Ryanair new luggage policy

Started by F1REFLY999, September 06, 2017, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedouin

Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 14:52:55 PM

WHY can't they just go back to enforcing the simple rule: 1 × 55x40 in the overhead and nothing else up there....all the rest under the seat.

Simply because there isn't enough room in the overhead bins!  With 189 seats, the bins perhaps have capacity for 100 bags (or a few more on the latest versions of the 737).

Archer

Not the case. Not everyone brings 55x40 carry ons. I have travelled many times and observed the fiasco. Everything will fit...more than 90, if they observe the simple rules.
Where do you get 90 from? That's just RA sugtesting this as the limit.

Archer

By the way, the new generation of 737's carry nearly 200 cases. The bins have been redesigned to carry the standard bag on it's side! Anyone got these planes or the upgrade on order??

Ernie

Roughly speaking on the standard RA 737s one bin spans about three rows or nine seats, and one bin will only hold three or perhaps four cases. The numbers don`t add up if everyone decided to carry on the largest allowed size. It has been great for years but I guess all good things come to an end.

The fun will start when there are more people paying for Priority than there are spaces in the lockers. But I doubt I`ll be one of them until I have a nightmare waiting at the carousel and vow never to go “Other Q” again.

Villan

I used to research the likely departure gate and position ourselves accordingly whilst waiting for the flight to be called,  board amongst the first non priority passengers then settle into our seats quickly. Now, no point in any of that, more chilled, slow approach to boarding.

bedouin

Quote from: Ernie on January 11, 2018, 16:06:54 PM

The fun will start when there are more people paying for Priority than there are spaces in the lockers.

The extra cases will just go in the hold, as Ryanair's T&Cs state.

Will196

Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 15:45:04 PM
By the way, the new generation of 737's carry nearly 200 cases. The bins have been redesigned to carry the standard bag on it's side! Anyone got these planes or the upgrade on order??

I'm fairly sure Ryanair has order these planes. But don't they have more seats also?

Will196

Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 15:34:47 PM
That's just RA sugtesting this as the limit.

They aren't suggesting that's their limit. Their plane their rules.

The problem isn't just the space it's the time people take. Watch how long people waste first boarding then disembarking.

spitfire58

Quote from: Will196 on January 12, 2018, 06:26:41 AM
Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 15:45:04 PM

I'm fairly sure Ryanair has order these planes. But don't they have more seats also?

There are already some in use. Was on one a few weeks ago on a trip to Dublin. The bins have been redesigned & appear to be much bigger & easier to use. The seats are also thinner (by a couple of inches) but seem more comfortable, not sure if that means they have fitted in an extra row or two

spitfire58

Quote from: Will196 on January 12, 2018, 11:57:43 AM
I've been on those to. I thought he meant the new 737 max

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-buys-another-10-boeing-737-max-200s-bringing-firm-orders-to-110-with-100-options-outstanding/

These aren't in service yet are they?

They must be a full new model then. I thought it was just an upgrade on the existing 737-800. I stand corrected 😁😁

bedouin

The bigger "Space Bins" are on the 737 MAX.  Ryanair have 110 of these on order, but won't get any until 2019.

fatherted

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/passengers-face-50-ryanair-fine-14145085

Just pleased I'm not flying with Ryanair on Monday, it'll be absolute carnage. The Ryanair staff will have very sore fingers after counting all them £50 notes or using the card machines.

paully

The newer 737-800`s were delivered with what is called the sculptured interior. The main differences from the older models are the luggage bins which are easier to use and can take more in the way of hand luggage than the older versions. The ceiling lighting is also different, but difficult to describe. A bit more pleasant than before.

Ryanair are already operating some of these and the new 800`s of Jet2 are all like this..hence where I`ve seen them from.

Not sure what the `Max` interiors will be like.
I HATE computer thingyss

Johnrgby2

The interior of a 737 Max, as operated by Southwest Airlines, does not mean Dire Air,s will look anything like this :D

F1REFLY999

Travelled with Jet2 in November on one of there newier planes...as described mood lighting and bigger overhead bins does in my opinion make for a more pleasant flight  ;D
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

Will196

The new 737s are nice. The seats look like they wouldn't be but they are nice. Feels like more room overall. If the max are better  ;D

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on January 12, 2018, 17:56:26 PM

The interior of a 737 Max, as operated by Southwest Airlines, does not mean Dire Air,s will look anything like this :D

Thanks for the pic John. That is what we were in on a Ryanair flight from Edinburgh to Dublin in mid December so they must have got some early. It did feel slightly more spacious & the seats were comfortable, bins were much bigger & easier to access as well. Only issue I saw was that when they are open they hang a bit lower so have to duck a bit getting out of the seat. They are also shorter. The old bins covered I think three seats whereas these only cover two

