Just saying hello... I'm buying a villa and looking for all advice etc

Started by justthe6ofus, April 12, 2016, 19:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justthe6ofus

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself really  :D

I've just paid a deposit on a villa in Lajares - hoping to complete by end of May. It's primarily for my family holidays but hopefully I'll be able to rent it out too - a little income will be handy to cover a bit of the mortgage or some flights etc.

It's all a minefield, but the estate agent I'm using appear to be very good - Goldacre in Corre - anyone got experience of them?

Just wondering how people are getting on with the whole touristic license issue? (I'm assuming some owners are letting as well?) I'm told we will be able to get one ok in Lajares. I've read loads of different stuff about the whole thing, but if anyone's got any advice I'm all ears.

I'm also wondering how on earth can you order stuff online (from the UK) for delivery out there? I'm quite sure there must be shops on Fuerte that have their own websites, but I'm having trouble finding them! Just want to save some time by doing some research whilst I'm at home. Then I hope I can save time when I come out by ordering stuff before I leave (if that even makes sense?!)

Hope to chat to other owners - get to know some people, get some general hints, tips and words of advice etc. Knowledge is power.... and all that jazz  ;D

Billington

Hi
I have recently completed on an apartment at the top of chipmunk mountain. Does anyone know what the broadband is like up there,what is the best way of receiving uk tv. I am coming over next week and am thinking of bringing an android box with me. Any suggestions.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: Billington on April 13, 2016, 08:22:59 AM
Hi
I have recently completed on an apartment at the top of chipmunk mountain. Does anyone know what the broadband is like up there,what is the best way of receiving uk tv. I am coming over next week and am thinking of bringing an android box with me. Any suggestions.

Check out the TV thread lots of good info on there

MLA

Hi justthe6ofus, if you like IKEA then that can be ordered online from the UK, also some Amazon.es traders will deliver to Fuerte. I haven't found any others. I would be interested to see what you track down.

decho

IKEA is easy, go to the UK stores, find out what you need then order on the Fuerteventura IKEA site and collect in the Store in Fuerteventura or have it delivered. Be careful though because the item numbers don't match for some strange reason...you need to search by name.
If IKEA is not your thing, there are lots of good shops on the Island for all your needs. Generally what you see is what you get, there is no waiting 8 weeks for delivery, often it will be delivered next day.

justthe6ofus

Hi MLA and Decho, thanks for that - I had no idea about Ikea, so that's really helpful.

Unusually, the villa I'm buying is empty. I have a company handling furniture for me but I'll still need to get all the other stuff and Ikea is perfect. I've been worried that they might not have what I need in stock when I come over so that really is helpful, thank you!

It's so difficult to estimate what things are likely to cost. I'm aware that certain things (like second hand cars for example) cost much more there than in the UK so I'm warily trying to create a rough budget and hoping I don't get any nasty surprises when it comes to things like tv, dishwasher, washing machine etc!

It's trickier than I imagined trying to make plans so that when I come out I can dash around and get lots done in a few days.
Exciting though!

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: justthe6ofus on April 13, 2016, 23:33:48 PM

It's so difficult to estimate what things are likely to cost. I'm aware that certain things (like second hand cars for example) cost much more there than in the UK so I'm warily trying to create a rough budget and hoping I don't get any nasty surprises when it comes to things like tv, dishwasher, washing machine etc!

Exciting though!

HI Justthe6ofus

It is exciting we are in the same boat with a new villa to furnish in the next couple of months.

Car not on our list just yet but other items such as washing machine, TV etc. are.  When we were last over we did a lot of shop browsing to get an idea of what to budget, but it is down to individual taste & choice, - washing machine (all in Euros) 250 upwards, 50" TV 600 upwards, kettle 24 upwards, large sofa with extended end 800 upwards.

Crockery, glass and kitchen ware all very reasonable but it depends on quality.

