Author Topic: Lajares junction to Corralejo Road  (Read 18629 times)

Offline beachlifeTopic starter

Re: Lajares junction to Corralejo Road
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2017, 20:31:35 pm »
I wonder if once the road is open, if they will use the road used out of Tamaragua as part of a cycle way, then carry it on from there by the side of the new motorway.

UK highway code as we know prohibits certain vehicles and cyclists from a motorway. Does the Spanish equivalent of the highway code prevent cyclists from a road designated as a motorway?

Offline Archer

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2017, 22:16:15 pm »
They are allowed on the FV2 Autovia betweeb Risco del Paso and Butihondo. A real menace to all!
In fact I think they need some new legislation to stop hoardes of cyclsts, sometimes three wide taking over the roads! Single file or not at all.

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2017, 22:16:15 pm »

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2017, 23:54:54 pm »
arrogant motorists who are deep down in their hearts really jealous of anyone showing the slightest inclination to even the most modest form of physical exercise usually get over excited when their short comings are exposed and over react, pitifully attempting to hinder the cyclists in every way possible, in the uk and also, apparently, on Fuerte. The Canarians, otoh, welcome cyclists and are very passionate about cycling as a sport.

The following users thanked this post: recursor

Offline PRIDEspark

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2017, 04:58:59 am »
Whoever is in the right or wrong there is usually only one winner in an accident involving a car and a bike.
Far better to have designated  lanes to prevent them being hunted down by cyclist hating motorists. ;)

Offline beachlifeTopic starter

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:34 am »
arrogant motorists who are deep down in their hearts really jealous of anyone showing the slightest inclination to even the most modest form of physical exercise usually get over excited when their short comings are exposed and over react, pitifully attempting to hinder the cyclists in every way possible, in the uk and also, apparently, on Fuerte. The Canarians, otoh, welcome cyclists and are very passionate about cycling as a sport.

I cycle myself and I drive. I don`t hate cyclists but don`t understand the pack mentality of the cyclists on public roads who are a danger to themselves and others. I can understand why the island encourages them to the island and why cyclists come to the island. However when in large numbers they do create problems to themselves and others.

Personally I never cycled on the Tamaragua to Corralejo on the old road due to the danger but do cycle Tamaragua to Cotillo (I walked my cycle to the first junction- although with new temporary road I can cycle it now). I certainly wouldn`t entertain cycling from Tamaragua to Corralejo on the new road as I have concerns about my own safety, but more importantly I would not want to put other road users in danger. Drivers need to be aware of cyclists but a large number of cyclists do not seem to be aware of drivers

The local authorities who encourage cyclists (correctly) have a duty of care, to make sure cyclists and drivers are safe. So the obvious solution is to make a cycle path and separate the 2 for the safety of all.

Offline paully

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2017, 12:19:27 pm »
Morning ZZ....good to see you back and pleased to see you haven`t err lost your touch  ;D ;D

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2017, 21:47:30 pm »
Being a regular cyclist is an excuse to wear Lycra and show your lunch box (or other) and exude a person’s true personality, normally that of a arrogant, nauseating, self-centred, ignorant, bad mannered, bullying, toss pot of the highest order. To ride three abreast and twenty rows long, is breathtakingly pig ignorant, I hate them with a vengeance, they need sorted on Fuerter, the locals hate them as much as anybody else.

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2017, 22:50:36 pm »
Piles bad again tamkid ?

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2017, 22:56:21 pm »
A couple of weeks ago we - inadvertently - drove south on the new motorway. On our first morning, coming from La Oliva, Villaverde, direction, big sign to Corralejo down the link road, small sign left to Corralejo, straight on to motorway! We're not the first or last to make that mistake, I'm sure.
Kilometers and kilometers of lovely clear road, a very different view of the mountains, then a roundabout and straight on to the narrow road leading back to the coast road.
It'll be good when they finish it in a year or so, but the real benefit will come when they eventually extend it down to Puerto del Rosario, where I'm sure it'll end up.

Offline Ole Man River

« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:47 pm »
It's been a while!

Where have all the Men, Machines & Plant gone, from working on the road (Lajares to Corralejo)?
It's almost deserted now.
Has the MONEY run out again :o or were they needed urgently somewhere else ;D

Has anyone one heard anything new?  8)

Offline Archer

« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2017, 13:20:08 pm »
They're all on the southern bit. Now hurriedly trying to finish the last bit to link up with the Penescal to Jandia section.
Anything to do with the new Resort hotel that is being developed where the Stella Canarias was??

