Author Topic: Just saying hello... I'm buying a villa and looking for all advice etc  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Holierthanthou

Re: Just saying hello... I'm buying a villa and looking for all advice etc
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 19:30:15 pm »
Hi .i've had a place in Lajares for the last 12 years. I can confirm a lot of what has been said here. Paul at Fuertescapes is a good bet for any work needs doing. Totally reliable,  a nice guy and being English is a bonus. Believe me there are as many cowboy Spanish builders as there are English. We found bedding and toweling quite expensive out there and always bought bits over with us every time we came. Have used woodside to bring over some rattan furniture from the UK ( at a time when you couldn't see it anywhere on the island) and they were very good to deal with.If you decide to use them you won't have a problem. And i also agree Lajares is a great choice. We always said it was the place to be in the North. 10 minutes from Corralejo, 10 minutes from El Cotillo and 30 mins from the airport with a nice little mixture of restaurants and bars. Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: justthe6ofus

Offline justthe6ofusTopic starter

• Trying. Always trying.
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 20:00:41 pm »
Hi .i've had a place in Lajares for the last 12 years. I can confirm a lot of what has been said here. Paul at Fuertescapes is a good bet for any work needs doing. Totally reliable,  a nice guy and being English is a bonus. Believe me there are as many cowboy Spanish builders as there are English. We found bedding and toweling quite expensive out there and always bought bits over with us every time we came. Have used woodside to bring over some rattan furniture from the UK ( at a time when you couldn't see it anywhere on the island) and they were very good to deal with.If you decide to use them you won't have a problem. And i also agree Lajares is a great choice. We always said it was the place to be in the North. 10 minutes from Corralejo, 10 minutes from El Cotillo and 30 mins from the airport with a nice little mixture of restaurants and bars. Good luck.

Thanks Holierthanthou. Good to get a second recommendation for Paul. I'll definitely contact him.
I've never fallen in love with a town as quickly as I did with Lajares. I find it hard to understand how we missed it on previous visits. For me it's the perfect combination of a funky but village atmosphere and yet  ridiculously close to what have to be the best beaches in the world! But I'm preaching to the converted, clearly. With Lajares being so little, it looks like we're neighbours! Someone to borrow teabags from, already! :D

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 20:00:41 pm »

Offline paully

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 20:28:15 pm »
The Guardia roadblocks in the afternoon, in the middle of the village, can be entertaining..I`ve been in enough of them to make sure I carry all the `essentials` as it were  ;D ;D

Offline Holierthanthou

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 20:36:08 pm »
Paully. Lajares is a bit of a through route for La Oliva, El Cotillo, Coraralejo and Villaverde so they know it's a good place to have a check.

justthe6ofus.. you probably are aware of the Return bar in Lajares. We love it in there. It's what Fuerteventura is all about in our minds.

Offline jamjar

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 20:57:12 pm »
We found a fantastic website that covers Corralejo it lists many of the shops and links to their websites if they have them. http://corralejo.info/en/

• Trying. Always trying.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 09:38:25 am »
Paully. Lajares is a bit of a through route for La Oliva, El Cotillo, Coraralejo and Villaverde so they know it's a good place to have a check.

justthe6ofus.. you probably are aware of the Return bar in Lajares. We love it in there. It's what Fuerteventura is all about in our minds.

We'll look out for the Return Bar on our next visit in August, thanks. We hardly know anything about the village - literally only been there 5 times, and 2 of those were viewings! I know it seems very odd buying a villa in a place you've hardly even visited - but it just felt right. Like all home buying I suppose once you get that  'feeling' from a house you know it's 'the one'  :D

Offline Holierthanthou

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 11:23:36 am »
As Michael Cane once said property purchase is all down to 'Location Location Location.'

You've got the location.

• Trying. Always trying.
 :D :D :D :D Just a little update - I've finally taken title and am coming out week after next just for a few days.  :D :D :D :D

Just a couple of questions;

I'm now looking for the best place to get cleaning stuff when we arrive, so I'm thinking while we're close to Rosario straight off the plane would Nortysur be the best place to go? - I need mops, buckets, broom, that sort of thing. Might want to pick up some odds and sods while we're there - kitchen bin, few pictures, some photo frames etc.

Also - does anyone know where I could buy one of those big inflatable pools? We get them in the UK for about £100 - 10ft/12ft round, come with a pump, inflatable top ?

Someone told me you can by them on the island but I have no idea where and since we won't have a pool for the summer I thought one of these will do for the kids to cool off in when we're not at the beach.