There are plenty of shops to look around many more that we thought in the Puerto del Rosario  there are 4 large furniture shops that sell not only furniture, there are 2 that we found electrical shops similar to Currys / PC World one in the Rotunda in Puerto and Electron on the out of town estate to the North West, they have a good website to get ideas from

Things like linen we have been advised to buy in UK and ship out as the weight and quality isn't as good over on the island and from our browsing I have to agree.

Hope that helps

justthe6ofus

Hi Windermeregolfer, Thanks so much for all that - it IS really helpful seeing actual price ranges. I'll see if I can find the website - it helps to get an idea what you want doesn't it. I don't really want to spend all my time trawling around shops when I get out there - well, at least not for boring things like tv and washing machine.

Really interesting about linen and towels too - that's saved me a trawl, thanks! I like nice bedding, and even though we'll be letting I still think it makes sense to have decent quality stuff.

I've got a company called Design Emporium doing the whole furniture pack for me. I'm told their prices are very competitive and they offer a good service (delivery, unpacking and placing everything etc)  I've just got to wait and see what it costs to get the look I'd like. I just can't imagine how I'd pull it all together without someone handling it for me - the thought of furnishing a 4 bedroom villa from scratch and in a very limited time frame just fills me with dread. I'd love to do it if I had time, but aside from a few proper 2 week holidays a year I can only get out there for about 4 days at a time.

Exciting times - what and where are you buying? Do you plan to move over there eventually? I hope to - probably won't be for another 15 years or so, but I can dream in the meantime!  :D   I've got to have a pool built and all sorts of work done outside as well - it'll be a gradual project over the next year or two to get it finished I expect.

I went for this particular villa because we like a lot of outside space for the boys and it's a blank canvas we can put our own mark on - but outside it's literally gravel everywhere - there's not even a patio area let alone a pergola or anything. I will need to try to let it for the summer as I had already booked our summer holiday (in Lanzarote! sods law) so we're a bit pushed for time, we'll only get out there for 7 days in August and I'll try to get out for a few days after we've completed, maybe early June if I can get decent flight prices.

School holiday flights are ridiculous but I've just booked for new year - got 6 flights for just over £500 so I'm well pleased with that.

Car is not exactly on my list but I think it'll make sense to buy one eventually - we need a large people carrier or more often than not I just hire a minibus type thing - it's easier to chuck everything in and not stress over space. I will have a look at prices at some point though because it usually costs me roughly £800 for a two week hire for a larger vehicle.

Thanks for all the info.

Windermeregolfer

Hi again Justthe6ofus

I will send you a private message in the meantime Electron website is - http://www.tiendaselectron.com/

Cheers

Johnrgby2

Quote from: justthe6ofus on April 12, 2016, 19:36:54 PM

We bought a bungalow through Gold Acre, we dealt with Nic who was brilliant, it is a bit unnerving when you have an Estate Agent telling you the truth but that,s what he does, we decided on a property at the end of August, and got the keys 15 October, we used Gold Acres in house solicitor Maria, who is a tad slow but very efficient, we had the advantage of living on the island and not needing a mortgage, so it was simpler for us, we gave maria power of attorney, and she did everything for us including NIE residency and social security numbers, all we had to do is go to a notary, and sign the POA, as you will not be a resident you will need an NIE which I assume you already have, renting I cannot help you with as we live here, but there is a ground swell of opposition to the restrictions on renting, but that is work in progress, shipping from the UK depends on what you need to ship size etc, but there are ways and it is not as difficult as we were told prior to coming out here. you can purchase most of what you need on the island, as long as you accept that some times its not what you want, but what you can get, we have purchased most of our furniture on the island, but have has things like curtains shipped from John Lewis, or Amazon or Ebay, when you know your requirements post it and you will get loads of advice, or PM me if you need to either way you will get all the help you need.

Chris1965

Hi

We look after a property up there and we had touch media to fit wifi, which is VERY good and UKTV to fit a tv package which is good.

Chris1965

There are lots of places that are much better than Ikea and not far from Caleta

justthe6ofus

Quote from: Chris1965 on April 14, 2016, 20:51:25 PM
There are lots of places that are much better than Ikea and not far from Caleta

Thanks Chris I suppose Ikea has a certain familiarity to it - we know what we're getting and exactly what it'll cost without shopping around. For me the added benefit that we can easily and cheaply replace any broken/damaged items is a bonus. No one wants odd or chipped crockery/glasses etc.

