Painting a new Aluminium door.

Started by cockney, May 07, 2017, 18:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockney

I asume that some have done this so was it succesful, did you have to rub it down to provide a key? Did the paint stick well or does it chip easily?

Chris1965

May be best to use a spray paint for a better finish?

Windermeregolfer

This may be a silly question but why paint at all or why didn't the supplier of the NEW door ask do you want it powder coating in a colour of your choice, which would have been be the best finish anyway.

Agree with Chris spray paint would give a much better finish but  you have the task of masking everything up.

Archer

As WG says, the supplier should have treated it before it was constructed. Anodised finish is the usual treatment, or if you want a 'painted' look then powder coating is the norm.
Aluminium needs to be acid etched prior to any primer being applied, else it will just flake off. Not easy, as it needs multiple chemical dips to do a proper job.
Saying that, you can buy primers that do a half decent job at etching the surface. Try the paint shop near Ikea and see if they stock these.

cockney

This is an entrance door and the community requires that it has to be compatable to all other entrance doors on the outside (Green). However, the lounge is white and the door looks heavy. To have a door made with different colours on each side was very expensive and virtualy a double skin door. I would imagine that this problem occurs on most patio door sets and the owner paints the inside. Has nobody done this?

alex1977

Can't see why keying priming and spraying wouldn't  work? It's internal so no weather on it.
A lot of work to do a half decent job, costly in material and protecting the room etc

Timbo

I've used Hammerite. SMOOTHRITE WHITE on many aluminium doors and frames with great results and as yet no peeling. Just be sure to clean the door thoroughly first. Don't even need to prime.

cockney

That's what I was waiting for Timbo, somebody who had actually done it themselves. It seemed a simple task but I was bothered about it peeling or chiping.