Afrikama bar - no map required

Started by SoCal, May 22, 2014, 10:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

Location: In the old harbor, two doors to the south of El Toston. Next to the former Pancho Villa

Atmosphere: A new, but small, place. High ceiling, very clean with white walls, large photographs of wild animals (owner shot them himself)  and new tables and chairs, a long bar, and a small patio with a spectacular view of the sunset - probably the highlight of the place since there is no structure between it at the harbor. The patio is also good for people watching. The place opens at 8 PM.  Each night I visited, by 9 PM the place started filling up with people from Spain, France, Germany and Italy.

Food / drinks: Never ordered, it is a drinking establishment, but they have a small menu of light fare. In my view, the drinks are generous and fairly priced. Alcohol is alcohol.  Free snack food is also provided.

Overall: The value of a bar is usually based on the quality of the environment for you and your friends - somewhere where you want to meet. Otherwise, you might as well drink at home - it saves money and you don't have to worry about driving. This new bar, owned and run by an Italian gentleman who has spent time in Africa, has an international flavor to it. Recommendation, get there early, sit yourself at the front of the patio and watch the sunset.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

TripleH

Agree totally with Socal, great new bar and the owner, who comes from Florence is very friendly and speaks great English. Would recommend trying it.

bycroft

Three cans of lemonade and two bottles of Dorada 13-50 euros , same order in Mare Alta 7-50 euros , Accorralado  6-90 eoros...
As they say in the TV ad.... " you do the Maths !! "

SoCal

Quote from: bycroft on May 24, 2014, 01:01:03 AM
Three cans of lemonade and two bottles of Dorada 13-50 euros , same order in Mare Alta 7-50 euros , Accorralado  6-90 eoros...
As they say in the TV ad.... " you do the Maths !! "

Okay, so I don't bar hop. My only other experiences are at hotel bars.  Hence I thought the prices to be reasonable.

bycroft

Being a resident we will always patronise new business's ,but tourists tend to want " best value " for their money..... merely advising difference in costs compared with other venues in the village  8)

TripleH

When we went there we had 4 drinks and we noticed no difference to anywhere else

jg

Not visited Cotillo since it opened but my comment about prices would be:
"The expensive drink in a place you enjoy is better value than a cheaper one elsewhere."
JG

SoCal

Agreed with JG.

Apologies to the owner of Afrikama, not Afrikan, who seems to be a good person. I misspelled the name of his bar. Hopefully it is corrected now.

Further update. As I passed the place last night, Monday night, the place was hopping around 10 pm with young people dancing. El Toston appeared to be closed all night. 

Ivemovedon

I like the sound of this bar. Clever play on wording of the title. Sometimes the ambience of a place warrants paying a few extra euros . Then again sometimes it doesn't. But i look forward to finding out.

MinRich

Quote from: SoCal on May 27, 2014, 19:39:27 PM
Agreed with JG.

Apologies to the owner of Afrikama, not Afrikan, who seems to be a good person. I misspelled the name of his bar. Hopefully it is corrected now.

Further update. As I passed the place last night, Monday night, the place was hopping around 10 pm with young people dancing. El Toston appeared to be closed all night.

El Toston states that they will be closed on Mondays

SoCal

Quote from: MinRich on May 28, 2014, 12:56:27 PM
Quote from: SoCal on May 27, 2014, 19:39:27 PM
...Further update. As I passed the place last night, Monday night, the place was hopping around 10 pm with young people dancing. El Toston appeared to be closed all night.

El Toston states that they will be closed on Mondays

You are most correct, they are closed on Mondays. A more recent passing of the two bars showed happy folks enjoying the evening at both establishments.

suendrob

Spent a pleasant hour or so there late last night. The owner seems genuinely friendly and pleasant. Understands his drink, too. Very bright, clean and fresh looking decor. Probably the best view from a bar in town. Prices seemed reasonable, but will check next time.
Probably now our default bar for a nightcap.

Gone Fishing

September 2015

This establishment is no longer trading as Afrikama bar.

Appears to have changed since May 2015 when we were last here.

Redecorated and re-branded - Now known as Coyote Bar.

Serves an eclectic mix of sushi and Mediterranean food and cocktails judging from the board on the pavement outside.

Live music also advertised and the walls decorated with murals of Bob Marley, Jimmi Hendrix, Jacko et al.

Will give it a go later in the week and maybe start a new thread on the outcome.

Mark07

Gone Fishing

We didn't Mark

It was closed a couple of times when we could have gone in 

silent_running

We've visited a few times since Axel took over - last over the Aug BH -  though I believe the previous Italian owner is still involved.

Good late night bar and usually much more lively than Ferets. Second best Mojito in El Cotillo....dark Rum  :D

Ivemovedon

Yes coyote bar is a winner for a few late evening drinks. They do a great G&T. In fact so good what with the very able musicians providing the entertainment we went a bit OTT. All a far cry from Cotillo 10  years ago when you struggled to see another soul in the village after 9pm. Another observation is the amount of Italians there. Truly remarkable.

warriors

ok to have a drink and watch the sun go down or a late one-where is the best G&T in Cotillo then Hollierthanthou??

Ivemovedon

The very best G&T in Cotillo is the one my wife pours out in our apartment.

Johnrgby2

:)
Quote from: Holierthanthou on July 22, 2016, 22:24:55 PM
The very best G&T in Cotillo is the one my wife pours out in our apartment.

Cannot argue that one on price alone!