Photo ID

Started by balkwill.anne@sky.com, June 18, 2013, 21:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balkwill.anne@sky.com

I have just joined, so HI to everybody.
As I understand it, it is the law to carry photo ID on the island. I was wondering if it is OK to carry photos of passports instead of the real things? Wouldnt want to loose them or have them stolen when out and about!
Cheers.
Ron.

zedzedeleven

That`s what I did, photographed the picture page of my passport and the main page of my driving licence. then laminated them back to back. Probably not what the guardia would accept but better than losing your original documents. My expat mates living out there laugh at the thought of carrying id.
Mentor to the boneheads.

Brightspark

Quote from: balkwill.anne@sky.com on June 18, 2013, 21:23:19 PM
I have just joined, so HI to everybody.
As I understand it, it is the law to carry photo ID on the island. I was wondering if it is OK to carry photos of passports instead of the real things? Wouldnt want to loose them or have them stolen when out and about!
Cheers.
Ron.

Legally no, would you get away with it? quite possibly yes if they are in an ok mood but expect to get told to carry your original

cockney

I never carry my passport but do have a photo driving licence which I carry all of the time and find it handy when paying bills by credit card.

woe10

You will need photo ID to pay with credit/debit card as BS said. Photo driving licence normally sufices.  If you're driving and get pulled over, you will need photo ID & Driving licence or you're in trouble. You're not allowed to laminate your Residencia Card.  I wouldn't chance copying and laminating your passport page. Not with these Guardia here.

peggy

Just wondering if a seniors bus pass with photo be accepted as I'd.  ;D

SheilaW

When my husband had to send his passport away for renewal, he was very worried about not having the required documentation on him. So he had the bright idea of taking his passport to the local Notaire* and asking for a notarised copy. He gave us a really impressive colour copy with stamps and signatures etc everywhere in exchange for just a very few euros. It worked perfectly well in the post office and for a credit card payment. Luckily, we didn't have to test it out on the Greenies.

It is an absolute pain having to carry a passport around - it's totally unsuited to the job. I know official complaints have been made to the EU about Spain's refusal to issue us with residents' photo id, but I daresay there's quite a long list of complaints to see to.

Edited to say sorry, that's the French word! Notario in Spanish

thomo

you used to get a photo id which was   your residentia a small plastic card which was accepted as your id card but guess who made such a fuss about them they were discontinued  THE BRITS Talk about an own goal

Books Cards & Things Corralejo

When you go for the medical for your driving license you have your photo taken and the certificate issued has the photo on it. I wonder if that would be sufficient?