Author Topic: Telefonica phone and internet  (Read 55831 times)

Offline Carlo

Telefonica phone and internet
« on: October 18, 2011, 14:15:11 PM »
What's the average cost people are paying for line rental? Also, is the only way to get internet in Fuerte through Telefonica? Is there a combined 'package' for internet and phone line rental.

Cheers

Offline fifi

(No Subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 14:28:38 PM »
Hi Carlo I dont know anything about Telephonicas internet but you can get pay as you go internet from Canarynet for €30 a month. (no phone line needed) If the signal is not strong enough where you are living they will install one of their ariels on your roof for around €145 http://www.canarynet-hotspots.com/ Also if you are renting check and see if it is possible to actually get a phone line because not everywhere can get one.

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 14:39:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by fifi

Hi Carlo I dont know anything about Telephonicas internet but you can get pay as you go internet from Canarynet for €30 a month. (no phone line needed) If the signal is not strong enough where you are living they will install one of their ariels on your roof for around €145 http://www.canarynet-hotspots.com/ Also if you are renting check and see if it is possible to actually get a phone line because not everywhere can get one.

How did I know it would be you Fifi [;)].

So how does the internet work without a phone line. Do they have cable in Fuerte?

I just checked yesterday about the apartment I'm interested in and they have a phone line and satellite dish cable from the previous tenants.

I suppose I would need to find out the cheapest way of having both a phone and internet.

Cheers, as always, Fifi [;)]

Offline fifi

(No Subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 15:01:27 PM »
In my bungalow I have a little ariel on the roof and a wire that comes inside which I put into the computer (the cheap way of doing it) For an extra 100 euros I was offered wireless connectivity. You get a card with a password on it which you enter into your computer and when the time you have paid for expires you need to top up either online with Paypal or go out to one of the bars that sells their top up cards. I find it fairly reliable but the speed seems to drop in my area from 7 to 9. They are a really good company to deal with, any problems are answered on the spot over the phone so if you are not going with Telephonica they might be worth contacting.[:)]

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 15:41:55 PM »
Cheers Fifi.

Just found this Telefonica package, looks really reasonable to be fair.

http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

What do you reckon?

Offline cockney

(No Subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 18:01:50 PM »
This is not 'Telefonica' but an agency. I use them for my calls and they are cheaper than Telefonica and reliable.[:)]

Offline scorpio1966

(No Subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 18:09:12 PM »
hi fifi,i tried one of the top up cards for canarie net this summer but very rare could i get a signal (campo de golf caleta).the ariel you mention does that boost the signal ?who did you get to install it?would be very interested in any info.do they check if you will be able to get a connection before installing aerial.thanks craig

Offline fifi

(No Subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 18:22:31 PM »
Hi Scorpio, yes it boosts the signal. Canarynet installed it for me. They will check the signal for you.[:)]

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 18:23:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cockney

This is not 'Telefonica' but an agency. I use them for my calls and they are cheaper than Telefonica and reliable.[:)]

Cheers mate.

Offline Brightspark

(No Subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 18:35:04 PM »
Telefonica's deals change monthly, the best way is to phone them on 1004 and ask them what's going at the moment.
We pay around 55 euro a month for a decent speed and phoneline

Offline bridlife

(No Subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 18:51:42 PM »
Telefonica costs most people around 70 euros a month. They refuse to speak any English when things go wrong. But manage to find English speakers when they want to sell you something. The friends I know who started having telefonica, have now all moved to alternatives. I have done the same. I am currently using a vodafone dongle for 30 euros a month, some friends have gone to BT Spain, and too early to say if they are any good, their charges are cheaper than telefonica. But it's not really BT Spain, just some outfit using the name. They still have to use the Telefonica connection.

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 18:54:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by brightspark

Telefonica's deals change monthly, the best way is to phone them on 1004 and ask them what's going at the moment.
We pay around 55 euro a month for a decent speed and phoneline

€55 per month? I can't see how www.telefonicainenglish.com/ can be right then. Something can't be right about that site and offer then. I'm confused now.

Offline Brightspark

(No Subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 20:51:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bridlife
 They refuse to speak any English when things go wrong.

Sorry but your in Spain.....

And Carlo, I have used Telefonica for around 3 years, never really had mega issues with them, yes they are expensive, but only if you compare them to the UK etc
This time around my contract is 12 month and for 6 months at 30 euro and  now it's 59 euro for the remaining 6 months

After the 6 months bonus I was allowed to upgrade from 3mb to 6mb and I'll be honest, the connection is great for where I am.

Would I used a middleman? probably not but that's your decision

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 22:58:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by brightspark

quote:
Originally posted by bridlife
 They refuse to speak any English when things go wrong.

Sorry but your in Spain.....

