Corralejo property advice

Started by Stranger Times, September 12, 2016, 21:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger Times

Hi all,
Newbie who just found this site -just what I've been looking for! Don't do 'Twitbook' so all new to me, please play nice.
Been reading all posts especially Ironsides Wi-Fi
I'm am looking to buy a property in Corralejo had 4  great holiday years at Suitehotel Atlantis before the last 4 at Gran Canaria.  Always loved the fact that Corralejo was a port and a 'proper town'
Plan to spend £200,000 all in including taxes property is for personal use not holiday let wanted min two bedrooms and a private roof terrace. Also access to a pool, ideally wanted move than 50 sq m ideally 75 sq m I only currently enjoy 25 days leave a year so initially my time will be limited here but I aim to spend my retirement here when I can.  I have wife and two grown up children so need enough living room for 4 adults.
The cheaper properties on outskirts first really attracted me especially for the space and initially i didn't want to drive or hire car but prices seem reasonable for the amount of time I will spend here at first.  Naturally properties get smaller closer to centre but if my children want to use property in summer I know they wont want to hire a car.

So can you guys offer some opinion on the complexes in and around would dearly love to hear from someone either living in the areas?
How do you find living on outskirts? Is anybody around the las Americas area and still on foot if so how is this?
Thanks for all the great posts on supermarkets, bikes, and local knowledge , restaurants and the rest this site has been a goldmine.
I'm heading out in October for a recon visit thanks in advance.

SheilaW

You can get quite a lot for that. I'd look in the areas around El Campanario, maybe El Sultan, also the lower end of calle Guirre (Las Americas etc). Also to the west of the strip and tge Bristol area. All walkable. Even further south is walkable in but need taxi back up hill - â,¬5. May be a bus soon too.

Stranger Times

Thanks SheilaW,
I have been looking at El Sultan but you may be surprised to know that last two properties on there went for $210,00 and £225,000 euros so with fees its tight for me but good for those already on property ladder.
I have been google driving around resort which has been great but I wanted to know if anyone who resides on island has decided to forgo the pool and if so how have they found it? is it ok most of the time but unbearable in August?
Reading the car hire posts has opened my eyes and I am now considering being a little further out maybe even the next resorts up coast?
If anyone is willing to share experiences I'd be most grateful.
Kind Regards
ST

decho

Check out Marina Village up by the Golf Course. Ok it's as far away as you can get in Corralejo but access is easy and taxis cheap. And once the new road opens it will be even better.
You will get a 3 bedroom spacious villa up there for that price.
We bought there 3 years ago and price have doubled in that time but still less than what you want to spend. We have 2 swimming pools, tennis courts and padel ball courts. If you want more info PM me.

Stranger Times

Snowdrop

If you don't want to install a pool you can buy very large round plastic paddling pools. You can get in 8', 10' and 12' sizes and maybe even bigger.  The 10' ones are 30" deep and easily fit 2 lilo's to give you an idea of size.  Prices are around 40-60 euros and come with a pump.  Then buy chlorine tablets for it and replacement filters - which the fereterias all sell.  they tend to last about 18 months then will need replacing.  I wouldn't waste my money again buying a pool cover for them. 
You can also buy cheaply outdoor showers that you just attach to a wall or have free standing and connect to a hose pipe. 

Stranger Times

Thanks Snowdrop,
had some excellent feedback from you and decho, think I will definitely place some sort of community pool or space for hot tub or pool or my essentials list.
There are some great properties in the Geafond area with the space I want so may choose this area rather than town centre itself, unless I find something fantastic in October when I visit.

If anyone is living in Geafond Id appreciate your view on living or holidaying here.  I dont intend to rent out only family to stay here.
Thanks in advance.
ST

MalT

My advice is spend a week looking at properties with agents,you need to get a feel for area and prices, we looked all over and eventually found one right on the beach, just need patience to get one that fits you. Good luck looking.

decho

Quote from: MalT on September 15, 2016, 16:46:23 PM
My advice is spend a week looking at properties with agents,you need to get a feel for area and prices, we looked all over and eventually found one right on the beach, just need patience to get one that fits you. Good luck looking.

Excellent advice, well worth spending the time and money on doing this.
Go walking, get a feel for all the areas...I walked for miles before I bought  mine. Also worth renting in the area you are thinking of buying.

Stranger Times

thanks i am going to spend a lot of time in the area saw a lovely place by the Mercardona but wondered if there was a constant stream of HGV's reversing as you would expect in the uk?

Thanks
for all help
ST

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: Stranger Times on September 15, 2016, 18:51:56 PM
thanks i am going to spend a lot of time in the area saw a lovely place by the Mercardona but wondered if there was a constant stream of HGV's reversing as you would expect in the uk?

Thanks
for all help
ST

No! I've never seen more than 1 HGV delivery per day. It drives into the car park, unloads around the back, and drives out again, no fuss or noise.
More disturbance came from the dustmen. When I lived there they emptied the big wheelie bins 6 nights a week around 4am but you soon got used to it and you only hear it if you live quite close to the road.

Stranger Times

nobbyz

Hello Stranger Times,

did you find anywhere?

If not, I have a place that fits all your criteria around the Campanario area....

Regards
Nobby

Stranger Times

Hi Nobby
sorry for the delay in responding I been rather ill for about 3 months and not viewed forum during this time.  Frustratingly my mothers property which is funding the purchase has not yet sold but please pm me with details of property I have been keeping up with the market
Regards
ST