Author Topic: Is it me?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Johnrgby2Topic starter

• Real stupidity trumps experience every time
Is it me?
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:49:37 am »
From The BBC yesterday.

"Six million men and women will have to wait a year longer than they expected to get their state pension, the government has announced.
The rise in the pension age to 68 will now be phased in between 2037 and 2039, rather than from 2044 as was originally proposed."

Now is it me, or would you have thought with all thats is going on in The UK anyone would have the time to think about this let alone work out the costs? it is not for another 20 years, there could be 5/6 different governments by then, surely there are more pressing matters that need attention?

Offline bedouin

Re: Is it me?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »
Although it's 20 years away, it's vital to give ample notice to those affected so that they can plan their futures.

Fuerteventura Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

Offline Johnrgby2Topic starter

• Real stupidity trumps experience every time
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 13:33:49 pm »
Although it's 20 years away, it's vital to give ample notice to those affected so that they can plan their futures.

Mmmm; judging by the uptake of workplace pensions, or more correctly the lack of uptake, it would appear the majority of people in the UK do not plan past next weekend.

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 13:46:16 pm »
You can only plan ahead as far as your income will allow. And in most cases that's not very far. Living your life comes first and foremost.

Add up 20 years worth of Foreign aid output.. that would probably add a nice slice to the state pension. Not likely though as this Government thinks ventures in China and India are far more worthy of the cash than it's own pensioners. But what do we expect from a body of people who's own pension pots and salaries far exceed the masses. Not much sympathy that's for sure.

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 13:59:28 pm »
Rather than cut foreign aid, let's get rid of useless nukes. Take from the very very poor to give to the poor? No mention of the vast corporations avoiding tax or the 5% of the population controlling 80% of the wealth. Unbelievable ☹️

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 14:51:00 pm »
Not sure I'm with you on the nukes bit. Ideal world everyone gets rid of them. But it's nowhere near ideal and never will be.

As for taking from the poor, the countries in question need to be taught to spend their wealth on the population rather than costly enterprises that do nothing for the common good. If we keep donating them money they will never learn to keep their own house in order and will continue to squander what little resources they do have. I find it hard to take that a Tory Government is outdoing Labour on one of it's favorite policies..throw money at a problem and hope it goes away. As for corporation tax avoidance, that's something they need to address pronto...won't dispute that.

Offline woe10

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 15:48:18 pm »
Rather than cut foreign aid, let's get rid of useless nukes. Take from the very very poor to give to the poor? No mention of the vast corporations avoiding tax or the 5% of the population controlling 80% of the wealth. Unbelievable ☹️

That sounds like a good Corbynistic Idea. Everybody get rid of their Nuclear Arms and leave N. Korea to wipe us all out   :o

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 15:56:48 pm »
Yes, I'm sure Kim Jong-un is just waiting for his opportunity to nuke the U.K. 😂 Must admit I had grudging respect of Cameron but as usual with Tories, ends up with bloodbath, not that it's much Better with Corbyn ! Why is it people keep
Running to the extremes looking for an answer?

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 17:02:36 pm »
No mention of the vast corporations avoiding tax or the 5% of the population controlling 80% of the wealth.
That's why there still is wealth.

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 17:15:32 pm »

Like they did when they stuck 5 years on the womens pension age in one go.   ???

Offline bedouin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 17:36:48 pm »
Like they did when they stuck 5 years on the womens pension age in one go.   ???

They didn't do that.  In 1995, the Pensions Act changed the state pension age for women, with a gradual increase in pension age.  Women born in 1950 generally got their state pension in 2010 at age 60 or soon after.  Women born in 1955 generally got their state pension in 2019/20 at age 64/65.  So there was no sudden increase, indeed those worst affected were effectively given almost 25 years' notice.

Offline LAshire

• Never ruin an apology with an excuse.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 18:53:25 pm »
Bedouin just read your post and would like to know where you get your information?

My wife has taken exception to your post as you have hit a nerve.  The first time that she was made aware of any changes was about 3 and a half years ago to inform her that instead of her expected pension which she expected at the age of 62 this would now be increased by nearly 4 years and she was born in 1954.  She has double checked these figures on the .Gov site so it seems that someone has got it wrong.  If you can't see this as a sudden increase then let us know.

Offline bedouin

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 19:00:35 pm »
Bedouin just read your post and would like to know where you get your information?

My wife has taken exception to your post as you have hit a nerve.  The first time that she was made aware of any changes was about 3 and a half years ago to inform her that instead of her expected pension which she expected at the age of 62 this would now be increased by nearly 4 years and she was born in 1954.  She has double checked these figures on the .Gov site so it seems that someone has got it wrong.  If you can't see this as a sudden increase then let us know.

Yes, there were changes in 2011 which accelerated the introduction.  It was probably badly publicised.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 19:21:33 pm »

That sounds like a good Corbynistic Idea. Everybody get rid of their Nuclear Arms and leave N. Korea to wipe us all out   :o

corbyn doesnt need weapons he will just roll over and give anyone who wants whatever they want without question.

look back at history, corbyn LOVES everyone that HATES us.

Offline MalT

• Bluebirds
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 19:48:17 pm »
And which 'home grown' terrorist cell are we going to nuke today? Yesterday's weapons for yesterday's wars. Sometimes you need to speak to those you don't agree with, ask the irish.

Offline vivafuerte

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 20:08:25 pm »
labour

Offline mooro

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 20:33:46 pm »

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7405/CBP-7405.pdf

Yes, there were changes in 2011 which accelerated the introduction.  It was probably badly publicised.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7405/CBP-7405.pdf

The above is the link to the government notes the good news is that retraining will be provided for those effected😎