El Goloso del Cotillo

Started by SoCal, April 14, 2014, 13:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

El Goloso is better described as a café, bakery or patisserie.  For breakfast or lunch.

Atmosphere: One of the few places I recommend eating indoors. The external view is ... best left not described.   Indoors is a nice dark wood with small tables, a display case used as a counter and loaves of bread on the wall.  Very pleasant.

Food: I have sampled a panini and croissants and thought they were excellent.  The panini where not large, nor full of filling, but they were favorful and filling.   My almond croissant was delicious – nice and flaky with a sweet but not sickie sweet almond taste.   Coffee excellent – strong, with rich flavoring. The best I have had on the island. They also have quiche and quite a selection of pastries; however, I'm haven't tasted them for I fear I might start eating too many deserts.

Service: you order at the counter, pay and then sit and eat.  The place is small enough, this is not a burden.

Overall, there is a reason El Goloso del Cotillo (and there is one in Lajaras) is #1 by Tripadvisor.  I have been happy with everything I bought there and now stop by for all my bread purchases. A single mini-baguette with Nutella and my own coffee in the morning makes a very filling and inexpensive breakfast.   Several years ago I stopped by this bakery when it was a different name and wasn't terribly impressed, hence avoided it and wasted 2 weeks eating store bought bread.  What a difference with the new management. There is a reason why this week the line goes out the door and by 11 AM nearly all the bread is gone.  Great for families with kids.

I'm surprised this place has been listed yet.  Highly recommended.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

jg

El Goloso is one of the reasons why I keep coming back to El Cotillo.
I don't eat there very much but walk (naked) down the beach first thing every morning for fresh plain croissants and whatever bread I fancy to take back for breakfast.
I regularly also buy quiche and/or tarts or other confections if we are eating in at the apartment for lunch or dinner respectively.
We have never been disappointed.

The current French bakery management is also totally reliable.
In its previous incarnation it was a German bakery and when and whether it opened depended very much on what the proprietor had been doing the previous evening.
JG

Logitechtom

This delightful cafe has had an extension and make over recently. The inside is (at least) twice the former size as the bakery has moved to Lajares and the cafe seating area has extended into that space after removing a partition wall. Very nicely decorated.

It can get very busy, especially at 08:00 with everyone waiting for the doors to open so they can buy the fresh, still warm, bread.  Lunchtime can also get busy with lots of food being purchased to take back to the beach. Otherwise, it's usually quiet and pleasant.

Great coffee and fabulous cakes!!!

Enjoy :-)

SuperDave

Is this the one near Asiatico chinese ?

Logitechtom