Putting your own stamp on a rental property??

Started by jamjar, June 22, 2014, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamjar

We are looking at long term rental for our move to Corralejo in 18 months time, probably a furnished apartment. We will want to put our own stamp on the place so that it feels like home. Has anyone any experience about how landlords react to wanting to change furniture, hang pictures on the walls, etc???

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Hi Gizmo
I think every letting is likely to be different and may be influenced by the behaviours of previous tenants! An awful lot of lettings just last for 3 - 6 months and the tenants do nothing to improve or even maintain the standards while they are there, so landlords can be understandably reluctant to allow personalisation.
However, we have had nothing but co-operation and understanding. Perhaps because we are retired and asking about how many years we could rent the place for?  ;D
For example: the small fridge that was in residence was on its last legs. Rather than have the landlord replace with a new similar size one we asked if we could buy our own large fridge freezer and the existing fridge be removed from the inventory - no problem. Same story with the ancient TV that was as deep as it was wide! (Might even have been B & W - we never even turned it on!), and mattresses. To be honest it never even occurred to us about hanging our pictures - we just went ahead and did it. Every six months or so the agent comes to check property we rent (and see if we have any concerns) and they have never queried anything we have done.
Good luck!

SheilaW

There are some fairly standard contract wordings that apply, and some templates can be found online along with some translations. Basically, you're not normally allowed to alter the exterior, knock down walls or repaint in a different colour, at least not without permission. But smaller jobs won't specifically be covered - though perhaps you have to be in a position to undo those changes if forced to when you leave. I know my tenant is making all sorts of little adjustments and I'm just happy that he's feeling as though it's his home and will therefore want to look after the place.