Mare Alta Tapas Bar

Started by SoCal, April 09, 2014, 21:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

As one enters El Cotillo from the east going straight into the ocean, Mare Alta is on the right just past the ATM and by the open park.

Atmosphere - enjoyable and interesting. Half of the eating area is covered and the other half is open to the air. The music was soft, amusing and added to the experience rather than overwhelming it. A TV screen played video of multi colored fish and later a documentary on Southern California surfing. No sound.  And the chairs did not force one into a stiff upright posture. Very relaxing.

Food - fine, nothing outstanding. I tried a spectrum of tapas: olives, sardines, fried shrimp, some bread and chili con carne. I liked the olives and the chili con carne was the most interesting in flavor, texture and odor. However, Torino's serves much better sardines. The sauces with the bread were amusing. The lighter one was bland while the tomato one tasted like a store based bolognese sauce, which I actually like.

Service - very fast and pleasant. Granted there only a couple other large tables present, yet I felt the single server attended me very quickly. Cash only.

So if you are looking for interesting and unique flavors, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you want to sit around with friends, drink sangria, nibble on some fish or olives, and relax, Mare Alta might appeal to you. I plan to visit again when I or my friends are looking for only a light meal.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

TripleH

Heard a rumour that Marea Alta has been sold. Anyone have any info?

bygcotillo

Sign on the door today says closed until the end of September.  Doesn't look any different inside......so who knows.

bygcotillo

Notice has changed to just ........CLOSED/CERRADO

suendrob

suendrob

Peered through the window. Still stocked, chairs lifted, left clean and tidy as if they expected to open. Doesn't look like a moonlight. Handwritten card Closed Cerrado. Mail has been picked up and put on a table, so someone has been in. No other clues.

duncolm

And no apparent change to report

TripleH

bygcotillo

Still closed, and getting deeper in bougainvillea flower heads!!  Seems a great shame as we have frequented it quite a few times.

Mark07

Yes, and the Accorolado was also shut for the whole of our recent 10 day holiday!!!

Heard that Mare Alta will reopen in Dec but don't know any detail.

bygcotillo

New sign on the door reads "Opening 1st January 2015"

TripleH

concerned cat

Several people cleaning the place up yesterday. Looks like it will be reopening very soon.

Mark07

Can anyone confirm if it has re-opened.

TripleH

To add to Mark07s question, If it has opened up then what has it opened up as?

warriors

the bar is open at the min why they have to wait for all of the necessary Spanish paperwork to get the kitchen signed off. The menu is a secret at the moment but will hopefully be good.!!

TripleH

Any idea who has bought it?

TripleH

any news on Mare Alta? Used to love this place

warriors

hi TripleH
As far as we know Luca still has it but it is been run by Pascal ,he has worked in Swiss bar and Concha, tall, friendly chap and Andy who also used to work in the Swiss bar-top bloke too.They have a new young chef from Madrid and were hoping to have a new menu but also keep some of the favourite tapas on too. Hope somebody posts who has been there in the last couple of weeks!!

jg

It was firmly closed on Thursday evening.
JG

Bertie

TripleH

Just wondering, again, how Marealta was shaping up

Mark07

TripleH - Looks like Forum members have evacuated Cotillo. We will just have to find out for ourselves!!
Due out late March, so will report back then, unless you get there first.
😜😜

TripleH

Cheers Mark07, we are out end of April. So keep us informed. Cheers

warriors

hi-we can happily say it is open for business but closed on Saturdays, still some good tapas on but also a specials menu board

Mark07

For Triple H

Just back from Cotillo. Happy to report that, broadly speaking, not enormously different to previous set up. As Warriors said, JP & Andy are in there. They are serving tapas but offerings are a bit different, and you can now get a steak. There is no dessert menu. Aim seems to be to keep things simple. We found the food good & the rustic feel remains. 4 tapas & 2 large beers = 21 euros. Would probably have visited again but it was pretty cool in there due to the weather. They have added a sofa & easy chairs to the open roof part. They had to scramble to save the cushions as it poured down for about 10 mins, fortunately we were in the covered bit.

Definitely will visit again when we are back in June - and it is warmer!

Have a good trip in April.

TripleH

Sounds good. Cheers Mark07. Will definitely give it a try and report back. thanks

TripleH

Tried it last night, the place has been cleaned up quite a bit. Tapas was every bit as good as before, slightly less choice, but not a problem

warriors

just got back to Blighty and can happily report its fully open (closed on Saturdays except first one of the month when they have a cocktail etc) tried most of the tapas and also had an excellent steak, Finest G&T in Cotillo-try one of Pascals Hendricks gins with cucumber!

Dave Diggler

Marea Alta used to be one of our favourite restaurants in Cotillo, how things change :(  We visited the newly opened MA last week hoping to re-visit the simple but delicious offerings that they used to offer. We walked in & noted several empty tables, but were warned by the waitress that there would be a 30min wait for food, not a problem, we're on holiday after all.  We parked ourselves at a table & ordered drinks.  The menu arrived & has changed somewhat from it's previous incarnation, most of the offerings appeared to be fried.  We ordered & sat back.  An hour & 2 rounds later the first food appeared.  The garlic mushrooms were thinly sliced (tinned?) slimy & tasteless.  The baby squid were fried to a crisp & tasted of burnt oil.  The cauliflower gratin was a lump of soft cauli with congealed white sauce, I could go on, but you get the picture.  Overall the food was, late, bland, un-interesting, poorly cooked.
Avoid.