And Carlo, I have used Telefonica for around 3 years, never really had mega issues with them, yes they are expensive, but only if you compare them to the UK etc
This time around my contract is 12 month and for 6 months at 30 euro and  now it's 59 euro for the remaining 6 months

After the 6 months bonus I was allowed to upgrade from 3mb to 6mb and I'll be honest, the connection is great for where I am.

Would I used a middleman? probably not but that's your decision

It's all useful info mate, nice one. [;)]

Offline Rich000

(No Subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 19:34:03 PM »
€42 for 12 months then goes up to €56 afterwards (€122 install).This was last March I get 8mb internet and that is with them having to run a line from a junction box as my complex has no phone system.

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 20:16:29 PM »
Cockney, is everything in this link above board then?

http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

10 MB unlimited broadband
€49.00 Install
€26.90 for the first 12 months, €41.90 thereafter
Free wireless router

Seems like a no-brainer to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Offline janetandsteve

(No Subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 23:05:24 PM »
Think maybe the difference between the different Telefonica/Movistar prices is that some have included the line rental and others haven't. Also their offers seem to vary almost month to month.
We're comparing broadband options and would be interested in people's experiences either of Telefonica or other other providers.

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by janetandsteve

Think maybe the difference between the different Telefonica/Movistar prices is that some have included the line rental and others haven't. Also their offers seem to vary almost month to month.
We're comparing broadband options and would be interested in people's experiences either of Telefonica or other other providers.

Aah, see what you mean there. After reading the small print in the link I posted, I came across this:-

Q. Do I need a landline to have an Adsl broadband service and do I still have to pay for line rental?
A. Yes, to receive Adsl broadband you must have a connected, working land line. Telefonica Movistar line rental currently costs 13.97€ plus 2.52€ maintenance plus IVA tax per month.

So, add that to the 26.90€ they quoted, it would equate to 43.39€, plus IVA tax is added, although I was under the impression IVA didn't apply in the Canaries. Still, it is very misleading and isn't as good value as they are trying to make out, it would seem.

Think I will go with the advise of Brightspark and Rich000.

Thanks for everyone's advice, as always [;)]

Offline keitht

(No Subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 23:59:28 PM »
We use canarynet when we are over. As Fifi says its not fast but you can send emails and view websites. We tried skype but too slow. I got a high gain adapter from ebay for about £12 and then bought an external airiel for about a tenner and set it permanently on the top of our house. The adapter does come with an arial but you have to hang it out of the windo and its a bit of a hassle. We are about a mile from a "hot spot" so it works ok

Offline fourthwisemonkey

• we will remember
(No Subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 13:16:57 PM »
I switched from telefonica/movistar to ORANGE.
39.50€/month for 6Mb (not an offer so does not go up after a few months)
Same package as telefonica ie ADSL+phone line+928 numbers free+free calls to a designated orange mobile. They also throw in a free dongle for PAYG. (Slow but okay as back up if system ever fails)
Orange do not have a english speaking help line but then again 1004 on telefonica was always hit or miss and if it was an ADSL problem they passed you to a non-english speaking tech support anyway.

All the main isp´s have to rely on telefonica/movistar landlines but the exchange equipment does seem a little more reliable.

Recently all my area was off for a week and movistar said contractors had cut the cable.......funny my orange adsl was still functioning over that same cut cable!!!

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 14:42:44 PM »
I'm also going to invest in a S Video / Audio to Scart cable to connect the laptop to TV. Got to be worth £2.45.

Offline KateS

(No Subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 16:15:50 PM »
Hi. What don't you try Direct-Telecom?  They are an english company based in Tenerife. I am with them years for my phone calls, a lot cheaper than Movistar/Telefonica. I will be moving my whole package with them next month(landline+internet+calls) as I am back here full time. Check their different packages on offer at: www.direct-telecom.es

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 17:34:52 PM »
Nice one for that Kate, I'll check it out [;)].

Offline portsmouth

(No Subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by KateS

Hi. What don't you try Direct-Telecom?  They are an english company based in Tenerife. I am with them years for my phone calls, a lot cheaper than Movistar/Telefonica. I will be moving my whole package with them next month(landline+internet+calls) as I am back here full time. Check their different packages on offer at: www.direct-telecom.es

Kate,
Did you switch to Direct Telecom?
If so how's the broadband service?
thanks

Offline Globetrotter

• Бесплатный Радио Живет На
(No Subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by KateS

Natalie Preisendörfer
Customer Service
Direct Telecom
Customer service: 900 DIRECT - info@direct-telecom.es
Technical support: 900 DIRECT - support@direct-telecom.es
Fax: 922 782 862
(Customer Service from UK: 08445987111 )
Web: www.direct-telecom.es

Offline janetandsteve

(No Subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 00:33:00 AM »
Prices of Direct Telecom's regular service (around €50 p.m. inc line rental) look fairly similar to Movistar's post-offer prices. I imagine their customer service is somewhat better though. I had to navigate the following problems when getting my Movistar broadband set up:
- the Movistar shop in Corrie telling me I couldn't have the latest broadband offer as I was already renting a phone line - untrue
- Movistar restricting the service as the shop had decided it wasn't possible to get more than 6 Mb max on the island - again untrue
- Movistar sneaking a couple of services I never requested onto my bill

Speaking Spanish I was finally able to get these all sorted with the central phone service, but I don't trust them now and feel I have to watch them like a hawk. If you are going to use them, do it on-line and check your bills carefully. Definitely don't go the shop next to Rocasa - they are rude and lie to you.

