El Hierro

Started by admin, October 12, 2011, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

I think a severe warning should have been posted by cllrcollins..BEFORE he posted that graph!!! It hit me straight between the eyes..if it does that at night gawd knows what it'll do in the morning before I've had my 2nd coffee.
jand..can I suggest a nice strong glass of scotch & a couple of valium before bed tonight and you may actually get a couple of hours sleep..and stop all this scaremongering..we're doomed, doomed, we're all doomed kinda stuff [xx(][xx(]
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

cllrcollins

"There are also dead fish and a strong smell of sulphur present. The earlier discussions regarding the moving of boats still in the harbour have been dismissed now."

Sounds a bit like Dublin on a sunny day at low tide[:D]

jand

Well Hev you will be pleased that this has just brought a big smile to my face ( sorry for the french language ) but its a f%%%%%ing corker (well if its true )

The new eruption spots have been detected by a  fisherman and people waiting in a cue to get their belongings from La Restinga. They had nothing else to do than discussing and looking out over the see. High tech like in the middle ages.

So much for the big wigs and scientists looking out for us!!!!

cllrcollins

"The new eruption spots have been detected by a fisherman and people waiting in a cue to get their belongings from La Restinga. They had nothing else to do than discussing and looking out over the see. High tech like in the middle ages."

Good man Jand, direct copy and paste from:

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

Including incorrect spelling of the word see. Just noticed, maybe we should ask Ronnie O'Sullivan for his opinion as he is a bit of a wizard with the cue himself[:D]

Far be it for me to doubt your credentials[:D] Say goodnight to your academic friends in various universities around the globe.

n/a

Just had a vindaloo and three pints. I am predicting an eruption of some magnitude sometime early tomorrow with a high chance of a strong smell of a sulphur like substance and lots of fish wishing they were somewhere else coinciding with a dark area some 500 meters off shore around the sewage outlet pipe.
Biskit

jand

As far as I understand the ship is now  on its way to El Hierro its being discussed now live on Canarian Tv.

Please could Cllr Collins confirm if this is correct.

Captain Sensible

One member of each of the families, that were evacuated from the village in El Hierro, were allowed to go back to their house last night to pick up anything they needed.

jand

As far as I understand all is not quiet earthquakes have been happening since midnight and the harmonic tremours are increasing again.

This can all be verified by look at the ign link for today.

longships

From Foreign office site:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/spain

We are advising against all travel to La Restinga in the south of the island of El Hierro in the Canary Islands.

There continues to be seismic activity on the island of El Hierro, Canary Islands. Following a volcanic tremor near the south side of the island of El Hierro on 11 October, the local government authorities have raised the risk level from yellow to red and have evacuated residents and visitors from the area of La Restinga.

Over the past 12 months there have been over 9,000 tremors, the largest measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale on Saturday 8 October. The Canary Government has confirmed three small scale underwater eruptions.  The first on the 10th October, 3 miles from the coast of El Hierro at a depth of 900m.  The second and third on the 12th October 2 miles from the coast at a depth of 750m and 1.5 miles from the coast at a depth of 500m. The local authorities have put in restrictions on fishing, sailing and underwater activities around the area of La Restinga.

The Canary Government asks residents and visitors to be vigilant and are encouraging everyone to check the following Government website for future updates. See Natural Disasters - volcanoes. We continue to liaise with the authorities and monitor the situation closely.

longships

Spanish web site linked from above post! there is a translation facility on the link!

http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/dgse/sismo_hierro.html

longships

Jand.  you are  based in UK according to your posts, or are you living in Fuerte? if so why stay there if so worried come home to UK till it is over!!

longships

10/12/2011 ... 22:48 (last night)
IGN scientists confirmed the first evidence on the surface of the volcanic eruption

fifi

There were some eruptions out at sea Longships which at the moment do not pose any risk to the Population although they are recommended not to swim or fish in certain areas.  This Youtube video shows the discolouration of the water and gasses  escaping from the sea.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtydI5er9Q&feature=youtu.be There is still only one town on Red alert and there were a  few tiny earthquakes this morning so all is reasonably quiet at the moment although the magma is on the move and this is far from over. It is likely that new fissures may appear. The situation is changing every day. Im finding it fascinating still.[:)]

Its good news if they got the ship fixed jand. They should be able to have a better look at the sea bed  with the underwater cameras when it finally arrives.

You can see the number, strength and distance of the earthquakes daily by entering the date and pressing the play button on this website.
http://www.avcan.org/?m=Animacion
 The Council are having another urgent meeting at 11am this morning so hopefully some more updates after that.

longships

y post prior to yours Fifi is from link I posted so they must refer to the offshore eruption! but the U tube  looks very close inshore!

fifi

I think your post refers to the deformation of the land on the Island but im not positive because I dont know the source of the information to check it. The land has swollen because of all the activity since July. Its interesting to follow isnt it Longships? [:)]

PS it has been confirmed that they were referring to the offshore eruptions.

longships

Very interesting the magic of the internet!

we are out in 2 weeks so keeping close watch!

pennylane

We're out on Monday night for 7 days. I've spoken to many people, residents and tourists and everyone's saying..don't worry and go on Monday..Easyjet said flights ok up to now....Did some googling and tried to follow nthe info but it's all above my head so I'm just trying to get residents to say if they are worried ?  I made the mistake of leaving the screen on with the graph and info re the activity and our Steph saw it and now she is worried sick.........not worried that we might not be able to fly back because that would be her dream..but she is worried that Fuerte might go under !!! tried to calm her down and I've played the whole thing down but......I'm still worried .....we will come but it's put a damper on things ....
Glen x

dazzle

Hi Pennylane,
I'm out soon too, and have been following this with interest. I am not in the least bit worried. I advise you to check out the Foreign Office website : http://www.fco.gov.uk
The graphs and discussions are fascinating, but if there were restrictions on travel, it would be posted on that site.

