Author Topic: Portable Mifi Router  (Read 379 times)

Offline wawawTopic starter

Portable Mifi Router
« on: January 22, 2017, 19:03:33 pm »
Does anyone know if a portable MIFI router will work in Jandia.
I basically want to connect mutiple devices to the internet but don't want to be tied into a contract where i pay every month. I just want to pay for usage as and when required.

Offline Will196

Re: Portable Mifi Router
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 19:24:03 pm »
It'll work just like a smartphone. Vodafone used to have a tourist data only offer. IIRC on the island it was less then €15. Not a huge amount of data . Maybe 1.5GB but the offer lasted three months for the €15.

I'm sure others have data only offers. Just look at the pay as you go sections

The following users thanked this post: wawaw

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 19:24:03 pm »

Offline kustard83

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 23:19:56 pm »
We are over in Caleta for 3 weeks soon and was thinking of getting a mifi,but I am a bit confused by the SIM options.Is it that easy that i can just buy a local  prepayed SIM and away i go? We just like to browse the news/facebook etc.Can any body help ,throw some light on where to get a SIM in Caleta and the approx cost and how much data usage i am likely to use on 2 tablets over the 3 week period. Thank in advance for any info received.  Kustard83

Offline spitfire58

• Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
    • Scotbrite Services Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:31 am »
We are over in Caleta for 3 weeks soon and was thinking of getting a mifi,but I am a bit confused by the SIM options.Is it that easy that i can just buy a local  prepayed SIM and away i go? We just like to browse the news/facebook etc.Can any body help ,throw some light on where to get a SIM in Caleta and the approx cost and how much data usage i am likely to use on 2 tablets over the 3 week period. Thank in advance for any info received.  Kustard83

Hi kustard,
I have one which I use all the time out there. We also initially wanted a more reliable wifi signal than a lot of the resorts had so purchased a Hauwiea (??) mifi unit. Great wee thing, does exactly what we need. Now having got our own place out there for holiday use & same as wawaw not wanting to be tied to a monthly cost/contract am looking at something similar. ie a router that can take a SIM card & with an antenna booster. You can get SIM cards most places but we got ours in the electrical/camera/phone shop down near the Aberdeen Steak house if you know it. Very helpful guy in there (the son), knows a lot & will look at all the options for you & recommend the best. We have an Orange SIM card, approx 15€ for I think 3gb data, topped up at any supermarket, good signal & very reliable. HTH

Offline kustard83

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »
Thanks for that Spitfire,think i will go ahead and get one ,it was the Huawei that i was looking at.I can't think of a phone shop near the Aberdeen (should do have stayed at Puerte Caleta apartments many times) Do you mean the gift shop across from the supermarket or on the other side near hotel Caleta?   Thanks kustard.

Offline spitfire58

• Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
    • Scotbrite Services Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:28 pm »
Thanks for that Spitfire,think i will go ahead and get one ,it was the Huawei that i was looking at.I can't think of a phone shop near the Aberdeen (should do have stayed at Puerte Caleta apartments many times) Do you mean the gift shop across from the supermarket or on the other side near hotel Caleta?   Thanks kustard.

It's on the left as you head down the street towards the Aberdeen. You know the line of shops with Villa Florida at the end. A couple of doors along from the good cigarette/booze shop. . Cheers . . Ron