Search for bodies of English pirates who died in Fuerteventura in 1740

Started by TamaraEnLaPlaya, July 20, 2017, 00:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TamaraEnLaPlaya

The University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is undertaking an archaeological study in Tuineje, Fuerteventura to locate the remains of an estimated 90 English pirates who died during a battle in the Eighteenth Century between Fuerteventura residents and attacking pirates from England. This research project is coordinated between the University, the Municipality of Tuineje, representative of the Canary Islands Government and the Asociacion Cultural Mas Ruines que Cain.

There is specific interest within the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to investigate the historical, archaeological and patrimonial interest in this incident, and would also validate those that live in the Tuineje area who have commemorated the Battle of Tamasite for the last 277 years. It is hoped that this study could reveal more evidence to explain more about this battle.

Going back 277 years, it appears the ‘War of Jenkins` was a conflict that lasted from 1739 to 1748 between Spain and England, which refers to ear of an English pirate captain that was cut off. In 1740, English pirates made two attacks on Tamasite from the port of Gran Tarajal with a month between them. The Fuerteventura militia were successful in both of these English pirate attacks, but highlights the discord between England and Spain at this time.

The first attack involved 50 English pirates who landed at Gran Tarajal and marched inland to loot the village of Tuineje, but did not realise that the island militia had already been placed in defensive positions. Towers at Toston and Caleta de Fuste had been built to watch out for English pirates who often attacked this island. Thirty English were killed and 20 were taken prisoner, and during this time local islanders attacked the English invaders with clubs and stones, and hid behind a wall of camels when they fired muskets at them. The prisoners were taken to Tenerife.

The second English pirate attack took place one month later, but the number of pirates is disputed, as some reports of this second attack notes between 200 and 300 pirates that attacked, but another reports that fifty English pirates were killed. However, the second attack was put down with less pity and more brutality, when no prisoners were taken and all English pirates were killed. The Fuerteventura islanders showed no leniency after this second audacious attack in such a short time.

Miguel Angel Clavijo, Director General of Cultural Heritage of the Canary Islands Government explains that this research will last for several years, and will focus on this conflict, and also to search for the remains of the English pirates who died in the Battles of Tamasite and Chuchillete, and reveal more details of the cultural heritage of this municipality in the Eighteenth Century.

Johnrgby2

Tamara
I am very glad there were no Welsh Scottish or Irish pirates involved in this what sounds like badly thought out battles, despite it being The Jenkins War {you cannot get more welsh than that }  ;D ;D ;D ;D

MalT

Dead right John, I like to think that we welsh were more sensible 😆 I was reading this story on the latest edition of the 'voice', excellent little  magazine.

blata

Robert Jenkins (born in Llanelli, Wales (fl. 1730sâ€"40s) was a Welsh master mariner, so started by a Welsh man, English always get bad press

Johnrgby2

Quote from: blata on July 20, 2017, 18:33:45 PM
Robert Jenkins (born in Llanelli, Wales (fl. 1730sâ€"40s) was a Welsh master mariner, so started by a Welsh man, English always get bad press

Are you saying because he was a Master Mariner, he was a Pirate? :D :D i have two friends who are currently Master Mariners, I shall take them to task over this :D :D, and The English always get bad press because they are English ::) ::)

blata

Spent many years below decks (Engine Room) so have experience of Master Mariners they mostly are not pirates just a bit odd, throw in the Welsh Element and there you go  :D :D :D :D :D

Deso

Jovial banter, often confused with racism.

Remember 'Love Thy Neighbour'   :D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Deso on July 21, 2017, 09:35:24 AM
Jovial banter, often confused with racism.

Remember 'Love Thy Neighbour'   :D

When God created the Earth he got to Wales and made it a beautiful country, supberb coastline deep valley,s etc, and Gabriel interceded and said " God are you not being over kind to the Welsh with all this Beautiful scenery? "
God replied " Not really you wait until you see the F*ck*ng neighbours I am going to give them"

Deso

Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]