If you've got any names of shops I'd be grateful - I don't have time to trawl around randomly looking for shops but if I have some names it'll be helpful when it comes to things like soft furnishings, cushions, rugs, throws, pictures, lamps etc. Thanks.

Billington

Quote from: Chris1965 on April 14, 2016, 20:47:40 PM
Hi

We look after a property up there and we had touch media to fit wifi, which is VERY good and UKTV to fit a tv package which is good.
Hi

Hi

thanks for that,where would I find touch media

Snowdrop

Somebody mention electron for white goods, tv etc.
On the other side of their carpark is nort-y-sur furniture shop - it's fantastic and great prices.  You cannot go in there and come out without buying something 😂

justthe6ofus

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on April 14, 2016, 16:54:14 PM
Quote from: justthe6ofus on April 12, 2016, 19:36:54 PM

We bought a bungalow through Gold Acre, we dealt with Nic who was brilliant, it is a bit unnerving when you have an Estate Agent telling you the truth but that,s what he does, we decided on a property at the end of August, and got the keys 15 October, we used Gold Acres in house solicitor Maria, who is a tad slow but very efficient, we had the advantage of living on the island and not needing a mortgage, so it was simpler for us, we gave maria power of attorney, and she did everything for us including NIE residency and social security numbers, all we had to do is go to a notary, and sign the POA, as you will not be a resident you will need an NIE which I assume you already have, renting I cannot help you with as we live here, but there is a ground swell of opposition to the restrictions on renting, but that is work in progress, shipping from the UK depends on what you need to ship size etc, but there are ways and it is not as difficult as we were told prior to coming out here. you can purchase most of what you need on the island, as long as you accept that some times its not what you want, but what you can get, we have purchased most of our furniture on the island, but have has things like curtains shipped from John Lewis, or Amazon or Ebay, when you know your requirements post it and you will get loads of advice, or PM me if you need to either way you will get all the help you need.

Hi Johnrgby2, Nic showed me round too - nice chap. Gold Acre seem straight enough to me - they certainly work hard to provide a complete package of services. I'm slightly nervous about using Room to Breathe as the girl they sent out to see me about pool and building work seemed very vague, and they haven't replied to my emails, but I think I'll persevere with them as the last thing I want is complicated building works and at the end of the day I need someone who can oversee everything for me while I'm not there.

I'm also using Maria and did the power of attorney while I was there. Also got a bank account open. I'm not clear if the NIE is the same as he NIF number I was given when I opened the bank account? - does anyone know?

I had no idea John Lewis would deliver out there! That's brilliant! (but then JL are generally brilliant I suppose) Windermeregolf sent me a message about a shipping company too which was helpful. Lucky you, moving out there! I'm not getting a Spanish mortgage - they're an arm and a leg! I'll raise the money here and buy outright. I feel happier doing that.

The whole rental thing HAS blown up hasn't it! I've read pretty much everything I can find about it and it did influence my decision to eventually buy something slightly more rural than right in the middle of Correlejo where I was originally looking. To me, if you're not right on the beach front then it makes no difference if it's a 2 minute drive or a 10 minute drive, it's still a drive. We'd only ever driven through Lajares on previous visits - we'd never stopped there and had no idea how lovely it is. And how quickly you can be at El Cottillo and the lagoons. I'm well happy and am assured I will get a tourist license there without a problem. I just hope that's correct - if it's not I won't be very happy!  ::)

Everyone's been really helpful. Thank you!

