First time on fuerteventura and first time going for an all over tan??

Started by Sylva, November 19, 2014, 11:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylva

Hi,
   First post so hello to all. As mentioned this will be our first time on the island and the first time that we (me and the missus) are thinking of taking the non textile option.
   I have read all the posts for first timers and the advice all makes sense, we are staying in a villa just outside of corralejo and will have a car to get about. The main thing I picked up was to stroll the beach until finding a fair number of naked bodies and we should be in good company and the right place. The only thing I am wondering is that,we are going in the second half of Jan, are we going to come across that many "bodies" to know at that time of year????
    I have to kind of get this right as my wife is excited by the prospect but nervous too and, whilst I know if I get it wrong I will just laugh it off, I don't want the experience to put the missus off at all.
    Any advice welcomed from what to take to which beaches to head for etc.......

Will196

Quote from: Sylva on November 19, 2014, 11:55:32 AM

I have to kind of get this right as my wife is excited by the prospect but nervous too and, whilst I know if I get it wrong I will just laugh it off, I don't want the experience to put the missus off at all.
    Any advice welcomed from what to take to which beaches to head for etc.......

What to take? I don't think it's any different to a textile beach. Is it? If you're shy an easy to put on cover up won't hurt. 

Other then that nobody forces you to go naked right away or even do it for all day. Find a nice spot and get comfortable. When you're ready you can work on the pale bits. If you feel uncomfortable don't feel you can't go back and forth.

I know people tend to suggest places with others but you may feel more comfortable the first few times on a more secluded area.

isleswing

Where to go? Any quiet beach will do. If it's quiet, it's unlikely that may textiles will pass along. Strip off and enjoy. Anyone who comes along will probably take your lead.
Failing finding your own beach, simply walk to the end of any busy 'textile' beach, that's where you'll find naked people.
What to take? Sarongs or Pareo at 5 european currency units each. There's masculine ones as well - I've got black with red geckos and others (including camo!) She can simply tie above the bust, either of you tie round the waist, or just have it to hand.
You're there to relax. For us, it's not about being naked per se, but about not having to wear clothes - it's two different things, really.

Enjoy

Sylva

Quote from: isleswing on November 19, 2014, 13:58:28 PM
You're there to relax. For us, it's not about being naked per se, but about not having to wear clothes - it's two different things, really.

Enjoy

Oh I quite agree, probably should have mentioned that it's the first time away without children in tow for 16 years and, after an incredibly stressful 18 months work wise, we wanted to have a break where relaxation was paramount and not worrying about anything  material (pun intended) is key. I guess we really want to feel free of ALL the usual constraints and get the most relaxing break possible.

I may have sounded like I am overthinking this a little (I can be like that) but I guess I just want to arrive and make the most of our holiday knowing I'm in the right place etc....P

SheilaW

Quote from: isleswing on November 19, 2014, 13:58:28 PM
Nice comment, isleswing  :)

Quote from: Sylva on November 19, 2014, 15:55:40 PM
we wanted to have a break where relaxation was paramount and not worrying about anything  material (pun intended) is key.
You're coming to the ideal place, IMHO. The first/last hotel in Corralejo, the Gran Hotel Natura, is itself fully naturist. You'll find that the whole of the beach from there to just short of the RIU hotels is a nice easy mix of textiles and naturists. The same applies to the other side of the RIUs, with one area that's predominantly naturist. It's so nice that everywhere's "clothes-optional": no-one's obliged to do what they aren't comfortable with - just do your own thing. Just "gird your loins" at the beach bars (topless is find but they do like a thong, sarong or towel "down below"). We've stayed in the GHN and have left from the beachside gate with nothing but towels and keys, although some of those around us were in full bikinis etc.

Magoo

Sylva

You do not say if you are renting a car or not. A car opens up a whole shed load of beach opportunities & gives you the option of doing some island exploring on less beach friendly days. Car hire is cheap, navigation is easy & the roads are good (Blacktop ones anyway) We found that by the time you have paid for airport transfer, a bus tour & a white knuckle ride in a taxi, you are in pocket & have instant transport at your disposal for the rest of your stay.

If you do get a car, take the short trip to El Cotillo & head North towards the lighthouse, the is a road running close to the coast.  Along there, you will find several lagoons with beautiful white sand. Lookout for other cars parked up off the road to give you a clue. At high tide, the lagoons are great for nude swimming, make sure you take a mask & snorkel to inspect the fish with. Away from the big lagoon near the town, most people are naturist unless it's a Spanish holiday (August) OK, you could do this trip on the bus, but remember that you need to carry all your beach gear with you & it's a long walk from the town in the heat.

I would also recommend a trip to the South of the island where they have some mind blowing beaches. Some are easy to get to, others require you to man up & do some uninsured off tarmac tomfoolery. However, the trip is worth it

Have fun & a great chillout

norbertm

Magoo, this year Cotillo was  a surprise for me, but not a pleasant one...lagoons where full of textiles, and i'm not talkig only about La Concha. Dunno why, maybe due to school holidays in Germany, lots of kids, too; fully clothed italians, mixed with "first time nudists", buses arriving from the big hotels in Corralejo and so on, even in the front of El Caleton only 20-30% nudists , extending far to north to Caleta Beatriz.

