Can anyone tell me how many euros( thousands ) I can bring to Fuerte ,
I'm trying to avoid paying commission re transferring from my UK bank acct ,

Many thanks

F1REFLY999

Use Transferwise and avoid the charges
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

caza

I do have a transferwise, but you still get charged !
Think it's around £5 per £1000

Globetrotter

Quote from: caza on September 16, 2016, 16:45:19 PM
I do have a transferwise, but you still get charged !
Think it's around £5 per £1000
Better to lose a few pounds than the whole lot  :)

caza

Just found out that cos I'll be taking in/out of EU there is no limit !

Johnrgby2

Quote from: caza on September 16, 2016, 17:46:14 PM
Just found out that cos I'll be taking in/out of EU there is no limit !

Rather you than me.

caza

Do I need to be concerned taking a large amount of euros , although there is no limit within theEU ??

caza

Getting confused !!!

I've just researched more and it says Canary Islands aren't covered by the EU rules .

Can anyone confirm this please ?
Thanks
::) ::)

Archer

If this is to buy a home, then some Notary's ask for proof of where the funds originated. Not easy with cash! I had a prob with IoM held funds from Nationwide.
If it is to pay bills, you will need to pay it into your Esp a/c. Most uk expats find their a/c is 'checked' regularly by the authorities, for which they get charged a fee, for the pleasure. Again some explaining to do.
Some banks will not handle more than â,¬600euro in cash.
This is my experience...other people may differ.

SheilaW

The Canaries are not in the Fiscal EU. We don't have VAT, but we have low customs limits, we have to import even our own already-owned belongings. Those customs limits mean there's a very low amount of cash that can be transported legally. Look on the UK gov website for the allowances outside the EU - they're the same as here - 1 litre spirits, 250 cigarettes, and I imagine it will say the cash limit too.

In some respects we're regarded as a tax haven, though that doesn't seem to prevent me having huge tax bills. I would be very wary of doing anything that might be regarded as 'fiscally shady'.

If it is for a house purchase, contact Sabadell. They have special arrangements fora large transfer if you're taking their house insurance. It can be cancelled after a year.

Windermeregolfer

Hi Caza

We have used UKForex for transferring money over for our purchases this year including paying direct to contractors and transferring money into our Sabadell Atlantico Centre Branch account. I have found UKForex rate slightly better than Transferwise and defiantly much better than the banks.

I don't quite understand your initial question, if you were referring to â,¬ in cash to try and save the small commission fee then you would have to consider what exchange rate you are going to get in the UK to buy the â,¬'s and certainly in my experience the brokers such UKForex or Transferwise offer a far better rate than the banks and Post Office. 

caza

Many thanks for all of your replies and advise .

Have a good wk/end

Only 4 more sleeps till I return  :) :) ;)

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Forget all the considerations re exchange rates/commission/limits - it's just not safe to carry large amounts of cash! You could lose the lot with no comeback, surely paying a small commission can be considered worthwhile insurance? Don't take the risk, it's not worth it!

Deso

Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

caza

Myself and â,¬"s arrived safely 😀

within the allowance .

MLA

UKFOREX currently at a Rate of 1 GBP equals:   EUR 1.1500
No fees