Internet booster

Started by warriors, February 01, 2017, 08:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warriors

Hi we are struggling to get a good signal to our Android box and are not tech savvy, is it worth buying an internet booster? TIA

spitfire58

Quote from: warriors on February 01, 2017, 08:36:25 AM
Hi we are struggling to get a good signal to our Android box and are not tech savvy, is it worth buying an internet booster? TIA

Best thing is these units that use your wiring system to transmit signal. You plug a unit in beside your router (with an Ethernet cable between. Then plug a unit in beside your android box (with an Ethernet cable) or anything else where you have poor signal. No degradation in signal. Works great for me

warriors

Thanks spitfire, do they just plug into a power socket then?? Sorry did say we are not tech savvy!!

decho

Yep you can get them in ELectron as a kit, one for the router end and one for the other end,which has wifi. We got TPLink one and it works fine. We can now get wifi upstairs whereas before we couldn't because of the poor wifi range of the moviestar router.
If possible get the kit that also allows you to piggy pack another plug into it so that you don't lose a socket.

Will196

The two replies are talking about different things. Both are assuming you've got weak wifi reception. Is that the case? If you have a smartphone you can use that to check. Various wifi tester apps are available for free.

The first suggestion is to get a cable. Plug it into a free port on your router and the other end into your TV box.

The second suggestion is to use a powerline wifi repeater.

The problem is what is your issue? Do you have weak wifi? In which case the simple/cheap solution is to move either the router or the tv box closer together. Or do you have a speed problem?

spitfire58

Quote from: Will196 on February 04, 2017, 10:50:45 AM
The two replies are talking about different things. Both are assuming you've got weak wifi reception. Is that the case? If you have a smartphone you can use that to check. Various wifi tester apps are available for free.

The first suggestion is to get a cable. Plug it into a free port on your router and the other end into your TV box.

The second suggestion is to use a powerline wifi repeater.

The problem is what is your issue? Do you have weak wifi? In which case the simple/cheap solution is to move either the router or the tv box closer together. Or do you have a speed problem?
Hi Will, warriors,
De hi & I were talking about the same type of unit. Obviously if the router is near enough to the box then just plug an Ethernet cable directly between both. Mostly it works out that your router is nowhere near what you need the signal for ! The units I recommended use the electric wiring system in the house to a plug socket near where you need it. You plug a unit in near the router, connect router to transfer unit with an Ethernet cable. Plug the second (or third) unit near the item that is getting poor signal & again an Ethernet cable from transmit unit to item requiring stronger signal, job done. I agree however that it is worth checking what the download speed is for the router in the first place as a starting point.

warriors

Thanks for taking time to help people! From what yoiyoiu say our problem will be the download speed then, the router is not hardwired in as there are no slots available apparently, the box is connected by an eartnet cable to the router. As I said we are not tech savvy and do not have a smart phone!! ( bit embarrassing in this day and age really!!)

Will196

If there is a data cable going to the router improving the wifi won't help . At least we saved you some money  ;D

spitfire58

Quote from: warriors on February 05, 2017, 07:50:20 AM
Thanks for taking time to help people! From what yoiyoiu say our problem will be the download speed then, the router is not hardwired in as there are no slots available apparently, the box is connected by an eartnet cable to the router. As I said we are not tech savvy and do not have a smart phone!! ( bit embarrassing in this day and age really!!)

Does sound like your download speed then !! Unfortunately from what I gather, not a lot you can do on the island. They all seem to be pretty low.
Only other thing to consider then is where you live & is it possible to get a supplier with higher speed but for that you would need to get your existing download speed for comparison. Do you have any friends out there with a smart phone or tablet that could visit & link up to you're router to do a speed test ?

Will196

The OP has a computer I assume. If they google DSL speedtest a whole bunch should come up. Strangely at the moment google is sending me a bunch of German websites  :o

woe10

Have you checked your download speed with the Speedtest.net app. available from Google playstore.
If you're with one of the wifi providers in Caleta, the signal will fluctuate a lot at certain peak periods causing buffering. Normally when Footie or Corrie's on. Less than 4 mb, and you will have these problems. Ask to be upgraded to their highest speed.

warriors

Quote from: woe10 on February 06, 2017, 23:21:59 PM
Hi Woe, thanks but in Cotillo and have been into movistar and apparently there are no more slots to be hardwired into so looks like we will have to get the board games out!
Have you checked your download speed with the Speedtest.net app. available from Google playstore.
If you're with one of the wifi providers in Caleta, the signal will fluctuate a lot at certain peak periods causing buffering. Normally when Footie or Corrie's on. Less than 4 mb, and you will have these problems. Ask to be upgraded to their highest speed.

warriors

One question would we be better with a smart TV ??

Will196

If you're problems are the connection speed then no. You'd have the exact same problem.

You need to figure out the problem. Check your speed at

http://www.speedtest.net/

Do it with nothing else running. Turn off the TV box. Just your computer. Then post your results. If you have problem a certain time of day do it at that time and early morning . Compare

woe10

Quote from: warriors on February 07, 2017, 08:09:13 AM
Quote from: woe10 on February 06, 2017, 23:21:59 PM
Hi Woe, thanks but in Cotillo and have been into movistar and apparently there are no more slots to be hardwired into so looks like we will have to get the board games out!

"No more slots to be hardwired into" !! They told me that 15 years ago. They're useless. They need a Branson over here to give them a kick up the backside.
You've no chance of a landline then, you'll be waiting forever.

spitfire58

On a similar topic. Can anyone remind which server uses an aerial/receiver attached to outside of house to pick up theit internet service & if you have any info on them please. ie, good/rubbish etc . . TIA

F1REFLY999

Hi Ron there is a few suppliers on the island that use external aerial system, the one I use is Fuertewifi in Caleta and I never have an issue either watching Netflix/Kodi or surfing the web
La luciƩrnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

spitfire58

Quote from: F1REFLY999 on February 08, 2017, 23:25:16 PM
Hi Ron there is a few suppliers on the island that use external aerial system, the one I use is Fuertewifi in Caleta and I never have an issue either watching Netflix/Kodi or surfing the web

Thanks FIREFLY,
Unfortunately they don't cover where my house is 😔

Archer

NetService provide a rural internet service, as does Orange 4g en casa.

spitfire58

Quote from: Archer on February 09, 2017, 08:44:09 AM
NetService provide a rural internet service, as does Orange 4g en casa.

Thanks Archer. Was going to quiz both of them when out next week

F1REFLY999

Doing a quick search on the Google and came across this company http://www.satbroadbandspain.com/
La luciƩrnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk