Fruit Trees

Started by Island Beach, October 19, 2016, 23:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Island Beach

What Fruit trees can be grown in Fuerteventura ? Lemon ? Orange ? Mango ? Papaya ? Guava ? Soursop ???? etc etc   

Have you had any problems growing fruit trees ?

TamaraEnLaPlaya

It really depends where you are on the island, mainly what protection you have from the wind and what your 'soil' is like. Most citrus fruit can be grown if protected from the worst of the winds although they do seem to get quite a few pests.
Papaya seem to love it here but need to be very well drained as small plants as young roots very fibrous.
Figs do very well.
Pomegranates love it here as well and I think they look like Christmas trees covered in orange/red baubles!
Happy Plants do a South American cherry shrub which is evergreen, nice looking plant, and tasty, very dark cherries.
I've had no luck with apricots.
Not tried apples/pears and have seen very few on my travels although some trees in La Oliva/Villaverde bear beautiful blossom in the spring that looks like it could be these.
Chinese gooseberries do well.
I brought a Jostaberry (Blackcurrant/Gooseberry cross) from the UK which did really well but it didn't survive a move out here, I think it had got too big. I need to get new cuttings from the UK.
Other people may have had totally different experiences!
Hope this helps, you can get really good advice from Happy Plants about what should do well in your particular location/how you can best prepare your soil.

Forgot to mention Passionfruit - they love it here!

SheilaW

I have a banana (not that it's a tree but it's higher than my house!) and a papaya, both bearing fruit. I was warned off citrus fruits and grapes as there are supposed to be lots of problems with both here. Olives do well (but mine are not the edible sort). Friends have figs and mulberries that fruit well.

More fruit but not trees: I had a very nice physalis (those orange fruit posh restaurants use as a garnish) that was mighty prolific until the mealy bugs killed it :(. And passion fruit can get truly rampant and have to be cut back every few minutes. And of course prickly pears used to be a major industry here (or rather the beetles that fed on them were).

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Thanks Sheila - how could I forget the bananas and olives! And not to mention the prickly pears - they are sought after in our village, people make an alcoholic drink from the fruit or a preserve or just eat them, and of course the 'leaves' themselves are edible - just treat everything with extreme caution as there are the big visible prickles and then the fruit has millions of tiny hair like prickles which are truly dreadful if they get in your skin.
Was just about to write 'melons' when I remembered we were talking about trees, not just fruit!

calculator

Everything grows with TLC and water.

Our collection..........
Olive, fig, manga, soursop, persimmon, guava, quince, avocado, almond, carob, pitanga, mulberry, peach, nectarine, lemon, lime, pomelo, passionfruit, orange, mandarin, plum, nispero, banana plant, grapevine, pomegranate.

Lots of work but very rewarding.

Will plant papaya soon; last ones failed.

The trick is to plant more than u need as u will have failures. Water regularly and abundantly. Fertilise but get to know your trees/plants. Chemicals are totally necessary. Anyone farmer that claims they farm  ecologically are lying!!

Forgot to say...........apple, apricot and pear.

SheilaW

Quote from: calculator on October 21, 2016, 10:34:03 AM
It's certainly nice to be able to choose what to grow i.e. if you don't water the bits in-between the plants you won't get them filling with weeds! But I can't get raspberries to thrive here. I've given them shade and plenty of water but they're never happy. And I've heard that it simply isn't worth trying hops at this latitude (or is that longitude?).
Is ginger a fruit or a veg? Anyway, mine seems to be doing OK at the moment, but the leaves are going yellow around the edges. Someone needs to invent really cheap undersoil cameras so we can keep an eye on our roots.

Island Beach

Our collection..........
Olive, fig, manga, soursop, persimmon, guava, quince, avocado, almond, carob, pitanga, mulberry, peach, nectarine, lemon, lime, pomelo, passionfruit, orange, mandarin, plum, nispero, banana plant, grapevine, pomegranate.

The trick is to plant more than u need as u will have failures. Water regularly and abundantly. Fertilise but get to know your trees/plants. Chemicals are totally necessary. Anyone farmer that claims they farm  ecologically are lying!!

Wow Soursop and Guava.  Did you dig hole and add better soil ? or does these fruits love volcanic soil ? I have been told, oranges, lemons, all no no, as hate volcanic soil, and yet you guys growing everything.  when we get landscaping our garden, could sure do with some help.   Where did you buy the Soursop and Guava from ?   Another I would like is the seedless red grapes ???

MLA

Quote from: Island Beach on October 21, 2016, 21:53:18 PM

when we get landscaping our garden, could sure do with some help.   Where did you buy the Soursop and Guava from ?   Another I would like is the seedless red grapes ???

You could try facebook - FuerteGardening

calculator

Quote from: Island Beach on October 21, 2016, 21:53:18 PM

Our collection..........

Wow Soursop and Guava.  Did you dig hole and add better soil ? or does these fruits love volcanic soil ? I have been told, oranges, lemons, all no no, as hate volcanic soil, and yet you guys growing everything.  when we get landscaping our garden, could sure do with some help.   Where did you buy the Soursop and Guava from ?   Another I would like is the seedless red grapes ???

If you listen to the "locals", you'll never achieve anything!!

We have success with almost everything. dig a hole, put plant in hole with some compost and local soil and that's it. Water and monitor progress. You'd be surprised at the results. Don't micro manage - I think that's where a  lot of people fail - too much water/fertiliser, etc.

Pests are the big problem. e.g. we have guava fruit at moment but tainted with pests as we didn't spray pesticide at correct time. Next year we pay more attention!!

Citrus - no problem. We are collecting oranges at moment - delicious. We have lemons most of year.

We get trees from Experimental farm, Pozo Negro (available at a specific period during year); Also, The garden centre, Puerto; A nursery in Puerto - C/Alfonso or C/Reyes Catolicas; Oasis Park - garden centre La LAjita.

Our project has been in operation for 5 years and is growing.

Island Beach

where did you get the soursop plants from ? 

Island Beach

Can Soursop fruit be got from local garden centres ? and mango and papaya ?

Which chemicals do you use ? that wont harm pets ?

Slightly off topic, but can coconut palms be grown easily, ??

Island Beach

Our collection..........

Lots of work but very

Forgot to say...........apple, apricot and pear.

Where can I buy a soursop tree from ??