Johnrgby2

JL do not to my knowledge deliver here, but there is Woodside Cargo who have a small depot in the UK, and they ship it to their depot here in El Matorall then you either collect it or they will deliver.
I made some enquirers with room to breath, and found them not at all helpful, and they have a reputation for being very expensive, there are plenty of British builders out here that will do any job that needs doing, and as with the UK they work on a two rate system  with  or without if yopu follow my drift :)

justthe6ofus

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on April 15, 2016, 18:22:47 PM
JL do not to my knowledge deliver here, but there is Woodside Cargo who have a small depot in the UK, and they ship it to their depot here in El Matorall then you either collect it or they will deliver.
I made some enquirers with room to breath, and found them not at all helpful, and they have a reputation for being very expensive, there are plenty of British builders out here that will do any job that needs doing, and as with the UK they work on a two rate system  with  or without if yopu follow my drift :)

I do follow your drift. Very handy. I suppose with recommendations it'd be ok to go it alone. I'd be pretty nervous though. I know it makes me sounds a bit unpatriotic but I'd be just as nervous taking on a British builder knowing how many cowboys there are here at home!  :o

I managed to get a few rough numbers out of room to breathe on my second visit - they quoted me 150 for a post let clean, 100 for a mid let clean, and 50 a time for pool man (suggesting minimum 3 visits on a 2 week let) plus 15% for lettings etc. I thought it all sounded a bit over the top, but I haven't shopped around at all. I don't have time at the moment to arrange my lettings myself so I'll need to use an agent, for the time being at least. AND of course, the fact that they'll oversee building works etc is pretty priceless for me. I need to have fairly major work done and would feel happier knowing someone is responsible.

Windermere golfer told me about Woodside - sounds great, I've emailed them for a quote. I misunderstood when you said you'd shipped stuff out from JL and Amazon - I see what you mean now  ;D

Thanks

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Take care when buying fitted bed linens - measure your mattresses first: width, length and depth - they are often a different size to the standard sizes you get in the UK. Same applies to pillows/pillow cases.

Room to Breathe are the 'lettings' arm of Goldacre - haven't been at all impressed with them in my dealings.

I can introduce you to a Spanish builder who I trust totally if you like (in the north of the island) or Fuertescapes seem to have a very good reputation and the guy whose business it is, is British - again based in the north. Don't forget to check if you need a licence and/or planning permission for any work you are planning - a good builder would be able to advise you if one is needed (make sure you ask) and guide you through the process, ie where to go to apply for a 'small work's licence' or put you in touch with a Spanish architect to draw up the plans for a larger 'project'. I know of several people in Villaverde where work has had to come to a halt recently because they had failed to get the licence before the work started and in one instance the work they had just had completed was not approved and it is all having to be changed - a lot of wasted money!

Good luck!

justthe6ofus

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on April 15, 2016, 20:42:49 PM
Take care when buying fitted bed linens - measure your mattresses first: width, length and depth - they are often a different size to the standard sizes you get in the UK. Same applies to pillows/pillow cases.

Room to Breathe are the 'lettings' arm of Goldacre - haven't been at all impressed with them in my dealings.

I can introduce you to a Spanish builder who I trust totally if you like (in the north of the island) or Fuertescapes seem to have a very good reputation and the guy whose business it is, is British - again based in the north. Don't forget to check if you need a licence and/or planning permission for any work you are planning - a good builder would be able to advise you if one is needed (make sure you ask) and guide you through the process, ie where to go to apply for a 'small work's licence' or put you in touch with a Spanish architect to draw up the plans for a larger 'project'. I know of several people in Villaverde where work has had to come to a halt recently because they had failed to get the licence before the work started and in one instance the work they had just had completed was not approved and it is all having to be changed - a lot of wasted money!

Good luck!

All good advice and noted.Thanks TamaraEnLaPlaya

I was advised that planning permission (or the equivalent) would be needed for the pool and terraces. We might extend the height of some exterior walls too and I need/want to get it all done properly and above board.

My kind of rough plan is to get the villa furnished asap after completion and let it for the summer as it stands. Might put a hot tub in so at least it's got something to offer other than being close to the sea!

I thought this will give us a chance to allow plenty of time to get planning permission and draw up exact plans for what we want done. Then work can hopefully be carried out later in the year - October time onwards.

