Author Topic: Strikes  (Read 3090 times)

Offline fifiTopic starter

Strikes
« on: December 18, 2016, 21:10:00 pm »
Brits in Spain returning for Christmas warned of strikes at 18 UK airports
By: thinkSPAIN , Saturday, December 17, 2016

EXPATS in Spain travelling to the UK to spend Christmas with family and friends should try to change their flights to earlier in the week if possible – workers at 18 airports, including the main London terminals, will be on strike on Friday, December 23 and on Christmas Eve, a Saturday.

Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton employees are among the 1,500 or so planning to down tools as a 'last resort', according to their union.

Their salaries have been frozen since 2014, despite the cost of living rocketing even since then and housing now out of reach of the budgets of most first-time buyers.

Unite, representing the workers, has rejected proposals to increase wages by 4.65% in three years.

Swissport luggage-handling staff have joined the strike, meaning flights are likely to be delayed or even cancelled.

Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Edinburgh are other airports affected.

Additionally, pilots on the British airline Virgin Atlantic are negotiating through their union, PPU, and say they will be working 'the bare minimum to comply with their job contracts' in protest over job conditions.

To cap it all, around 2,000 British Airways (BA) cabin crew members have voted to strike in protest over their own frozen salaries, although they have not yet given a date to do so.

It is likely, however, to be over the Christmas and New Year period, since other than summer, this is when British airports are at their busiest.

The ground staff strike at the 18 UK airports could continue indefinitely, says Unite spokesman Oliver Richardson, unless company bosses agree to open discussions with them on equal terms.

Brits living in Spain should keep a close eye on the websites for their airlines if they are due to spend Christmas and New Year in their country of origin.

Extra time should be allowed when travelling back to Spain, particularly from the main London airports where the requisite two hours before take-off is frequently not enough time to check in and get through security on a normal day

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
Re: Strikes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 21:35:08 pm »
Funnily enough, Liverpool Airport will not be affected by the strike.

Now who, particularly those of a certain age, ever thought that would be the case?   :D  ;D  :P

The following users thanked this post: Windermeregolfer

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 21:35:08 pm »

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 21:40:44 pm »
Very bad time of year for a strike. Bah Humbug and all that. :D

Dont tell me what "a certain age" is. That way I will never reach it. :D

Offline brizzle

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:21:18 am »
I am flying out to Fuerte from Manchester with a friend on Dec 23rd. He contacted Ryanair who told him all their flights are scheduled to depart as normal and if the strike goes ahead they will fly with cabin baggage only (this is all we are taking) as they reckon only 20% of passengers check in hold luggage anyway! They have done this before during strikes.

Offline Johnrgby2

• Real stupidity trumps experience every time
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:49:30 am »
Funnily enough, Liverpool Airport will not be affected by the strike.

Now who, particularly those of a certain age, ever thought that would be the case?   :D  ;D  :P

:D :D :D :D

Offline paully

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:40:53 am »

You are far too young to be anywhere near that `certain age` Fi xxx ;D

Offline bedouin

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
I am flying out to Fuerte from Manchester with a friend on Dec 23rd. He contacted Ryanair who told him all their flights are scheduled to depart as normal and if the strike goes ahead they will fly with cabin baggage only (this is all we are taking) as they reckon only 20% of passengers check in hold luggage anyway! They have done this before during strikes.

Might or might not be OK, as Swissport staff (who are striking) also handle check-in at some airports.

Offline brizzle

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 15:23:45 pm »
Will find out for sure on the 23rd. I have checked in online and will go straight to security with my cabin bag. If they are only going to allow cabin baggage then they won't want to use any check-in desks or staff which won't be good for those who do want to check-in large baggage to the hold, but passengers should be aware of the situation and prepare accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 15:28:47 pm by brizzle »

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 01:11:43 am »

You are far too young to be anywhere near that `certain age` Fi xxx ;D

Oh absoloutely Paully ;) :D

Offline brizzle

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 19:16:09 pm »
Good news - the strike has been called off for Dec 23/24  ;D