Windermeregolfer

We flew on Monday back to Manchester, when making the reservation always book front row extra leg room seats which up until recently have given automatic priority boarding so usually one of the first on the plane.  Have to say on Monday it was noticeable how few hand luggage carry on bags (correct size or not) came into the cabin and the captain announce we will depart once the gate bags are loaded, so it appears they are starting to implement the new policy.
We were not asked about putting our hand luggage in the hold so had no problem with our bags being in the locker above us which gave for a speedy exit from Manchester airport, not a sole, apart from staff, in Passport control when we got there  so landed and in the airport train station in under 25 minutes.

Slightly off subject but to do with Ryan air prices our flight in April back to UK with usual front row seats and priority boarding, paid for extra, have cost us £49.10 each to travel 1817miles. On Monday as we were on time we could have caught an earlier train to Windermere than the one booked and paid for in advance  but they wanted an extra £34 each to travel the 95miles on the earlier train!!!!!  So RA prices are in my opinion good value for money when you use them as a commuter service as we tend consider we are doing.   

Will196

Prices really depend on the route ,time of year and when you book. They can be exceptionally cheap or they can be no less then everybody else. Problem is on some routes you don't have any other choice

HH

I am going to Marrakech and this is what I received on an email:

You're entitled to bring 1 small personal bag (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) on board which must fit under the seat in front of you. If you want to bring 2 cabin bags on board you must add Priority & 2 Cabin Bags. If you arrive at the gate with 2 cabin bags, and you haven't purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, your second bag will be taken off you and put in the hold free of charge.
Add Priority & 2 Cabin Bags

I hate to wait for bags on a short holiday so will gladly pay the fees. 
MENTOR TO THE MENTOR TO THE BONEHEADS

spitfire58

Just checked in for flight out Tuesday & it gives numerous “opportunities” to “save yourself time, hassle etc” by booking this or that as extras, really pushing it !! On boarding card on a red box it says “NON-PRIORITY 1 SMALL BAG”

I have a booked in 20kg package so don`t care about having to retrieve bags & travelling on my own so not bothered about seating either 😀😀😀

sungod

I wish they would enforce the rule that the personal item (smaller bag) should go under the seat. That would save a lot of space in the overhead bins.

Really annoying when people early on the plane and they put both bags, jackets and other stuff in the overhead bin.

DaveW

I came flew out last Wednesday with Ryanair.  The gate was announced earlier than normal. Any person in the non priority queue with a large carry on bag had it tagged and moved to the hold. I did notice a lot more people were in the priority queue for this flight!

fatherted

I  travelled on Wed to LBA and the only thing I noticed was there was more room in the bins and possibly more people putting their small bags under the seats. I used Jet2 yesterday and it appeared to be the same as Fr.

spitfire58

Flew back from Fuerte yesterday. The gate was called earlier than previously & all bags from non priority were tagged. No rush to get at the head of the queue now & seems to be more priority boarders so they are making money !! They don`t look at backpacks though, it only seems to be hard cases. We were sitting fully boarded for ages before doors were closed & ready to go, same as the flight out. I think it is taking much longer to get ready with all the extra hold luggage. The Flight was about 2/3 full but bins were far from full, most people using for coats, small bags etc. I think this has been a right c*ck-up on RA`s part, except for the increase in priority boarders which is what they wanted to increase their revenue !! All this has done is increase their on the ground time & if they are not in the air they are not making money, they must also be paying more for ground services which the additional baggage loading !!

zedzedeleven

Voted  with my feet for my next flights, going tommy cook  (gawd help me) attracted by the early flight out but FR has deliberately complicated their luggage rules to the point of total obfuscation. It has a parallel with the old "steaming" tactic of robbery, where a gang first bumps pushes and jostles their victim into a state of confusion before stealing their wallet.
Mentor to the boneheads.

bedouin

Quote from: zedzedeleven on January 30, 2018, 13:33:55 PM
Voted  with my feet for my next flights, going tommy cook  (gawd help me) attracted by the early flight out but FR has deliberately complicated their luggage rules to the point of total obfuscation.

Surely Thomas Cook is just as complex as Ryanair?  You have either 6kg or 10kg of hand luggage.  You can book hold bags at extra cost.  You can reserve seats at extra cost.  Not much difference, except Thomas Cook generally has much less legroom.

spitfire58

I see RA have also “slipped in” a seat booking cost increase on the quiet as well !! Just looked at booking for August this year & lowest seat price up from £3 to £5.24 & that is with 25% off so regular price would be over £6 !! That is a 100% increase !!!