Solicitor & surveyor required!

Started by Ducks, September 24, 2017, 09:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ducks

We're getting closer to pulling the trigger on a property out here, so I thought I'd start soliciting recommendations for a solicitor. Someone who speaks English and German would be helpful, since as we're buying in the South of the island, our vendor and all his side of things are German!

We're also wondering if a surveyor is a good idea? The property is fairly new (under 15 years) and is an apartment, so there can only be so many problems, but it's something we're considering. Does anyone have a recommendation, or did everyone just skip this step out here as it doesn't seem to be the done thing the way it is back home?

Any help appreciated!

spitfire58

Quote from: Ducks on September 24, 2017, 09:07:01 AM
We're getting closer to pulling the trigger on a property out here, so I thought I'd start soliciting recommendations for a solicitor. Someone who speaks English and German would be helpful, since as we're buying in the South of the island, our vendor and all his side of things are German!

We're also wondering if a surveyor is a good idea? The property is fairly new (under 15 years) and is an apartment, so there can only be so many problems, but it's something we're considering. Does anyone have a recommendation, or did everyone just skip this step out here as it doesn't seem to be the done thing the way it is back home?

Any help appreciated!

Hi Ducks,
Don't know about a solicitor down that end although I don't suppose it matters where as long as they get the languages right. Surveys just don't seem to get a mention here, lol. Not like back home !!

Ducks

Doubt I'll get any recommendations for people around here (the South's a myth, you know!), but anyone generally would be fineâ€" it's a small island, and the bus runs to Caleta and P. Rosario pretty regularly.

The issue about surveys is a little more complicated. I know most people don't bother, but we've brought and sold at home a few times always with surveys, so the prospect of doing it without one is really nerve-wracking! The building is small and looks fine structurally (none of those giant scary cracks, for example), but we're not trained to know.

Has everyone else here who's bought done so without a survey?

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Ducks on September 24, 2017, 15:45:26 PM
Doubt I'll get any recommendations for people around here (the South's a myth, you know!), but anyone generally would be fineâ€" it's a small island, and the bus runs to Caleta and P. Rosario pretty regularly.

The issue about surveys is a little more complicated. I know most people don't bother, but we've brought and sold at home a few times always with surveys, so the prospect of doing it without one is really nerve-wracking! The building is small and looks fine structurally (none of those giant scary cracks, for example), but we're not trained to know.

Has everyone else here who's bought done so without a survey?

Yes we did

pegtee

Munzer & Asociados.  Rosario.  928532481.  They speak
German and excellent English as well. They have a second office in Costa Calma.
I have used them for different things and found them very good. I think they would be able to advise on a surveyor as well.

Archer

Ducks. If you are buying an apartment in a block, then normally the Community is responsible for the building, I think you'll find. They also cover the insurance (not contents). This is included in the Communidad charge if you have one!
This is written into the 'horizontal' land laws. And your lawyer will be able to tell you whether it is written in the Community rules. That's why a surveyor is not usually needed on this type of building.
We used Napoleon Gonzalez, Puerto Rosario twice. There are many posts already on other lawyer names, numbers and recommendations.

RVEEE

I used Napoleon Gonzales based in Puerto, when I bought down south, it made no difference to the process. He did everything very efficiently (opening bank accounts locally, registering deeds, NIE etc).