Captain Sensible

Don´t worry about it Glen.

We are following events on Canarian TV and in the press, and it is a topic of conversation; but no-one is too worried.

There are thousands of tourists on the island enjoying the lovely weather, and I suppose that most are unaware of what´s happening.

Think of yourself at the El Cotillo lagoons......... and don´t worry!

n/a

Don't worry, be happy. I am more worried about Americas response to the Iranian bomb plot. As it's WSW of Ferty there'd be no problem from the possibility of an ash cloud. Just stop reading all the doom and gloom postings and enjoy your holiday. The weather is gorgeous, the sea is calm and warm and it's paradise on earth so get here as soon as you can and just chill. [:8] A huge chunk of the cliffs fell into the sea the other day in Cornwall along a path I used to walk and cycle everday but I don't sea them evacuating Cornwall.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVjr4mii3cE) The internet is a great way of blowing everything out of proportion. Look at the Y2K bug that was supposedly going to be the death nell for everything computer driven at the stroke of midnight. Not a murmur but an awful lot of people got rich 'fixing' systems to stop them from crashing. You're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than be launched onto space by a volcano going off under your bum. Stop panicing Glen and come to our lovely island and brown your safe bum off in the sunshine.
Biskit

Florence

Yes - all is ok here Glen.  If it wasn't for the internet (and Canarian News) we wouldn't have a clue what was going on.  And our volcanoes are believed to be extinct!

fifi

Sent you a PM Glen on FB.[:)] La Restinga has risen a little and the West of the Island did sink according to this report.http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

The latest update from the Cabildo in El Hierro translated.http://www.emergenciaselhierro.org/

IGN scientists confirmed the first evidence on the surface of the volcanic eruption

They collected samples of water, fish and black coral for analysis

The director of the National Geographic Institute (IGN) in the Canary Islands, José María Blanco and the head of that center Geophysics, Carmen Lopez, later confirmed to be two spots that appeared to two and one-half mile from the Port of La Restinga "are the early evidence on the surface of the volcanic eruption that began last October 10. "

Following its analysis of the situation, both scientists reported that he had collected water samples will be analyzed to confirm the existence of magmatic gases, as well as fish that have been found dead in the same area and the rest of black coral has surfaced.

Carmen Lopez stressed that at present we have a single eruption with two points of emission of underwater nature, which makes it not necessary to take more preventive measures to the population that have been adopted. However, he assured that you can not rule out other points of issue but insisted that the tremor signal is stabilized.

Remember that the volcanic eruption currently has two emission points, the first of which is located about 750 meters deep and the second at 500.

little legs

glen i'm over here with my kids like someone said most tourist don't even have a clue where el Hierro is never mind about whats going on underneath the place, ive just had a lovely walk round caleta beach front fed the fish by hand and fed the chipmunks, the only reason i'm on here is its too damm hot to sunbath so get your bum over asap and enjoy

fifi

El Hierro Cabildos latest tweets......

The ship "Professor Ignacio Lozano", equipped with six crew members,has been made available by the Canary Institute of Marine Sciences. It will work night and day collecting data.

Copied from Earthquake report....http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/
Data update 13/10 – 13:57 UTC :  Our dreams will finally not come true! What happened? The French cableship Leon Thevenin was making cable inspection trips for the Spanish telecommunications company Telefonica. Telefonica, aware of what looked as a unique way of using the technology aboard the ship, offered the ship to the authorities. However .... negotiations (probably to charter the ship) did not deliver result as the ship is owned by a consortium of France Telecom, Portugal Telecom and Telefonica and talks were broken off.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT FOR SCIENCE!

Instead ... another ship, the Profesor Ignacio Lozano, will leave this afternoon from the Taliarte port (Gran Canaria). BUT, THIS SHIP IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH ROV's !  The ship will arrive in the eruption waters early tomorrow morning and will take images and water samples The news has been confirmed by sources close to the "Instituto de Ciencias Marinas"

Photo showing the current emissions. (Green blurry bits around the coast.)

jand

I think that is disgusting that thousands of lives COULD be at stake and they are stopping the ship comimg with equipment that could save them.

Has anybody else looked at the graphs today and please dont think I get any pleasure or kicks out of this or want to scaremonger but all the islands are now showing seismic movement.

Please have a look yourselves.

fifi

A new ship is on the way with the proper equipment and is due to arrive on Tuesday.[:)]

Update 13/10 – 17:56 UTC :  Diario de Avisos reports that the ship 'Ramon Margalef' currently anchored in Vigo, will navigate towards El Hierro and arrive there on Tuesday.  The Ramon Margalef will carry the ROV "LIROPUS 2000#8243;, a remotely operated vehicle able to dive to depths down to 2,000 meters.

The situation is calming according to some reports.

n/a

I'm in Caleta and El Hierro is 262 miles from here. Am I bothered by some cloudy water and a lot of headless chickens? Not a lot but the windsurfing was great today and not a Tsunami in sight. Lighten up people.
Biskit

kevin2003

quote:
I hope Kevin2003s popcorn is not going stale in Lanzarote.[:D]

It's not.
Abra su mente.

kevin2003

Just don't ask for butter sauce.
Abra su mente.

kevin2003

...even in Castillano there are no such words......
Abra su mente.