Author Topic: Spanish war against tourists  (Read 2238 times)

Offline vivafuerteTopic starter

Spanish war against tourists
« on: August 12, 2017, 23:03:08 pm »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/840300/barcelona-spain-tourists-violence-residents-anger-beach-partygoers

I know its the express and they are numpties but this doesnt look too good

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
Re: Spanish war against tourists
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:02 am »
Something about biting the hand that feeds you! Having said that people who misbehave need to be punished

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:02 am »

Offline paully

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:05:38 am »
I suspect these are isolated incidents in a few, shall we say, high profile areas. The majority of Spanish realise that tourism is a lifeblood of their economy and will do what it takes to protect it.

Those running these protests will more than likely have `envy` running through their veins coupled with an overgrown sense of entitlement and little thought to the possible plight of their fellow countrymen  ::)

Offline Johnrgby2

• Real stupidity trumps experience every time
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:16:21 am »

Those running these protests will more than likely have `envy` running through their veins coupled with an overgrown sense of entitlement and little thought to the possible plight of their fellow countrymen  ::)

Sounds like quite a few Brits I know Paully

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:00 am »
I believe the problem is that people from all nationalities are buying up and renting out apartments through AirBB mainly in Barcelona, the knock on is it is having a substantial impact on rentable property available for the locals who are finding that local landlords are hiking up rents to crazy amounts. Its a "get the problem noticed" protest mainly by young Spaniards for the local council/Government to do something about the dire situation. I suppose this is an unforeseen consequence of AirB&B, it could happen across Europe in all major tourist destinations, it will be interesting to see how the authorities handle the situation.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »
It's been like that in London for years. Nobody let alone the young can afford rents and property prices in central London. Perhaps the Catalans should do what we've done and move out a bit. Can't remember Trafalgar square hosting Londoners moaning about tourists and Russian oligarchs buying up the property. Right or wrong we just seem to accept the way it is and get on with it.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:21:00 pm »
We don't do anything about anything Sparky, our society mainly consists of us moaning on forums like this and that's about it. I suppose the Spanish still have some family structure to their society and have decided to get off their backsides and do something about THEIR situation, good luck to them.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »
Thing is you can't have your cake and eat it. If they want mass tourism in places like Barcelona and the boost to the economy that comes with it, there is always a price to pay. I was there in April and i never found any animosity towards foreign tourists in fact quite the reverse. As everyone keeps telling us in Britain the world is a smaller place now and getting smaller by the day...get used to it. Like you I say good luck to them if they want to have a moan, but money talks. The minute the tourism cash flow starts to dry up businesses suffer and property and rental prices crash they will be moaning again and wishing it was back the way it was.

The following users thanked this post: paully

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 17:15:21 pm »
Actually its far more serious than I thought Sparky, I hadn't realised its across a great deal of Spain and the Balearic Islands, its being going on for some time. I suppose the Spanish fascist element is using the high unemployment of under 25 year olds to stir unrest, their using this is as an excuse to start their version of an Arab Spring, I think it could be a lot deeper than a Tourist thing.
Time will tell, I'm sure the Guardia will eventually quell the problem in their own friendly way.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 17:20:41 pm »
Actually its far more serious than I thought Sparky, I hadn't realised its across a great deal of Spain and the Balearic Islands, its being going on for some time. I suppose the Spanish fascist element is using the high unemployment of under 25 year olds to stir unrest, their using this is as an excuse to start their version of an Arab Spring, I think it could be a lot deeper than a Tourist thing.
Time will tell, I'm sure the Guardia will eventually quell the problem in their own friendly way.

The Balearic problem is much bigger than elsewhere.  Tourism in the Balearics has reached extreme numbers - Mallorca alone now has around 13 million tourists annually, about 5 times more than Fuerteventura.  Palma airport has around 1000 flights daily!

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 18:28:21 pm »
Unlike London the Balearic islands only has tourism to keep it going. It has nothing else. The Canaries are the same. How in all honesty can it be called a problem if it is their only means of economic survival. Not a problem ...more a salvation. I'm pretty sure Madrid will not want the expense of keeping their heads above water if tourism goes down the pan. It probably has enough problems to keep it occupied on it's own mainland what with the Basques and Catalans fighting for independence and sky high unemployment.

Offline waggy

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 18:40:41 pm »
It's symptomatic of Europe starting to fly apart, I'm afraid. First Greece being sidelined, now Brexit, what next - perhaps this as Spain starts to disintegrate. Seems that War is Humanity's default mode and Peace is the breathing space in between. We've had the peace....

