Author Topic: French Air Traffic Controllers Strike 10th October  (Read 680 times)

Offline el caballo hambrientoTopic starter

French Air Traffic Controllers Strike 10th October
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:16 am »
Going back to Stansted with Jet 2; I had the worst plane journey back ever on 10th October. The French air traffic controllers' strike was the problem.  They boarded us on the plane on time, closed the doors and then announced that due to the strike we would be delayed. We were kept sitting on the plane for 3 hours until they got a slot to take off.  They served no water until one hour had passed.  There was very little movement of air and it was soooo hot.  Some people were starting to feel ill.  We should have taken off at 13 15 but we took off at 16 30.

Offline spitfire58

• Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
Re: French Air Traffic Controllers Strike 10th October
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:31:14 am »
That is absolutely shocking. Happened to us recently on a flight from Southampton to Edinburgh, got us on board & then said had to wait for over an hour for an unaccompanied minor who had to get on (we were last flight to Edinburgh that night). At least they gave soft drinks free. Don’t know why they can’t leave you in the terminal in these circumstances tbh !!

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:31:14 am »

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:49 am »
A while after the water was served they gave us free soft drinks.

Offline Ducks

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 00:19:49 am »
Don’t know why they can’t leave you in the terminal in these circumstances tbh !!

People would wander off and they might be likely to miss slots in the case of not being able to board people quickly enough.

I was left sitting on the tarmac for 90 minutes in the US earlier this year due to bad weather. No refreshments either, which I didn't mind since I always bring a bottle or two with me, but they wouldn't let anyone into the toilets as they weren't sure when they were going to be offered a slot. One guy (not me!) made a crazy run at the 60-minute mark, and the attendants were buckled in and couldn't stop him in time. They had to call up to the cockpit to inform them there was a passenger out of his seat (sitting at the exit seat, I was privy to the entire call) and we missed a slot over it since they can't taxi until all passengers are sitting with belts fastened for safety rules.

I absolutely hate waiting around, and I have no doubt this was a nightmare experience with which I sympathise, but sometimes these rules aren't just petty functionaries getting their jollies at the expense of others. There can be good, rational reasons behind them.

That said, I can't believe the ATC strike in another country is allowed to affect this many people so far away. Looking at the map of what counts as French airspace, surely it's very, very possible to re-route flights from the Canaries to the UK/ROI? Maybe those routes were grossly backed up, though, I don't know. Sorry you had to experience all of this!

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:52:11 am »
I thought that they would re route us but the route back was the usual one.  They do re route sometimes; I have known planes from the UK to Fuerteventura arrive late in Fven due to being re routed out of French air space because of, yes, again, French Air Traffic Controllers striking. 

Offline paully

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 13:39:14 pm »
El Caballo, what a load of tosh and whinge.

I too was on that flight and yes it was delayed 3 hours due to the shirking lazy idle useless French..On the other hand the Jet2 crew were outstanding..The doors were left partly open it if you'd adjusted your air ram above your head you would have got air con...The Captain left the APU running, despite it costing fuel to run but made life bearable.They brought out the water soon after the first delay announcement was made, although with a full load it might have taken more time for some than others..water was available on demand from any cabin crew who were excellent throughout the flight.

You forgot the bit about the Captain inviting all the kids to the flight deck, and the older ones. You could put your phones, ipads etc on..There was a good spirit on board, everyone was talking and joking..Jet2 did very well on this occasion.In fact I didn't hear any views to the contrary.

As to routing, from enqs elsewhere, the alternative tracks to the west of French airspace were full at that time and we were just unlucky, but we had to be boarded and good to go in case a slot suddenly became available..

Some poor souls were stuck on Ryanair planes for a similar time...still I'm sure O Leary looked after them better eh

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 13:42:01 pm by paully »

Offline dagwood

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 17:42:23 pm »
It’s amazing how two people delayed on the same plane have such a different recollection of what took place. I’m sure Jet2 like all other airlines did their best to make things as comfortable for the passengers as possible. Both the flight and cabin crew had to be ready for a quick departure if a slot came available. Now if someone on a Ryanair or Eazyjet flight complained about the heat, water etc. I’m sure it would be conciveable that another passenger on that flight could have a completely different  experience to report.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 17:43:55 pm by dagwood »

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 18:21:52 pm »

El Caballo, what a load of tosh and whinge.

I too was on that flight and yes it was delayed 3 hours due to the shirking lazy idle useless French..On the other hand the Jet2 crew were outstanding..The doors were left partly open it if you'd adjusted your air ram above your head you would have got air con...The Captain left the APU running, despite it costing fuel to run but made life bearable.They brought out the water soon after the first delay announcement was made, although with a full load it might have taken more time for some than others..water was available on demand from any cabin crew who were excellent throughout the flight.

You forgot the bit about the Captain inviting all the kids to the flight deck, and the older ones. You could put your phones, ipads etc on..There was a good spirit on board, everyone was talking and joking..Jet2 did very well on this occasion.In fact I didn't hear any views to the contrary.

As to routing, from enqs elsewhere, the alternative tracks to the west of French airspace were full at that time and we were just unlucky, but we had to be boarded and good to go in case a slot suddenly became available..

Some poor souls were stuck on Ryanair planes for a similar time...still I'm sure O Leary looked after them better eh

The water was served one hour after closing the doors.  I did twist and adjust the air con ram above my head but it gave out very little air.  Opening the cabin doors eventually just increaed the temperature because it was bringing in 30C air into an already hot cabin.  As a result they had to shut them again.  People were feeling ill and some tried to use the more powerful air con rams in the galley.  The lady in the window seat in my row refused to close the window blind to keep the heat down.  She said she sufferd from claustrophobia but why would she have a window seat if she did?  I do not think she was being totally honest. I did not criticise the staff so be accurate in what you report from an OP.  The atmosphere between peeps around me was good natured to start with but deteriorated when they said we would be delayed for at least another one and a half hours.  They should have cancelled the flight the day before.  I stand by my accurate report.  Regarding O Leary you should find out how they were treated before making oblique remarks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 18:35:14 pm by el caballo hambriento »

Offline paully

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 18:50:22 pm »
Well ok, we got water long before you did, and the were serving from both galleys..I didn't find the aircraft over hot, nor did anyone around us..row9..as for cancelling the flight the day before, well sorry just can't take you serious at all..3hour delay is always better than a week's wait...

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 19:01:24 pm »
Well ok, we got water long before you did, and the were serving from both galleys..I didn't find the aircraft over hot, nor did anyone around us..row9..as for cancelling the flight the day before, well sorry just can't take you serious at all..3hour delay is always better than a week's wait...

It could have gone on for longer and eventually we would have had to have been taken back to the departure lounge.  As it was such an unknown I say cancellation is best.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 19:33:08 pm »
I do believe that Donald Trump would feel right at home here.

Offline paully

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 19:56:05 pm »
Could be right old son, but El Caballo tried the same argument on in the Trip Advisor forum

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k10937647-Jet_2_French_Air_Traffic_Controllers_Strike_10th_October_17-Air_Travel.html

and seems got a right mauling from the Trumpies on there as well ;D ;D

Offline dagwood

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 20:50:24 pm »
Being a complete outsider and as Vivafurte says a raciest(even though they picked the wrong post) I find this quite amusing.