Internet tv box

Started by peanut123, January 01, 2017, 23:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut123

Hi can any one help, i have heard people have bought like a internet tv box to receive english channels and sky sports, it this correct and where can i get one from we are just near caleta
Thanks

spitfire58

Hi peanut,
Don't know about getting deliveries to the island but these boxes are widely available on Amazon, eBay etc. Might be easier to get someone to bring one over for you

mooro

Fuerte wifi in the Montecastillo centre have them

Windermeregolfer

Globetrotter

I know its dificult getting stuff there from Amazon but if you can get someone to bring you one out......
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L72ZBDK/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Globetrotter on January 02, 2017, 15:49:52 PM
I know its dificult getting stuff there from Amazon but if you can get someone to bring you one out......

I have no difficulty getting stuff delivered from Amazon, and it comes VAT free, now Ebay is a different matter.

Globetrotter

They are good but not as easy as just pointing a remote and getting the channel you want, but certainly worth the effort, plus plenty of people to help or google it, plenty of pages of help on the subject.

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on January 02, 2017, 17:26:46 PM
Quote from: Globetrotter on January 02, 2017, 15:49:52 PM

I have no difficulty getting stuff delivered from Amazon, and it comes VAT free, now Ebay is a different matter.

Good to know JR2, thanks

woe10

There are loads in Ebay Shops. Much more reliable for delivery than Amazon. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Don't get the cheapest one, it'll have outdated softwear and not powerful enough for the wifi in Caleta. You will need MINIMUM 2gb Ram and Quad Core for best results.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/android-tv-box

Ernie

If one has no interest in receiving any UK channels other than the free-to-air ones available using the FilmOn website/app (either via a Smart TV or a tablet) what are the benefits of rigging up one of these boxes ?

Is it all to do with obtaining a UK IP address so that streams can be downloaded from source rather than via third party site such a FilmOn ? Is it more efficient than FilmOn in terms of bandwidth ? Or is it purely to get loads of Sky channels etc ? 

I guess at £30 it's a no-brainer to have one anyway just to get the extra channels but I am curious if there's any upside to owning a box above and beyond this.

Thanks for any replies.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Ernie on January 04, 2017, 15:26:02 PM
If one has no interest in receiving any UK channels other than the free-to-air ones available using the FilmOn website/app (either via a Smart TV or a tablet) what are the benefits of rigging up one of these boxes ?

Is it all to do with obtaining a UK IP address so that streams can be downloaded from source rather than via third party site such a FilmOn ? Is it more efficient than FilmOn in terms of bandwidth ? Or is it purely to get loads of Sky channels etc ? 

I guess at £30 it's a no-brainer to have one anyway just to get the extra channels but I am curious if there's any upside to owning a box above and beyond this.

Thanks for any replies.

Hi Ernie
It is called an Android box and operates a system called Kodi

We use it for a number of reasons
.1. It allows us to watch our choice of programs when it suits us.
.2.It allows the streaming of thousands of films E>G my grandson was here when the last Star Wars film opened "The Empire Awakes " I believe, he watched it the night after it opened in London
.3. It allows access to a lot of live sport, as long as someone is broadcasting it there is a very good chance it is available to us.
It allows access to "Modbro"  an app similar to Film-on but infinetley more stable, and gives access to many many more channels world wide. It is easy to set up al you need is The Box and internet access.
It has downsides, it can be a bit of a fiddle once you have found the program you want it will list tens if not hundreds of potential links all of which do not work {the vast majority do} but it is not that much of an issue, you can obviously watch a program at the normal broadcasting time via Modbro, as this is basic TV, and operates outside of the Kodi system, but if you miss it and try to catch up using Kodi you have to wait until the following day.
It has a few other quirks that you soon become aware of E.G. I am a great fan of Antiques Road Show, and it took me weeks to work out tat to search for it by its full name brings up nothing, it has the facility to search for People so I searched for Fiona Bruce, again nothing, but search for Antiques, and Bingo.
You can install Modbro on a Tablet, just google Modbro, download it and when it asks you what you want to install click all, then reboot ant it will be there, similarly on a lap top or a desk top computer, the only difference is you have to first download a thing called Bluestacks, which allows the downloading of Android Apps on a standard computer.

