Beer Bike 2

Started by Johnrgby2, November 01, 2017, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnrgby2

from the BBC.

"Amsterdam has banned beer bikes from its street amid complaints about rowdy tourists being drunk and disorderly.
A court ruling on Tuesday paved the way for the contraptions to be banned from the Dutch capital, saying they were causing a "public order problem".
The bicycles are a popular way for tourists celebrating group events, such as stag parties, to travel around Amsterdam.
Critics say they have become an example of the problems caused by mass tourism.
In a statement, Amsterdam District Court said that "the beer bicycle may be banned from the city centre to stop it from being a nuisance".
"The combination of traffic disruptions, anti-social behaviour and the busy city centre justifies a ban."
The beer bikes are small carts that have been modified with bicycle seats arranged around a bar table."

paully

Full story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41830304

Like a lot of ideas, good in theory but not in practise
I HATE computer thingyss

zedzedeleven

You have to wonder though, did the beer bike idea attract the yobs or would they have been there in some bar with their objectionable behavior anyway?  The article doesn`t actually blame the beer bike for any rowdyism, just banned it because of the potential to become the transport of choice for the yobs. Begs the question, who but a bunch of drunken drongo`s would be seen dead on it anyway?
Mentor to the boneheads.

esty

Corralejo has a different type of tourist. It doesn't attract yobs so it's very unlikely beer bike Corralejo would have had the same issues as Amsterdam. Gran Canaria don't have these problems why should Corralejo. You have to blame the companies running the business' s in Amsterdam for allowing the sort of behaviour reported. Drunkeness would not have been tolerated on the one in Corralejo so not in the same bracket as Amsterdam plus there would only ever have been 1 in Corralejo. If someone wants to get drunk they'd go to a bar rather than booking a trip on a beer bike it's not about drinking it's about having fun with friends just something different to do. It's in the hands of the courts now in Gran Canaria so we have to wait for a judgement.

zedzedeleven

For the life of me I can`t think of a suitable place in Corralejo that this unwieldy contraption could manoeuvre successfully around. It probably could trundle down the high street fairly well but how could it get back up again? Especially crewed by a pack of drunks.
Mentor to the boneheads.

dagwood

Can you get special Muffins in Corralejo

paully

Quote from: zedzedeleven on November 03, 2017, 09:52:45 AM
For the life of me I can`t think of a suitable place in Corralejo that this unwieldy contraption could manoeuvre successfully around. It probably could trundle down the high street fairly well but how could it get back up again? Especially crewed by a pack of drunks.

Even more impossible ZZ now that the bottom part of the main drag from the Hoplaco roundabout is being fully pedestrianised. Forget the back streets, there are so many badly parked cars it`d be stuck for hours trying to get through, by which time they`d all be legless ;D
I HATE computer thingyss

esty

It's no bigger than a small transit and you see plenty of them down the back streets. Don't you worry about it anyway it's not happening. All this talk about drunks being on it it wouldn't have happened. Anyway it's academic now we've been stuffed up by the council all we can hope for now is a judge doing the right thing and compensating us.