Mag 254

Started by willie5094, June 14, 2018, 13:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire58

We have opted for Apple TV. Tried an Apple 4 box last time we were out & all ok. It says it works down to about 2mbts so should be fine. I took the tv player + option (£79 for the year & up to 3 devices) so we now use that in UK & Fuerte. Gives us approx 90 channels, including all the usuals & ITV Be for the missus. Had to get rid of SKy/Virgin in UK, cost is now getting beyond a joke

Lexeus

Have you seen that Sky have launched a box in Spain? It looks like it's essentially the same as the UK NowTV box but they have branded it Sky here, and the channels they are offering are more limited, â,¬10/month box is free.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: Lexeus on June 17, 2018, 20:55:23 PM
Have you seen that Sky have launched a box in Spain? It looks like it's essentially the same as the UK NowTV box but they have branded it Sky here, and the channels they are offering are more limited, â,¬10/month box is free.

Lexeus - Do you have a web link to get more information on this service and can it be linked to your UK subscription?

Deso

Quote from: beachlife on June 16, 2018, 17:17:24 PM
Quote from: Deso on June 16, 2018, 00:31:36 AM
Quote from: beachlife on June 15, 2018, 16:30:55 PM
I was using a 250 mag box on the island and was so pleased with it, I decided to get a box  for the UK. I read that the 256 mag had a faster processor so thought that as it was faster than the 250, I would take the 256 box out to the island and use the 256 mag on Fuerte.

I set everything up on the 256 in the UK so it should have been plug and play when I got to the island. However, once I connected it to the movistar router when I arrived back on the island, it would not connect to the internet either wifi or with ethernet. I researched it and it seems that a number of people have had issues with the router used by telefonica. I tried with different security settings on the mag box and tried to change the movistar router settings and configuration for it to connect with the mag 256, with no luck. I went back to the 250 mag and the router had no problem with connecting with that to my iptv service. I took the 256 back to the UK and am sitting watching the world cup with it now.

So be careful which mag box you get. With hindsight I should have got a 254 mag for fuerte as I believe that the software on both the 250 and the 254 are very similar with just slight differences on the hardware. The 256 has different software hence why the movistar router seems not to talk to it.

Not sure if the 300 mags have the same problem with a movistar router that I had, but be interesting to know if anyone has used any of the 300 mags with a movistar router

The 250 and 254 are obsolete now, the 322 is the replacement for the 254. I have taken my Movistar router out and put in a TPLink VR600 to give better WIFI coverage but I'm sure my old 254 used to work fine with the Movistar one although I did have a Smart DNS set up with that so as to have BBC and ITV players available as a back up.

The 254 should work with the movistar router, as it has the same architecture as the 250. You can still get 250/254/256 on ebay. If you go to Informir site you can still get 254/256 so they are not obsolete.

Just didn`t want anyone buying a 256 and then trying it with a movistar provided router and wondering why it didn`t work.Changing the DNS doesn`t make any difference when using a 256 and a movistar router as its the security that seems to be the problem. As I said tried going into router portal and changing setting with no luck. Only way would be to flash the router but wasn`t worth the effort as the 250 worked for me on the rock and 256 worked in the UK. Only difference the DNS made using 1.1.1.1 was download was quicker, so certainly recommend changing DNS to go faster, although know you were doing that to get UK channels. No need to use a VPN or anything but with Beams iptv. Also Beams allow you to watch EPL when in UK without it being cutout at kick off.

MAG256 has 1 Gb ram, MAG322 has only 512 Mb ram. Reports that the 322 is slower than the 256. Also where subtitles are provided the 256 shows them whereas the 322 doesn`t.

Interesting that your 322 works with TPlink V600 will bear that in mind if I have to upgrade the mag box to a 300 series box. Or I may consider to change to a different router and use a 256 mag due to its faster processor.

Did you get the Tplink router in on the rock or bring it from overseas ?