Ernie

Many thanks for the detailed reply John.

I already have the Mobdro app on my tablet but so far have found FilmOn to be more stable for basic live free-to-air streaming. But no doubt others will have different experiences.

From what you say it sounds like the upside to a Kodi box over a tablet is a lot more content both live and on demand. It sounds like the downside is another layer of complexity and a certain amount of filtering out the dross. It's clearly a no brainer for £30.

But I don't sense that one of these boxes is any more stable or is somehow able to use less bandwidth via more advanced file compression techniques than the more traditional tablet approach which would be a really useful feature for me. Can anyone comment on these aspects ?

Increased stability at lower bandwidths is more valuable to me than millions of extra channels as I just want simplicity, stability and reliability. Does a Kodi box have any advantages over a tablet in this regard ?

Any recommendations on which box I should buy. Will buy in the UK and bring it out in hand luggage. Thanks.

Cheers, 

Ernie

Globetrotter

Quote from: Ernie on January 04, 2017, 17:38:57 PM
Many thanks for the detailed reply John.

I already have the Mobdro app on my tablet but so far have found FilmOn to be more stable for basic live free-to-air streaming. But no doubt others will have different experiences.

From what you say it sounds like the upside to a Kodi box over a tablet is a lot more content both live and on demand. It sounds like the downside is another layer of complexity and a certain amount of filtering out the dross. It's clearly a no brainer for £30.

But I don't sense that one of these boxes is any more stable or is somehow able to use less bandwidth via more advanced file compression techniques than the more traditional tablet approach which would be a really useful feature for me. Can anyone comment on these aspects ?

Increased stability at lower bandwidths is more valuable to me than millions of extra channels as I just want simplicity, stability and reliability. Does a Kodi box have any advantages over a tablet in this regard ?

Any recommendations on which box I should buy. Will buy in the UK and bring it out in hand luggage. Thanks.

Cheers, 

Ernie
I have bought 2 of these from Amazon, 3 day delivery, fully loaded, latest Android version 6, just added a couple of other links (Pheonix & Slingplayer), tested last night, brilliant, well worth £26.99 and free delivery (UK).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L72ZBDK?ie=UTF8&ref_=nav_ya_signin&;

woe10

Ernie, before you commit, make sure you have HDMI input on your TV:

Filmon is only a small part of Kodi, for instance, I am now watching Spurs v Chelsea live in HD.

All the latest films are available, some even before they are released in the UK.

MandK

Just remember Kodi is just an operating system, like a filing Cabernet, its what you have/put into it that counts.

And update Kodi and contents regularly.

keithtx

Woe, what are you using to watch football? I watch via zem tv on kodi and most links just buffer all the time making it un watchable

Toad1960

I watch footy using sportsdevil then dimsports if the game is on sky bt snnbc or sortsnet i try a stream for the channel if not i use the links for the individual games.
bueffering is normally minimal dc sports is another choice for sports channels but not individual games.
i never get buffering for tv or films but live sports i often try several streams to get the best.

MalT

I brought an android box out at Christmas, brilliant, watched football on Phoenix sports and it was watchable but will now try to download zen, that's the other aspect of kodi , you can download add ons ( just like apps for the phone)

Bertie

NJM-SOCCER is another good add-on to try. 

woe10

Quote from: keithtx on January 19, 2017, 04:57:36 AM
Woe, what are you using to watch football? I watch via zem tv on kodi and most links just buffer all the time making it un watchable

Do you have a decent Internet connection. If you're with CanaryNet or V-Sat, you may get buffering.
I use a Subscription channel now. Sportsmania. But they are not taking any more new subscribers at the moment as apparently they have enough.

Every Premier League game played, mostly on American channels NBC Sports and FOX Sports.

When they take more subscribers I'll post it. 17 quid for 3 months. Well worth it.