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 18:59:05 pm »
Disintegration of the EU as a whole...not it's member states. The whole EU project was doomed to failure the minute the Euro currency was born and the ridiculous open border policy was assumed to be a good idea. Greece has not been sidelined... it has been indulged to the tune of billions of euros , and continues to be, due to not being able to keep it's own house in order whilst trying to juggle it's own economy to match up with others like Germany that are on a completely different economic level.
How glad I am along with 17 million others that we will no longer be a part of it.

The following users thanked this post: paully, luvfuert

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 21:40:55 pm »
Back to the Spanish anti tourist brigade, I doubt very much if it will have any serious impact on tourist numbers but the worrying thing for the Spanish government is possible off-shoots i.e. a group of like minded extreme individuals might become serious in other anti government protests which could lead to serious more extreme violent situations, lets hope it will just blow over, a flash in the pan.

Online erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 08:42:07 am »
Tourist infected cities in other countries like Amsterdam and Berlin also find the tourists a burden.
There are many demonstrations against the tourists and measures are being taken (like a 60 day/year limit for airbnb)

Offline DPP

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 15:01:26 pm »
anti tourist graffiti has been in evidence in corralejo for at least a year,on various spots between the harbour and bristol playa!!
dpp

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 15:24:46 pm »
Its laughable. 25 years ago they couldn't sell the land fast enough to developers and private buyers for tourism purposes. Land that was useless for anything bar building on. They couldn't care less who bought it as long as the dinero was rolling in. Now they are driving round in their 4x4's and living the good life with fat wallets made from selling their own souls they suddenly think tourists are the antichrist. Would they be prepared to hand back all their new found wealth to get rid of the so called tourist burden and start taking goat herding courses again. I very much doubt it. ;)

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 16:13:35 pm »
Say 25 years ago tourism was for the happy few.
Now everybody can afford to go abroad for a vacation.
Thus not only the numbers went up but the visitors came from all walks of life.
Not much needed to turn a blessing into a burden

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 17:20:49 pm »
They were still selling at a massive rate when i bought 15 years ago. And still are now as far as i can see. Lajares is spreading out at a horrendous rate. It won't be long before it merges with tamaragua.Someone is still selling off land. You either embrace tourism or you don't. There's no stopping half way down the line when you have made your money and asking to get off the merry go round.

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 22:44:54 pm »
I cant imagine who would be bothered about tourists in Corralejo, makes no sense, the Italians took over the place years ago. If they protested about the French or Russians visiting, well, they might have something, keep them out that's what I say.

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:24 am »
Tourists in Corralejo c.a.?
With the exploding number of visitors every available dwelling is let out to tourists at ridiculous prices with as result that the local population can't afford a place to live in.
How would you feel in their shoes?

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 11:15:15 am »

I can't afford to buy a property in London, hence I dont live there.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:37:22 am by vivafuerte »

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 11:24:19 am »

I can afford to buy a property in London, hence I dont live there.

So could I, would I live there?? and I did for five years. Not in a million years

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 11:31:16 am »
There are plenty of half built buildings in corralejo, why don't local authority turn them into affordable housing for the Spanish, rather than the present ongoing eyesores?

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 11:36:38 am »

So could I, would I live there?? and I did for five years. Not in a million years

sorry I missed the T off! will edit it now . . . . .

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
There are plenty of half built buildings in corralejo, why don't local authority turn them into affordable housing for the Spanish, rather than the present ongoing eyesores?

the law in spain is different to UK, with these half built projects whoever buys them has to also clear the outstanding debt that the last people built up as well as paying for the land/buildings etc.

it seems that the spanish would rather live with an eyesore on their doorstep rather than allow someone to take a loss.

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 12:10:30 pm »

sorry I missed the T off! will edit it now . . . . .
No problem :D

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 13:19:52 pm »
They can always change the law, it makes a lot of sense to me MalT

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 13:35:37 pm »

I can't afford to buy a property in London, hence I dont live there.

Talking about Corralejo, not about some place in GB

Offline Roar of the Rovers

• domestic goddess is our Jon
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 15:40:48 pm »
Might be totally wrong here but I thought the original concept of air B&B was to rent a room out in your house not your entire  apartment ,seems more like the authorities  need to get a grip on air B&B I've stayed in a couple of these places where it's just a room and the people were just trying to earn extra cash as wages/morg was a massive gap
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 17:17:41 pm by Roar of the Rovers »