Hope this helps

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: jaynek65 on January 10, 2017, 11:09:56 AM

I would ban P20 if I had my way! It stains clothes, towels, sheets, any material in comes in contact with in fact. Cushions, chairs, settees, shower curtains, you name it. Also, it stains the edges of pools. Most people I know who rent out holiday properties, or clean them, would say the same. Unfortunately a lot of these stains are permanent so please show consideration for the places you stay at. Thank you.

I think the Boots product is called Soltan and I find it an effective sun factor lotion and for me the biggest plus is that it contains an insect repellent - keeps those pesky flies away.

Someone also mentioned Mercadona's own suncare range. I thought this was very good as well and reasonably priced. Unfortunately they have stopped selling it and now have a small range of well known, high priced brands. When I asked why, they said that they had received some complaints about their own range. So, if we all complain about the current range  and ask for the other back ......... who knows!