Magoo

Norbertm

We where there in September, & away from the main lagoon it was almost 100% naturist.  Looks like you were unlucky, what month did you go?

Got to admit that faced with an overwhelming amount of textiles, we would have moved on. No doubt Sheila W will berate me for this  ;D but we ate not hardcore naturists, just a couple who enjoy swimming & sunbathing nude.

Finding the sort of scene you describe would have been a huge disappointment, as we only visit the North of the island for one day of our usua two week stay

silent_running

I'd agree that based on our small sample of dates, which has been predominantly late Sept/Oct over the years, the beach at the main lagoon now has a greater percentage of textiles and the naturists further up towards the headland and across to Caleton (and beyond). We'd certainly be very robust about being naked there though!

Yesterday, which wasn't totally ideal from the weather viewpoint (but better than -2C we had back at Gatwick late last night), there was still a good number of naturists and we'd have said they were mainly from Germany.

norbertm

We stayed there in october, 5 days, arrived in 14 oct., and moved to south for 8 more days. I don't consider being myself unlucky as we (me and my wife) like to promote nudism everywhere it's possible :) so we usually stick to northest part of La Concha despite of being surrounded by an army of parents with kids. And of course, at the and of the day, some of the parents are naked or at least topless, too :))
The sadest part for me was the garbage (plastic bags carried by the wind and paper, bottles) seen along the dirth path north between the Faro and Caleta Beatriz... :(

SheilaW

Quote from: Magoo on November 25, 2014, 13:52:49 PM
Got to admit that faced with an overwhelming amount of textiles, we would have moved on. No doubt Sheila W will berate me for this  ;D
Oh dear, is that how I come across, Magoo? ??? A school-marm type: "Come on, line up everyone! On my command, STRIP!" :o In my defence, this is what I said earlier:

QuoteIt's so nice that everywhere's "clothes-optional": no-one's obliged to do what they aren't comfortable with - just do your own thing.
Personally, I'd be happy to strip in Trafalgar Square if I knew I wouldn't get done for it, and that others wouldn't gain from it (e.g. sell piccies). Not this time of year though :).

jg

My experience has been that textiles are starting to invade El Cotillo more and more. However that certainly won't make me dress to walk from my Maravilla apartment to the sea.
JG

amberambler

Hi Sylva.
1. El Cotillo, between village and lighthouse. Drive along this road to where the other cars are parked off the road and walk to beach. Superb. This is what are known as the lagoons.

2. Sotavento beach in South of island. It is a fair drive for you but you will see most of the island.......... and an enormous beach where you can walk for miles as nature intended.

3. Corralejo dunes. Drive (or walk?) south of Corralejo, park up and walk over dunes to the sea.

I'll be there late Jan for 2 weeks, so, lets hope the weather behaves!

MLA

We were here for the autumn half term, the Cotillo lagoons north of the main lagoon were deserted bar a few British and German naturists. Will be back there in 2 weeks for Christmas hoping to bbq on the beach   

RVEEE

Sylvia

I had the impression that you are concerned about the season deterring naturism.

Fear not, it may be winter for the local Spanish (who may be wearing overcoats) but for us northeners it's definitely beach weather.

MLA

Sylva, if the suns out and your out of the wind you will find it warm enough late Jan.

Sylva

Thanks for all the replies and advice, we will have a car so will try and check out as much as we can of what the island has to offer.
   We weren't so much worried about the weather not being warm enough it was more a question of would there be enough people on the beaches for us to know we were "in the right place" before stripping off, we feel that we would feel more comfortable in the company of like minded folk rather than finding a secluded spot only to then be joined by hordes of textiles if you see what I mean.
   I am really hoping this holiday will be the start of many regular trips as we certainly have found a "set up" that we could afford to do 2 or 3 times a year, I am soooo looking forward to this break and hopefully many more.

sunpics

8) Weather for getting your first all over tan should be fine with just the odd cloudy day late January.
We have had wonderful holidays late January early Feb. A  little tip buy a beach shelter to get out of the constant wind, it is a warm wind but sand gets in all those delicate area's and you will get a quicker tan if sheltered  from the wind.  No matter what beach you chose just get stripped of and enjoy your selves, just avoid the beach frontage of any hotels they are mainly the textile areas with families.
No one is bothered about anyone being naked on the beaches or dunes you can walk for miles naked.
One other little tip we always get a all over tan started before we go out , hire a sun tan canopy for a couple of weeks so when you get on the beach you can just strip off and get a great brown tan without fear of going like a beetroot for the first few days. Do not forget to put some good quality sun cream on all over.
One of the pleasures of going to Fuerteventura for a naturist holiday is applying the sun cream all over each other, your bits have not seen much sun before and the need extra care. The beach down from the two Riu beach front hotels is fantastic place to strip off and walk along the beach front or the dunes that are very fine sand. Have a great time and I bet when you have experienced it you will be back each year just like my wife and I are. Cheers Sunpics     :-* 

jamjar

"you will get a quicker tan if sheltered  from the wind"................... whatever gives you that idea?