If you could inbox me your builder please that would be helpful - I'll add it to my list! I had a look at Fuertescapes and might give them a call too. As I said though, my biggest worry is not actually being there (or having anyone there representing me) whilst work is being carried out. Scares me to death that I might come out and nothings been done or it's a bodge job! (I have nightmares about that sort of thing)

warriors

hi, welcome and great choice in Lajares! just a quick note on our experience
we bought our fully furnished apartment in El Cotillo 4 years ago and continued to fall in love with the area so much we  bought another bank repossession which was unfurnished!!. 
Kitting it out was tiring but very rewarding-first off if you need a kitchen then John The Kitchenmaster was terrific.
there are lots of places to buy furniture and we had lots of fun going round them all.
good luck with everything and enjoy
ps
take no notice of some of the numptys who feel the need make totally irrelevant comments on any genuine questions you ask (none so far am glad to say!!)   

decho

Paul from Fuertescapes does all my building work and is excellent. He is very busy (that says a lot) so the sooner you make contact the better.
For all gardening work including artificial grass(if you want it) Green as Grass do a fabulous job..
If you are thinking about a Hot Tub I got mine from Wizard Pools. They deal in HotSprings, probably one of the best manufacturers around.  It's been a great investment and out here doesn't cost that much to run.

Windermeregolfer

Morning all

Great info on this thread so far thanks, she who must be obeyed has just asked can anyone recommend a good kitchen utensils shop, living in Windermere we are spoilt with Lakeland having their original store here, preferably in the Puerto area.

Thanks in anticipation 

Globetrotter

[/quote]thanks for that,where would I find touch media
[/quote]
TouchMedia now called FuerteWifi, https://www.facebook.com/Touchmediawireless/

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on April 16, 2016, 11:59:39 AM
Morning all

Great info on this thread so far thanks, she who must be obeyed has just asked can anyone recommend a good kitchen utensils shop, living in Windermere we are spoilt with Lakeland having their original store here, preferably in the Puerto area.

Thanks in anticipation
Rocosa on Ave Juan Bethencourt in Rosario up from Hipodino, and before you get to the Farmacia, there is also a very good fabric ship next door Decolar, \i believe there is also a Rocosa in Corallejo

Johnrgby2

They are in the Montecastilo Centre behind The Pickled Palm or opposite Chaplins

paully

The Rocasa in correlejo is very good, and well stocked for kitchen implements.although the one in Rosario may be bigger. Prices are very good as well. In Correlejo its in the back streets of the old town opposite the post office just down the hill from the main Hiperdino.
I HATE computer thingyss

Windermeregolfer

justthe6ofus

Quote from: decho on April 15, 2016, 22:38:09 PM
Paul from Fuertescapes does all my building work and is excellent. He is very busy (that says a lot) so the sooner you make contact the better.
For all gardening work including artificial grass(if you want it) Green as Grass do a fabulous job..
If you are thinking about a Hot Tub I got mine from Wizard Pools. They deal in HotSprings, probably one of the best manufacturers around.  It's been a great investment and out here doesn't cost that much to run.

Really helpful, I'll add those names to my list. Thanks Decho.

justthe6ofus

Quote from: warriors on April 15, 2016, 22:14:42 PM
hi, welcome and great choice in Lajares! just a quick note on our experience
we bought our fully furnished apartment in El Cotillo 4 years ago and continued to fall in love with the area so much we  bought another bank repossession which was unfurnished!!. 
Kitting it out was tiring but very rewarding-first off if you need a kitchen then John The Kitchenmaster was terrific.
there are lots of places to buy furniture and we had lots of fun going round them all.
good luck with everything and enjoy
ps
take no notice of some of the numptys who feel the need make totally irrelevant comments on any genuine questions you ask (none so far am glad to say!!)

Thanks Warriors. The villa I'm buying isn't a repo - it's just empty, but the kitchen/bathrooms etc is all good and looks pretty new ish. I'll keep that name on my list though as we might want some changes made to the kitchen - strangely there's no space for a dishwasher (essential in my opinion!!!) or washing machine so I will need someone to juggle things about a bit for me. Thanks for the numpty warning - they get everywhere don't they?!  ;D