Moving out to Fuerteventura

Started by AviationFanatic, June 01, 2017, 16:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AviationFanatic

My parents and I are in talks about moving over to Fuerteventura next year, but we are wondering whats the best way to bring stuff over i.e. furniture and boxes full of things.

My mother says its best to fly things out but I think it would cost to much.

I think it would be better to driver most of the things over excluding the furniture.

My father thinks it would be best to hire a moving van and do it that way but will moving vans travel 1500+ miles there and then 1500 miles back?

What have people done who have moved out over there done?

decho

Woodside cargo have an excellent reputation.

spitfire58

Defo Woodside. Very reliable service & door to door if you need it (it will cost though)

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: spitfire58 on June 01, 2017, 18:21:03 PM
Defo Woodside. Very reliable service & door to door if you need it (it will cost though)

Totally agree use Woodside Cargo

spitfire58

Quote from: zedzedeleven on June 01, 2017, 23:24:59 PM
Burn it all, you will not need it and it will look out of place in Fuerte.

Bit of an exaggeration Z !! Everyone needs furniture & when you see the variety of things on all the sale sites there is a mix of all kinds of furniture from nice to number two so doubt that anything would look out of place.
However, I would look closely at the costs involved because we have just furnished our place & it was probably a 50/50 mix of UK & Fuerte. Costs for some items is high on the island. IMO

calculator

Yes, leave your furniture and white goods behind.

Firstly, people usually sell houses fully furnished. So you might be lucky.

Secondly, learn to adapt to life in Fuerteventura - less pressure to buy the most expensive stuff as you won't have anyone to impress. Spaniards/Canarians like to keep up with the Jones - you're an immigrant and don't have to do the same.

In UK, I was an audiophile, lol. Gave that up completely here. In UK, I spent thousands on unique pieces of furniture - all sold for a pittance. Let it go, let it go, let if go.

All you need to begin with is a bed. Build your new life over the following years. You might even pick stuff up at the rubbish - you know you've adapted to life here when you start doing that!!

zedzedeleven

Quote from: spitfire58 on June 02, 2017, 09:47:43 AM
Quote from: MandK on June 02, 2017, 09:17:01 AM
Some good advice here, bring over a minimum ...but if you have to bring a load, you cant beat TC freight  http://www.tcfreight.co.uk/    top company, great cost.

404 error on the link MandK, cheers . . Ron
http://www.tcfreight.co.uk/
Mentor to the boneheads.

MandK

Quote from: zedzedeleven on June 02, 2017, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: spitfire58 on June 02, 2017, 09:47:43 AM
Quote from: MandK on June 02, 2017, 09:17:01 AM
Some good advice here, bring over a minimum ...but if you have to bring a load, you cant beat TC freight  http://www.tcfreight.co.uk/    top company, great cost.

404 error on the link MandK, cheers . . Ron
http://www.tcfreight.co.uk/

Cheers,  they are far the best we have used,

Johnrgby2

To give you a price guide a mate of mine moved over in January, shipped mostly personal things including TV, PC and Coffee machine etc took up 100 cubic Feet, about the size of two three seater sofas stacked on one another, cost £1295.

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on June 05, 2017, 11:49:10 AM
To give you a price guide a mate of mine moved over in January, shipped mostly personal things including TV, PC and Coffee machine etc took up 100 cubic metres, about the size of two three seater sofas stacked on one another, cost £1295.

JR2, ha ha. Think you have something wrong there. A standard 20 foot container is approx 128 cubic metres. That price would get you approx 5 cubic metres with Woodside, unless I am way off 😀😀

haydon

We used Tim at TC Freight last August brilliant service and would recommend we packed a 20 foot container with all our furniture and white goods

spitfire58

Quote from: haydon on June 05, 2017, 18:22:35 PM
We used Tim at TC Freight last August brilliant service and would recommend we packed a 20 foot container with all our furniture and white goods

Hi Haydon, for general info would you like to say what this cost ?

Johnrgby2

Quote from: spitfire58 on June 05, 2017, 17:48:52 PM
Quote from: Johnrgby2 on June 05, 2017, 11:49:10 AM
To give you a price guide a mate of mine moved over in January, shipped mostly personal things including TV, PC and Coffee machine etc took up 100 cubic metres, about the size of two three seater sofas stacked on one another, cost £1295.

JR2, ha ha. Think you have something wrong there. A standard 20 foot container is approx 128 cubic metres. That price would get you approx 5 cubic metres with Woodside, unless I am way off 😀😀

Yes another Senior moment, should have read 100 cubic Ft ::)

spitfire58

Quote from: jamjar on June 25, 2017, 15:36:05 PM
When we moved last year we sold all our furniture in the UK and we came with 4 suitcases full of clothing and the possessions we did decide to keep and ship out went into 10 containers total size no more than about 8'x4'x4' and came via one of the companies already mentioned on this thread. They did however let us down, and we had to wait 4 weeks longer than expected to get our shipment. So I would not recommend them.

No point in your "non recommendation" jamjar unless you say who it is. It just puts any company mentioned so far in the bad books. IMO

woe10

Seeing as nobody gave you a link to Woodside Cargo, here it is

http://www.woodsidecargosl.com/

Don't even THINK about flying it over. Your Mother is wrong  !!!

jamjar

Quote from: spitfire58 on June 25, 2017, 18:00:04 PM
Quote from: jamjar on June 25, 2017, 15:36:05 PM
When we moved last year we sold all our furniture in the UK and we came with 4 suitcases full of clothing and the possessions we did decide to keep and ship out went into 10 containers total size no more than about 8'x4'x4' and came via one of the companies already mentioned on this thread. They did however let us down, and we had to wait 4 weeks longer than expected to get our shipment. So I would not recommend them.

No point in your "non recommendation" jamjar unless you say who it is. It just puts any company mentioned so far in the bad books. IMO
If the OP wishes to know and sends me a pm I will gladly tell them of our experience, but not going to name and shame on the forum.....

Johnrgby2

but not going to name and shame on the forum.....

So rather than that you take the scatter gun approach and shame all of them ??????????????

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on June 27, 2017, 20:18:09 PM

but not going to name and shame on the forum.....

So rather than that you take the scatter gun approach and shame all of them ??????????????

My thoughts as well JR2😁😁

MandK

People make a good living out of thick Brits with a sheep mentality over here , open your eyes, take advice and above all learn ....

woodside

Am I allowed to ´name & shame´ our worst Client ever on record? (who does sound familiar, but cannot guarantee)...  ;D 

Johnrgby2

Quote from: woodside on June 28, 2017, 14:11:23 PM
Am I allowed to ´name & shame´ our worst Client ever on record? (who does sound familiar, but cannot guarantee)...  ;D

Go on Caroline go for it :D