Cruise ships

Started by ashworth, November 30, 2017, 07:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Sensible

I saw the Aidasol dock in Puerto at 4.45pm.

ashworth

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 16, 2017, 20:40:13 PM
Sorry but I think the port is worth a miss when the liners are in. There aren't that many cafe's shops and restaurants worth talking about anyway, so having to compete with 2,500 extra people for the port's minimal facilities wouldn't be my idea of a fun day out. That includes Rotundas.

There are 2 small cafes that overlook the port. They give you great views when the ships are in. The food is also good and both well worth a visit.

Captain Sensible

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 16, 2017, 20:40:13 PM
Sorry but I think the port is worth a miss when the liners are in. There aren't that many cafe's shops and restaurants worth talking about anyway, so having to compete with 2,500 extra people for the port's minimal facilities wouldn't be my idea of a fun day out. That includes Rotundas.

There are lots of cafes and bars on the pedestrianised Primero de Mayo, and in all the streets around the centre.  It never gets crowded when there are 2 cruise ships in port.

Ivemovedon

Then I can only think most of the passengers don't get off the ship. I've been to PDR enough times to know it's pluses and it's limitations as far as that goes.

I'm not putting it down just for the sake of it, it's a reasonably nice place for an afternoon out if you live there or are even on holiday for a couple of weeks. But I have to say I wouldn't be overly impressed with it as a port of call on my cruise itinerary. 

FRY

Cruise Ship sailing passed El Matorral yesterday.  (Click it for full size pic)

Mr Boo Boo

Been on a number of Cruises (and more to follow hopefully), think if I had to stop off at PDR then I would stay on the ship, but thats my opinion (and we love Fuerto just not big fans of PDR)

Johnrgby2

Quote from: FRY on December 19, 2017, 14:14:37 PM
Cruise Ship sailing passed El Matorral yesterday.  (Click it for full size pic)

That's The Aidasol, must have been around 16:35?

Mr Boo Boo

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 19, 2017, 08:54:58 AM
Then I can only think most of the passengers don't get off the ship. I've been to PDR enough times to know it's pluses and it's limitations as far as that goes.

I'm not putting it down just for the sake of it, it's a reasonably nice place for an afternoon out if you live there or are even on holiday for a couple of weeks. But I have to say I wouldn't be overly impressed with it as a port of call on my cruise itinerary.

Cannot blame them staying on board :o :o :o :o best part of PDR is the road out IMHO  :o :o :o

ashworth

Quote from: Gramster on December 19, 2017, 15:40:10 PM
Been on a number of Cruises (and more to follow hopefully), think if I had to stop off at PDR then I would stay on the ship, but thats my opinion (and we love Fuerto just not big fans of PDR)

Why would you stay on the Ship when you can go to the Sand Dunes or El Cotilo for the afternoon like many Cruise visitors and other holiday makers  who come to Fuerteventura do. Very Strange.. 

Ivemovedon

I was under the impression we were talking about PDR. If the ships in long enough a trip to Cotillo or the dunes might be nice. Not sure if cruise passengers would be aware they actually exist though.

bedouin

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 19, 2017, 08:54:58 AM
But I have to say I wouldn't be overly impressed with it as a port of call on my cruise itinerary.

All over the world, the majority of cruise ship ports aren't places where you'd really want to spend any time. 

Ivemovedon

Only been on one cruise...around the med. Barcelona , Malaga, Lisbon and Gibralter among a few others were all docking places I enjoyed. Not sure I'd go on another...unless I reach 85, but it was ok, and the on board facilities were very good. Food situation can be a bit overwhelming though. It doesn't stop coming.

dagwood

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 19, 2017, 19:14:46 PM
Only been on one cruise...around the med. Barcelona , Malaga, Lisbon and Gibralter among a few others were all docking places I enjoyed. Not sure I'd go on another...unless I reach 85, but it was ok, and the on board facilities were very good. Food situation can be a bit overwhelming though. It doesn't stop coming.
Ah yes The Captains table and the chocolate sculpture night, the later was excellent for blood sugar control. When you feel peckish you can visit the Lido and snack on a 10oz steak before bed time.
And before you blow up, no it was available but I did not partake in the gluttony of it all, Just enjoyed a reasonable three meals per day plus afternoon tea when on board.     

Ivemovedon

On ours they had a buffet waiting for you after an evening out on shore.  Scarey amounts of food. Daggy  3 meals and afternoon tea sounds reasonable..but depends on the quantity consumed.  ;)

dagwood

Quote from: Ivemovedon on December 20, 2017, 19:38:09 PM
On ours they had a buffet waiting for you after an evening out on shore.  Scarey amounts of food. Daggy  3 meals and afternoon tea sounds reasonable..but depends on the quantity consumed.  ;)
You could actually turn right or left and munch your way back to where you started on the QE2 but you had to stay strong. Breakfast, lunch,afternoon tea and dinner and stick to it. If you ate you meals in the dining room and not the self service you had a better chance of normal portions.
The entertainment on board was also very good.

Johnrgby2

Yesterday saw The Aidavita and The horizon in Rosario.

Today we have the return of The Aidaprima, with its 3400 passengers and 900+ crew.
And in addition

The Marella Dream

Photo Vittor Guerra Lisbon 2012, at the time she was called The Thompson Dream.

1500+ passengers and 600+ crew

Built in Germany 1986, has had a number of reincarnations since new

Originally named

1986â€"1988: Homeric

Renamed
1988â€"2002: Westerdam
2002â€"2010: Costa Europa
2010-2017: Thomson Dream
2017-present: Marella Dream

Was originally built to carry 1132 passengers, but was lengthened by nearly 40 metres in 1990 to her current configuration.

Was involved in a collision in Sharam el Sheik in 2010/2011, which killed circa 4/5 people and injured a similar number, including If my memory serves me, a couple of passengers.

Report of the incident carried out by The Egyptian maritime authorities ruled Private and confidential, and to my knowledge has still not been published.

But again happy days if you are a trader in Rosario.

Johnrgby2

Aidaprima back in Rosario this morning, along with The Oriana

Photo Ray O Donahue Cork 2014

Built Germany 1995

Passengers { max} 1928

Crew 794

She is 260 Metres long and has 10 passenger accessible decks.

This ship was designed specifically for the British cruise market,  and the original owners P&O wanted her built in The UK, but there were no shipyards in The UK with the capability to build her, hence they went to Germany to get her built??????????????????????????????