Corner Rock Commercial Suicide ?

Started by spongebob squarepants, July 11, 2014, 23:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spongebob squarepants

This week they've sacked the band and dismantled the stage to make room for more tables (?!). The formula now seems to be that they are a restaurant but still with the blaring (on screen ' rap' type) music. So now come 10pm the staff instead of dashing about serving trayloads of beer to appreciative rock fans, are all standing around folding napkins for empty tables! Does Corrie need another restaurant when they were one of the best live music venues in town ? Rock Cafe is OK but I never worked out how you actually get another beer there - it seemed the one waiter was busy doing nothing.

swanseajack

We past 12.30 Thursday night there were only a few people in there. Got told last night by a guy that used to work there it is being turned into a Mexican restaurant.

jamjar

Well it cant do any worse if it is turned into a mexican restaurant as the food we had on our last trip in May was disgusting. Shame that its no longer having live music though.

admin

There's a new Guardia Civil chief in town and he's been laying down the law re loud music.

spongebob squarepants

Quote from: admin on July 17, 2014, 02:33:30 AM
There's a new Guardia Civil chief in town and he's been laying down the law re loud music.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds them !

swanseajack

A new sign going up today Cantina Mexicana Don pepe, talking about loud music that La Freddy bar the music was blasting out 1.30 this morning.

spongebob squarepants

It seems they've decided to do more of what they're rubbish at (food) making them like so many other mediocre restaurants in Corrie - and have abandoned what they were good at (music and beer late evening). Doesn't make sense to me - have they read any of their reviews ?

spongebob squarepants

Does anyone know how this "new" place is doing ? When we go to Corralejo in September we're fully expecting to see it shut. Also if the Guardia Civil were laying down the law re loud music when it was Corner Rock how come Rock Cafe is still in business ?

SheilaW

It's still open but normally almost if not completely empty when we pass. And guess what? There's live music much of the time ... duh :-X Although I don't know who would prefer someone in a twatty oversize Mexican hat coming up to their table over a professional group like Crazy Goats.

Rock Café still get plagued by police visits and the occasional closure. It's a real pain for all the bars. People bought properties behind the Strip, presumably because they enjoyed the night-life. Why else? Then they got old or something and want to go to bed at 10 pm in complete silence. Every property deed around there ought to make mention of the local conditions that have to be liked or lumped. Hopefully Rock Café will continue to make its very agreeable noise, though they are now real clock-watchers - not even an encore after midnight :(.

spongebob squarepants

Thanks Sheila - I'm guessing there is a strong possibility of it being shut by September then. Not that we intended to visit there anyway, I was just curious to know if giving up a (apparently)  successful formula as Corner Rock would make them as successful in the guise of another mediocre restaurant. I think you've satisfied my curiosity perfectly !

As regards the residents it seems like another case of biting the hand that feeds them.