Living in a Caravan

Started by Grampiangranny, December 26, 2015, 19:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grampiangranny

I have been considering buying an old caravan and living on the malpas, over by the surf beach in El Cotillo and renting out my Fuerte property to provide an income.  Does anyone know if the authorities would allow this?

PHo

In a word, no.  You can only camp there for specific periods, I think Easter and Summer, in specified places, and you need a licence

emmi

Interesting question.  I am sure PHo is right.  But what if you had a motor home or your caravan could be easily towed.  Could you not move it from place to place every so often? No idea, just a thought.

isleswing

I can't imagine how the laws are enforced, as there's quite a few squatters dotted around the Island. We've seen a girl in a van by the lagoons at El Cotillo for at least 4 years.
I'd think that you could get away with it for quite some time if you're discreet, keep things tidy and move about occasionally.
Have you tried asking some of the other squatters how they get on?

Grampiangranny

Really, isleswing  :o  Are you suggesting I'm squatting?

isleswing

I wasn't being judgemental in using the word squatter. It is in use in English Law. It translates into Spanish as colono usurpador.
Broadly, it means occupying land or property without permission. I'd like to see an alternative word to describe it.
But, seriously, have you tried talking to the others? They'll tell you the rules and laws. They can also give tips on how to get round them  ;).