Possible Tourist Tax coming

Started by F1REFLY999, January 25, 2018, 14:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivemovedon

Can't see anything wrong with it... other than the fact it might be 2 or 3 euros now but like all other taxes they will milk it year after year. Always thought the UK should do the same to visitors from abroad.

They should also charge a set fee for foreign lorries using our roads too.

Banjo

No issue with that but the cap on holiday home rentals may become a problem. I always stop in a private rental when I come over.

On the other hand there could be an influx of affordable properties coming on the market if that happens.

paully

Nothing wrong at all, in principle...but we all know the danger, it will go straight into the big black hole called the `La Oliva Ayuntamiento`  :'(

I HATE computer thingyss

ashworth

Quote from: Banjo on January 25, 2018, 19:27:54 PM
No issue with that but the cap on holiday home rentals may become a problem. I always stop in a private rental when I come over.

On the other hand there could be an influx of affordable properties coming on the market if that happens.
There are plenty of affordable houses already on the market.

sungod

So Islands that are built by the tourism industry is now going to bite the hand that's been feeding them.

Makes no sense to me.

emmi

Yes, â,¬3 per night per person will add about â,¬1000 to our visits which range from 2 - 3 months at a time.  Unless they give exemption to people who own properties on the island?

Johnrgby2

I do not follow the thinking here, unemployment is "21%" The Islands depend almost entirely on tourism, so let us make it more expensive to come here and discourage, our main source of jobs????.

Many years ago when Cyprus was the go-to destination, they introduced a tourist tax, but it was charged in bars and restaurants, 3% if my memory serves, and no one batted an eyelid, then they joined The EU, and within 2/3 years prices went up and the place has been dying a slow death ever since .

Ducks

Quote from: emmi on January 26, 2018, 11:43:56 AM
Yes, â,¬3 per night per person will add about â,¬1000 to our visits which range from 2 - 3 months at a time.  Unless they give exemption to people who own properties on the island?

I don't think they'll be able to implement this on people staying at their own homes, because each island will want what they "earned". What if you take the ferry to Gran Canaria and spend half the time there? Will they be holding people up at the sea ports for information? Will you have to pay at the airport on departure, and produce documentation to show you where you were for each part of your trip? It seems like it would be difficult to implement and would surely cost more to set up and maintain than anything they'd get from it.

I think it's more likely that it will be a tax added to hotel and AirBnB rates, something like the occupancy taxes you get in some US states.

If they combine this with a tightening up of holiday home rentals, it could affect house prices, though. Unfortunately, they have something of a captive market considering that a lot of the other winter sun destinations are considered less safe with terrorism these days, so they know they can play silly buggers a bit because their visitor numbers keep climbing.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Ducks on January 26, 2018, 14:17:42 PM

so they know they can play silly buggers a bit because their visitor numbers keep climbing.

Until they do  not

Deso

I wonder if the big Hoteliers are behind the scenes on this one?

Their push to stop people renting private properties out seems to have died a death for the time being.  ::)
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

spitfire58

Unless they add the tax onto the flight out ticket I don`t see how they can implement for home owners. Seems much more likely to be a “staying” tax added to hotels & even private lets/b&b`s. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to quantify & collect. IMO

F1REFLY999

This could be the death nail for the illegal rental properties
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

malabu

spitfire58

They should be reminded as well that they are getting tax from every property owner for “presumed rental income” even from people who never have anyone in their property !!

F1REFLY999

Quote from: malabu on January 26, 2018, 17:00:56 PM
Quote from: F1REFLY999 on January 26, 2018, 15:55:22 PM
This could be the death nail for the illegal rental properties
WHY ?

Why are you shouting?

Well if they do impose the tax then they will have to contact the owners of rental properties. This will ensure the properties are licensed and the appropriate taxes and regulations are adhered to. This will expose a lot of properties that have been dealing cash in hand and that don't meet the current regulations for tourist/short term rentals.
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

fizzy lemonade

Doubtful that they would go that route, similar tourist taxes in Italy & Portugal max out, for example in Rome you pay for the first 10 nights only, children don't pay, in Lisbon it's 7 nights

I wouldn't object to it as long as it was going to support the tourism sector but........

Ivemovedon

If they push this through with the same shambolic attitude and lack of foresight as they did with the supposed crackdown on illegal rentals a couple of years ago...I doubt very much anything will change too drastically.

Ivemovedon

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 26, 2018, 17:14:09 PM
They should be reminded as well that they are getting tax from every property owner for “presumed rental income” even from people who never have anyone in their property !!

Without mentioning the 3% witholding tax they snatch on sales which is often never seen again but is supposed to be refundable if you have made no profit.

dagwood

I heard a fellow saying he`d murder a pint or two when I was over in December last. Another guy said he`d like a mug of tea and somebody else said they were robbed by British Airways on there flights. That`s all I heard.

Ivemovedon

In my experience on the island everyone knows every one else's business. If there was a burglary in the village you knew about it sooner rather than later as there is a very strong grapevine. I would imagine the towns are no different. Fact is it's a holiday destination and certain crimes will always be prevalent...mostly so called petty , such as house breaking, mugging and bag snatching.Not so petty though when your passport, credit cards and drivers license go in one hit. It's no more or less than other places for sure but there is no doubt it is there and anyone who says they don't know of it either doesn't get out enough or needs to ask about a bit more.

If I had to pick a place I felt myself or my wife most comfortable walking about late at night I would have to say Fuerte every time before most places in the UK. Having said that i think a holidaying female walking the backstreets of say  Corralejo or Morro Hables on her own in the early hours would be taking a bit of a chance.

ashworth

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 27, 2018, 16:12:34 PM
In my experience on the island everyone knows every one else's business. If there was a burglary in the village you knew about it sooner rather than later as there is a very strong grapevine. I would imagine the towns are no different. Fact is it's a holiday destination and certain crimes will always be prevalent...mostly so called petty , such as house breaking, mugging and bag snatching.Not so petty though when your passport, credit cards and drivers license go in one hit. It's no more or less than other places for sure but there is no doubt it is there and anyone who says they don't know of it either doesn't get out enough or needs to ask about a bit more.

If I had to pick a place I felt myself or my wife most comfortable walking about late at night I would have to say Fuerte every time before most places in the UK. Having said that i think a holidaying female walking the backstreets of say  Corralejo or Morro Hables on her own in the early hours would be taking a bit of a chance.
People live here and don't know anybody's business just like in the UK. As for walking around in the early hours try Salford and parts of London.

Ivemovedon

Quote from: ashworth on January 28, 2018, 09:11:51 AM
Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 27, 2018, 16:12:34 PM

People live here and don't know anybody's business just like in the UK. As for walking around in the early hours try Salford and parts of London.

You are obviously one of those who needs to get out more. I know what goes on in my area in London. Heard every ones business in Lajares. And whats more you don't read posts properly. try taking the time it's worth it.

MalT

Not sure how you got here from tourist tax! But feel safe here in corralejo, never had a problem and often walk home along the beach late (I am ugly and welsh though😊)

Ivemovedon

Sling a handbag over your arm , stick on a wig and wiggle your bum...you might not be so lucky.

Swordy

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 29, 2018, 14:08:05 PM
Sling a handbag over your arm , stick on a wig and wiggle your bum...you might not be so lucky.

Or you may just 'get lucky'.          :D