Offline paully

« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2017, 14:24:38 pm »
Whats the betting that by the time they finish the southern bit, the money will have run out.....again ::)

Offline recursor

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2017, 23:48:00 pm »
Being a regular cyclist is an excuse to wear Lycra and show your lunch box (or other) and exude a person’s true personality, normally that of a arrogant, nauseating, self-centred, ignorant, bad mannered, bullying, toss pot of the highest order. To ride three abreast and twenty rows long, is breathtakingly pig ignorant, I hate them with a vengeance, they need sorted on Fuerter, the locals hate them as much as anybody else.

You silly little wayne kerr.

Offline suendrob

• One Beautiful Island to Another
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2017, 08:55:29 am »

You silly little wayne kerr.

A bit slow on the come-back, there  ???

Offline paully

« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2017, 10:47:36 am »
Indeed, but from the albeit much delayed response, seems Tamkid may well have a point  ???

Offline harlequin16

« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2017, 10:45:45 am »
Forgive my ignorance, hope this is the right post to ask my question. Last year whilst chatting to a guy at Flag beach I was informed the coast road from Corralejo back toward Puerto Del Rosario was to close, due to the land being eroded and to reduce omissions or whatever; as the area nearer to Corralejo was a National Park. So has this road now been closed? I assume if not, at some point in the future the only way to travel to Corralejo will be inland via La Olivia. Just wondering what the latest is on the whole situation....

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »

I cycle myself and I drive. I don`t hate cyclists but don`t understand the pack mentality of the cyclists on public roads who are a danger to themselves and others. I can understand why the island encourages them to the island and why cyclists come to the island. However when in large numbers they do create problems to themselves and others.

Personally I never cycled on the Tamaragua to Corralejo on the old road due to the danger but do cycle Tamaragua to Cotillo (I walked my cycle to the first junction- although with new temporary road I can cycle it now). I certainly wouldn`t entertain cycling from Tamaragua to Corralejo on the new road as I have concerns about my own safety, but more importantly I would not want to put other road users in danger. Drivers need to be aware of cyclists but a large number of cyclists do not seem to be aware of drivers

The local authorities who encourage cyclists (correctly) have a duty of care, to make sure cyclists and drivers are safe. So the obvious solution is to make a cycle path and separate the 2 for the safety of all.

100% agree, I also cycle and drive a car or motorcycle but there are roads around here (Hereford) where at least 1 cyclist dies every week for the simple reason they are not safe enough to be cycled on, most the drivers around here are morons, so an easy way to extend your life is to only cycle on the quiet roads or even better, go cross country.

i know its legal but so is putting my hand in the fire, its the same reaons I dont take part in that either.

Offline SheilaW

« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2017, 18:19:20 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, hope this is the right post to ask my question. Last year whilst chatting to a guy at Flag beach I was informed the coast road from Corralejo back toward Puerto Del Rosario was to close, due to the land being eroded and to reduce omissions or whatever; as the area nearer to Corralejo was a National Park. So has this road now been closed? I assume if not, at some point in the future the only way to travel to Corralejo will be inland via La Olivia. Just wondering what the latest is on the whole situation....
We're all ignorant here - it's the way the authorities like it!

The coast road is still open, that I do know. It has no status now - the FV1 is the motorway, which is now open in both directions and 100kph for its 18 or so km between Caldareta and the roundabout off to Lajares, La Oliva and Tamaragua. From there into town you go onto just one carriageway of it while they build the other. I've heard that heavy goods vehicles will have to use the motorway and will be banned from the coast road. But coaches still need access to the dunes hotels. And tourists will certainly want to go to the beach!

What will happen long-term is anyone's guess. I don't think the powers-that-be know either. But then they'll probably be powers-that-were in due course so why should they care? :).

The following users thanked this post: paully, Séan J., Ole Man River, Windermeregolfer, recursor, Johnrgby2, harlequin16

Offline jg

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2017, 10:44:08 am »
I can't see the bus service using the motorway unless they decide to introduce an X6 express service in parallel with the existing route serving all the coastal villages.

Offline cockney

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2017, 17:37:22 pm »
It was mentioned years ago that the intention was to block the coast road to through traffic. Tourists and others could travel south to say the hotels or the surfing beaches and retrurn and traffic going north would turn round at Parque Holandes.