Thought it's worth asking if anyone's seen them anywhere.

I've got Design Emporium doing most of the furniture and I've managed to order my sofa's and mattresses from Ikea and hope they're delivered before I get there.

Thanks to recommendations on here I've ordered my electrical stuff (TV, dishwasher, washing machine, kettle, toaster, fans, etc) online via Electron. Crossing my fingers that they deliver when I've asked them to (with my google translated email!)  ;D

Meeting the pool people (Wizard) and some kitchen people while I'm out there. Got a lot to do in 4 days!

Thanks all.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 16:23:34 pm by justthe6ofus »

Offline SheilaW

NortySur is a nice place, a bit more expensive than some places but generally speaking better quality. But I'm not sure they do much in the way of cleaning bits. You may want Mercadona or another of the bigger supermarkets for that. There's one just south of the airport (a few metres past Ikea), another at the north end of the ring-road and another in the south of Corralejo. The Chinese bazaars do cleaning items even cheaper and Rocasa is more expensive. Personally I find Rocasa shuts far too often and never has what I want but perhaps it's a personal vendetta :).

Have a good time and try to find some leisure time! Canela have live music some evenings, as well as the Return. PS We put down a deposit on the 6th day of our first ever one-week holiday to Corralejo and moved out permanently three months later with the cat! It was risky but we didn't burn all our bridges at the time and we've never regretted it. Sometimes you just have to listen to your heart and then get your head to make it so!.

The following users thanked this post: Windermeregolfer, justthe6ofus

Offline gattaca66

For the widest variety of cleaning stuff, including the sometimes weird and unusual, it's hard to beat Saavedra, the big grey Ferreteria on the edge of PDR. Much bigger range than Ideal or the supermercados. They sell all sorts of household stuff, and are probably the best place for pool things, chemicals etc. They do, though, close for siesta, which can be a little frustrating!

• Trying. Always trying.
Thanks Gattaca and Sheila.

Of course, why didn't I think of the mercadona! I think my brain is a bit mushed this week.

Leisure time ... hmmmm. It's going to be a bit full on I think. But the way I see it is, 4 days of dashing about = 4 evenings of relaxing, watching the sunset, going to the beach, having a sangria or 6   :D  I just can't wait to get out there and see my lovely house again!

I'll look out for Saavedra - that'd be handy if I can get a pool at the same time as I'm picking up other stuff. We land about 10am so hopefully I'll get to places by 11.30am ish.

Thanks again.

Offline SheilaW

Good idea about Saavedra - I agree. Got ourselves a wheelie bin there and filled it with blinds, curtains, cushions, saucepans, a hoe... the lot.

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
I've seen the inflatable pools for sale in Ideal (Puerto & Corralejo) and in Marcial's ferreteria in Corralejo. Do buy whatever you need in the way of accessories (supply of filters etc) when you first get it as they only seem to stock this stuff at the very  beginning of 'the season'. (You can get the chemicals all year round).

Offline Windermeregolfer

• A Hole In One - In My Dreams
  • Keeping Calm
Great News & Good Luck next week, we are out on July 1st for our first stay in our new property so the tips above are all very helpful, thank you.  :)

• Trying. Always trying.
This time tomorrow I'll be in my villa for the first time since I viewed and paid a deposit on it back in April (which now feels like half a lifetime ago!) 
:D :D :D

I'm bringing my Mum with me (for moral support) and my eldest son (for manual labour!)

I've got 6 large suitcases FULL of vacuum packed bedding, towels, pillows and duvets!!! Not too sure why on earth I bought duvets as I'm pretty sure we'll only use them in January, but still, they seemed like a good deal at the time!  ;D Vacuum bags = my saviour! You would not believe what I've managed to fit in 6 suitcases!

Fingers crossed the sun will be shining on us as we'll have no heating/fans etc till my Electron delivery arrives on Thursday. I see it's been a bit cloudy in recent days.

This thread has been so helpful, thanks everyone who commented - you guys got me from 'clueless headless chicken' to 'calm and feeling fairly in control' in a matter of weeks! I'm sure I'll be back for more advice once we're settled.

I've got a VERY busy 4 days ahead - meetings with kitchen people, pool people, hot tub people, and hopefully a builder. Along with accepting my MASSIVE Ikea and Electron deliveries.

Hope to see the sunshine and the sea for a little break here and there and will also try to get to the Return Bar for a little sangria or 6 on Friday night. So if any of you fellow Lajares peeps are around - we might see you there!

The following users thanked this post: Windermeregolfer