decho

Quote from: gizmo17 on December 22, 2014, 22:55:45 PM
"you will get a quicker tan if sheltered  from the wind"................... whatever gives you that idea?
Yes, I was wondering that too?

sunpics

8) It makes life much more comfortable from getting constant sand blasting so you will stay in the sun longer and keep your belongings out of the sand. Your skin will keep the heat rays falling on them for longer.
If you are not convinced just lie on a sun bed or towel and get sand in all the unwanted places.
We get on the beach around 09.00 hrs and stay all day till tea time about 16.30 hrs then go back to the hotel for a shower and go down for a few drinks in the pool side bar then go up to the room and strip off on the balcony to take late afternoon sun and watch the sun go down and get dressed to go down to evening meal in the restaurant. Just so restful anyone who would want just to lie on the beach without any shelter has our sympathy.
The stone bovies are ok but most smell of wee and that,s not good in our book.
I will stick to our beach shelter thank you and get a much better all over tan without being sand blasted.
:P 8) Sunpics

jg

Quote from: decho on December 23, 2014, 04:05:17 AM
More to the point, the apparent cooling effect of the wind can disguise the burning effect of the sun, so be especially careful if in the wind.
Also do take special care to sunscreen the parts which have not been exposed to the sun before as these are particularly prone to burning - and can be particularly painful and embarrassing.
JG

Magoo

Quote from: jg on December 23, 2014, 08:14:59 AM
Quote from: decho on December 23, 2014, 04:05:17 AM

On Fuerty, I can burn on an overcast day or from sunlight reflected off the sand if I don't apply gallons of sunscreen.  It's a curse of my Irish ancestry. 
More to the point, the apparent cooling effect of the wind can disguise the burning effect of the sun, so be especially careful if in the wind.
Also do take special care to sunscreen the parts which have not been exposed to the sun before as these are particularly prone to burning - and can be particularly painful and embarrassing.

StefanV

Quote from: Sylva on November 19, 2014, 11:55:32 AM
The only thing I am wondering is that,we are going in the second half of Jan, are we going to come across that many "bodies" to know at that time of year????
I assume you are in Fuerteventura by now. If not, ... this page (and picture) might give you an idea of what to expect:

Red circles are nude people, green circles are textiles:
https://www.difff.com/profiles/showpost/name/beachandsun/post/465/

jamjar

I note that Sunpics reply did not address my query with the original statement..............speaking of lying in the sun longer just because you are out of the wind wont make you "tan quicker"?? what a load of cobblers........... :P

Sylva

Well, we've been here for a couple of days and to say I was over thinking things would be an understatement, have never been more comfortable with something new.
    The first couple of days weather hasn't been great but today has been glorious at El cotillo from lunch time onwards, once out of the wind of course.
   Both of us frustrated to have to put clothes back on as things cooled after 5pm but tomorrow is another day as they say   :D.
    Our villa is fantastic, the beaches perfect and we are already planning to come back in the summer.....

StefanV

Hi Sylva,
There are only 2 kinds of people in Fuerteventura.
Those who adore the island, and those who hate it.
I've never met anyone who was just okay with it.
Your enthusiasm reminds me of what I felt 8 years ago.
Since 2 years, I am a permanent resident.
Glad you love the island!

SoCal

Quote from: StefanV on January 21, 2015, 00:38:29 AM
There are only 2 kinds of people in Fuerteventura.
Those who adore the island, and those who hate it.

And this extends to those who have not visited the island. When I describe of living there for a couple months I receive the response of either, "Wow! Sounds incredibly relaxing." or "What the ef is wrong with you?"  :P
Biking and beaches - total freedom

Sylva

Well we are back now after a fantastic week and such an eye opener

We spent most of the holiday on El cotillio where you suggested MLA, dodging the clouds and and even the odd rain shower, when the sun was out though it was gorgeous.

We both completely embraced the nudist approach to the beach, even braving a little stroll along the shore, I would have gone further but the breeze was a little too chilly :D After a couple of days it wasn't just about the sunbathing though, I was just way more happy without any clothes on, so much so that the drive from the beach would find me just wrapping my pareo round because I felt I should. But once back in the villa that was gone.

I see a whole lifestyle change on the horizon, we have already looked into weekend naturist breaks in the uk for the summer and hope to get back Fuerteventura this year.
Unfortunately with a teenage family at home this will have to remain a getaway treat for us at the moment, I don't think the kids could handle this  :D

Thanks guys for all your tit bits of advice it really helped us get the most out of our break

Back to work tomorrow, must remember to put on some clothes  :D