Author Topic: Rural Internet Speed  (Read 442 times)

Offline StefanVTopic starter

• Loving Fuerteventura
Rural Internet Speed
« on: February 11, 2018, 21:25:30 pm »
I am living in Triquivijate, which is considered to be rural area.

I enrolled with a company that specializes in rural areas.

I opted for the most expensive rural option and pay nearly €50 per month for a service that promises 10 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speed.

Sometimes (but very rarely) that's what I get.

The last couple of weeks, 5% of the promised speed is the normal download speed here (500 Kbps)

I know there are some "satellite alternatives" these days.

Anyone here who has some experience with them (movistar, etc ...)

What speeds are you getting?

Thank you so much!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 21:27:23 pm by StefanV »

Offline fatherted

Re: Rural Internet Speed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 21:41:07 pm »
2.2mbps tonight (Sun) in Caleta. Not been good all day!

The following users thanked this post: StefanV

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 21:41:07 pm »

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 23:35:16 pm »
currently 11.36 download, yippee! (satellite service through Movistar) and 0.73 upload.

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 00:55:55 am »
We have netservice & had contracted for 6mgbt download but found it to be only about 2 so upped it last time to 10 & got about 5, this is in the evenings, sometimes still as low as 2 but generally fine during the day

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:46 am »
We are in Caleta, firstly all the ISP services use Movistar, they own all the hardware on The Island, we use a company called Eurona, previously Hablaya, when we first enquired they asked for our address, and came back 30 mins later and said we would get between 6 and 15 Mbps, we get 8/9 consistently very occasionally it will drop to 5/6 but not for long, so I assume it is the area in which you live that dictates the speeds rather than the company you use, but €50 per month does seem excessive, we pay €37 and that includes all phone calls to land lines and mobiles to anywhere in Europe and Canada, why Canada I Have no idea, if you are interested let me know and I will dig out their contact details, may or may not improve your speed but will be cheaper.

• Loving Fuerteventura
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 19:48:40 pm »
currently 11.36 download, yippee! (satellite service through Movistar) and 0.73 upload.
Hi Tamara,
Are you living in a rural area as well?
Is this "speed" something you have sometimes or most of the time?
TY,
Stefan

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 00:51:20 am »
Hi
Just retested and got 14.70 and 0.75. We're in the sticks in Tindaya, no landlines down our end of the village. The Movistar router was set to 3G but we changed the settings to 4G which we get most of the time. Occasional hiccup (once a week perhaps, or when bad atmospherics) takes it back to 3G but a quick turn off/on brings it back again, so pretty consistent. We also got Movistar to install a booster thingamy/aerial/receiver? up by the roof. The speeds and stability have definitely improved in the 2 years we have had the service.

In our experience Movistar will only install their 3/4G Sat Service if there is no land line option available to you and it costs us around 44/45€ per month
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 00:56:16 am by TamaraEnLaPlaya »

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 00:54:09 am »
Hi
Just retested and got 14.70 and 0.75. We're in the sticks in Tindaya, no landlines down our end of the village. The Movistar router was set to 3G but we changed the settings to 4G which we get most of the time. Occasional hiccup (once a week perhaps, or when bad atmospherics) takes it back to 3G but a quick turn off/on brings it back again, so pretty consistent. We also got Movistar to install a booster thingamy/aerial/receiver? up by the roof. The speeds and stability have definitely improved in the 2 years we have had the service.

That must be similar to the net-service system then Tamara, we have an antenna on the roof as well 🙂🙂

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 00:58:09 am »
Thanks Spitfire, that was the word I was searching for, antenna

The following users thanked this post: spitfire58

• Loving Fuerteventura
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:32 am »
Hi

In our experience Movistar will only install their 3/4G Sat Service if there is no land line option available to you and it costs us around 44/45€ per month

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation, Tamara.
I do consider making the switch to Movistar Satelite Internet.
How long did you have to wait to get that booster antena?
Also, is there an option to cancel their service? How many weeks or months are required to cancel.
Thanks again!
Stefan

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 00:06:44 am »
We got our booster antenna about 2 weeks after the original install as our original speeds were pretty appalling! Friends who had it installed last month asked for the antenna when they signed up for the package and theirs was put up as part of the install.
Cancellation - really sorry but I can't remember or find the contract  ::)
In the Corralejo shop there is a girl who speaks excellent English - she was very helpful to our friends. There are all sorts of extras as part of the current contract.
If you take out a Movistar contract you have to give them a Spanish phone number on which to contact you re the install - if you haven't got one you need to involve a friend/neighbour who can relay messages!