Offline ZappaRocks

(No Subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Recently I switched from Movistar to Mas Movil via UKTV, the new card was 10 euro and I got 10 euro credit so it was free and I've kept my old number.

I would regularly put 10 euro on my phone without making any calls I'd be lucky to get a few days out of it. I still have the original 10 euro with Mas Movil and have not only made calls but international too.

Changing over wasn't easy, I needed the serial number of the card which is normally printed on it but not mine as it was older, I first thought I would ask at the Movistar shop but thinking they weren't the most helpful at the best of times how good would they be when you're about to dessert them.

So had a look online, mostly translated apparently it's the in thing for the shop to recommend phoning 1004 and when you do they tell you they can't give you that information. So looked on the Movistar forums and found a couple of techs telling people to give them their info and they would sort it out for them.

So I joined and send one girl a pm who sent me a message back saying sorry we can't give out that sort of info. So I replied with the link that showed her doing the opposite just the day before, she just replied with the same answer. Obviously these people were different than me, top tip don't apologise for your bad Spanish beforehand and let them know that your not.

So off to their office passport in hand and waited half an hour or so to be told they had somehow lost my details. Difficult to believe since only a year or two ago like everybody else I had to digitally sign for the card confirming all my personal details. So the only way to get the serial was to  borrow a smart phone and use a program to read it. That turned out to be difficult so I ended up buying an Android samsung for 125 euro from one of the Indian shops, which was cheap and it's a great phone. So finally back to UKTV and hand in my number and job done.

Movistar had picked up on the fact that I bought a new phone and after being with them for ten years now offered me the exact same model I'd just bought, also cheaper calls blah blah blah all by text as I wouldn't answer their sales dept.

Why wouldn't I answer because I knew they would be speaking in English and yes this is Spain and I've no right to complain and I'm not but it irkes me that a company can see good business sense in securing a customer when they're about to lose one but not for the previous ten years.

If I had a bicycle shop in Soho there's a good chance I would fare better if at least one of the staff spoke Chinese, rightly of wrongly that's good business sense. Especially in my case I could be a casual visitor who can't be expected to remember any Spanish I'd picked up from last visit without constantly practicing it since, it is a tourist island. It's like the cinema once showing films in the original language once a week but it never worked, why? Because they advertised them in Spanish! This a cinema underneath several hotels so most of the nearest possible clientele were more likely to speak English than not.

Anyway they then started harassing me phoning twice every five minutes from 8 in the morning till 8 at night but I had downloaded a phone blocker which auto hung up on them, though I'd set it to answer first just for fun. All I got was a bleep to let me know they were still at it, which I could've turned off. I knew it was a machine calling but obviously they would still have to monitor it in case I decided to answer which I did on a few occasions by setting the phone down but even then no-one spoke, nor did I. Obviously they were well used to this.

After hundreds of missed calls and texts with only the occasional break they only give up when I was switched over to Mas Movil after 5 days or so, now I wouldn't give them the time of day.
Try to educate a fool and you become one

Offline ZappaRocks

(No Subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
I do realise it might sound hypocritical by not being fluent in Spanish either but the Spanish deal mostly with Canal + and their free installations so with few exceptions I deal with the English speaking community and the odd German to lighten your day. :)

As far as my moral stance I'll use a disclaimer of ignorance in the terms and conditions of being a man...
Try to educate a fool and you become one

Offline stevoa29

(No Subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
I was with Telefonica but moved to Bt Spain, they are a lot cheaper and if you don't already have a phone line they will sort all that out for you, phone calls to the Uk are free aswell,and they speak English as do the technical Dept, I've had no trouble with them unlike Telefonica
Bt Spain's number is 902881072

Offline Carlo

(No Subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 15:54:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stevoa29

I was with Telefonica but moved to Bt Spain, they are a lot cheaper and if you don't already have a phone line they will sort all that out for you, phone calls to the Uk are free aswell,and they speak English as do the technical Dept, I've had no trouble with them unlike Telefonica
Bt Spain's number is 902881072

Sounds good that mate. Do you know if they do any combined phone / internet packages?