I brought it over with me.  :)

The Movistar Router was the RTA01N   

http://www.movistar.es/rpmm/estaticos/residencial/fijo/banda-ancha-adsl/manuales/modem-router-inalambricos-adsl/Router%20ADSL%20Observa%20RTA01Nv2/user-manual-router-adsl-rta01n-observa-v2.pdf
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

beachlife

Interesting that your 322 works with TPlink V600 will bear that in mind if I have to upgrade the mag box to a 300 series box. Or I may consider to change to a different router and use a 256 mag due to its faster processor.

Did you get the Tplink router in on the rock or bring it from overseas ?
[/quote]

I brought it over with me.  :)

The Movistar Router was the RTA01N   

http://www.movistar.es/rpmm/estaticos/residencial/fijo/banda-ancha-adsl/manuales/modem-router-inalambricos-adsl/Router%20ADSL%20Observa%20RTA01Nv2/user-manual-router-adsl-rta01n-observa-v2.pdf
[/quote]

Thanks Deso for that info.

Was concerned that the connection to the phone wall socket might be different on Fuerteventura compared to the UK. 
So might bring a different router over from the UK to give the 256 mag a go in fuerte as I know the 256 mag works great with my UK router.

Deso

As you say, the wall socket is different but fortunately the input socket on the modem/router is the same so you can use your existing lead from socket to modem/router.   :D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Lexeus

The phone socket in Spain uses an RJ11 connector, just like the US and most developed countries.

The UK for years has held onto a BS6312 connector, always requiring an adaptor cable from BS6312 to RJ11.

But nowadays if you have a Fibre to the cabinet internet connection in the UK (known as VDSL, often with a white BT VDSL modem) then you will have an upgraded master phone socket faceplate that has both connectors, a BS6312 for the phone and RJ11 for the VDSL modem, with a built-in micro-filter.

willie5094

To return to the start of my thread, I have purchased the Mag 322 box and set it up with a free IPTV 24 hour trial to test the box, I can report that the box works perfect, saying that I have 17mbps compared to who knows what I will get in up the hill in Caleta. If all goes well then hopefully it'll perform just as well in FV.....

Johnrgby2

Quote from: willie5094 on June 19, 2018, 21:33:49 PM
To return to the start of my thread, I have purchased the Mag 322 box and set it up with a free IPTV 24 hour trial to test the box, I can report that the box works perfect, saying that I have 17mbps compared to who knows what I will get in up the hill in Caleta. If all goes well then hopefully it'll perform just as well in FV.....

We live on "The Hill" in Caleta and struggled to get 2/3 Mbps, which at peak times and weekends would drop to less than 1Mbps with Movistar, so good luck.

willie5094

Saying that I done a speed test on Mag box and it was 2.3mbps yet speedtest.net on laptop and phone is over 17mbps very strange indeed, will just need to suck it and see Johnrgby2......

Deso

Apparently, the speed test via a MAG box is unreliable so I wouldn't take any notice of that.
Regards, Neil

Lexeus

Quote from: willie5094 on June 20, 2018, 09:50:31 AM
Saying that I done a speed test on Mag box and it was 2.3mbps yet speedtest.net on laptop and phone is over 17mbps very strange indeed, will just need to suck it and see Johnrgby2......

It's a really sad fact that some ISP's manipulate the results you get when you use speedtest.net
I am with Vodafone 4g mobile internet and sometimes when I see my downloads running slowly (around 4-5Mbps) I run speedtest .net and suddenly all downloads pickup to 20+Mbps, but only for a couple of minutes, then they revert back to the slower speed.

It's all to do with FairUsagePolicy, packet shaping, etc and basically limiting users connections so that when everyone is online you still get a usable experience, or equally unusable ;)

I would recommend downloading a large file from Microsoft as a good way of conducting a speedtest.

Lexeus

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on June 18, 2018, 17:58:02 PM
Quote from: Lexeus on June 17, 2018, 20:55:23 PM

Lexeus - Do you have a web link to get more information on this service and can it be linked to your UK subscription?

Sorry, only just noticed your question. I don't know if you can link it to your UK subscription, but I think the EU law means currently this is all changing and they have to let you use your UK access  atleast temporarily, for example 30days abroad. On the other hand this Spanish service is more like NowTV, so I would think it ever be part of the UK Sky service, it's only the branding that differs from NowTV as for as I can tell.

Check out the link here https://www.sky.com/es-spa/