El Hierro

Started by admin, October 12, 2011, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddster

Thanks for all the info guys,greatly appreciated,i think that Scarlet Dragonfly is beautiful,lovely looking thing...Cheers for the link hev,sent your best wishes to Cathy n Rob by the way...[:D]

fifi

The location of the eruptive process of El Hierro is stablehttp://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/noticias/index.jsp?module=1&page=nota.htm&id=143728 (Not a great Google translation)

13/10/2011 ... 20:41 - Ministry of Economy, Finance and Security

IGN-CSIC scientists said this afternoon that the situation in the eruptive process of El Hierro is stable but constantly monitored 24 hours a day, as there may be changes in its evolution.

Given this situation and because they continue the same level of risk, the Director General of Security and Emergency of the Canary Islands, Juan Manuel Santana, stressed that "remain the same measures of protection for the population and are proportionate to the situation current ".

Regarding the evolution of the eruptive process, Ramon Ortiz, head of CSIC scientists explained that currently are handled three possibilities: that erupts on the coast, in the interior of the island or in deep water.

Ortiz said that this is a fissure several kilometers long that magma is rising at different points, which is why he insisted that what matters is not the spot that currently exists but the evolution of tremor.

n/a

OK, lets get a little perspective on all of this. Here's a link to the recent seismic activity in the California Neveada region, many of them around San Francisco.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/special/California_Nevada_eqs.php

I don't see anybody running around screaming 'we're all gonna die!'. I've been there and experienced a few of these and the San Franciscans just shrug their shoulders and can't understand what the fuss is. Happens all the time. We live on a living organism that likes to stretch occasionally. Doesn't mean the end of the world is nigh. The people of southern El Hierro should, possibly, be concerned but I think it's totally unreasonable for people like jand to be posting endless doom and gloom predictions. Just my opinion so don't get on your high horse fifi. I'm just a little more laid back than some of you.
Biskit

fifi

I wasnt on any high horse Paul and never posted any doom and gloom messages either, just facts before they appear in the Papers because I am following the situation on Twitter. Its very interesting to see what way it pans out.[:)]

Florence

jand - from the links and copies of emails you have received from various scientists - I have been unable to see anything as bad as what you are painting - ie.  Who has said that you and your family need to get to high ground?  Who has said other islands are experiencing significant tremors?  Who has said that a lack of an underwater camera will put thousands of lives at stake?

Lets get this into perspective - its a volcano rumbling on a hotspot which may spew out lava at some point.  It is not the end of the world.

Me apologise?  It should be you apologising to this forum for being such an alarmist.  Say sorry!

Cameron

Crisis?. What crisis?. famous words indeed. Lets hope egg don't get splattered on a few faces.

little legs

sorry about calling the dragon fly ugly and nasty by the way, must of jumped to the wrong conclusion thinking it was something else when it is something totally diffrent!!!! read in between the lines if you want lol

jand

Florence how may times do I have to tell you who I have spoken to it has been cleary written in black and white and I  gather then you have not spoken directly to Prof Foulger at Durham University whose contact details I have given you so you can hear it directly from the horses mouth.

You seem to be mouthing off so much but when you have the chance to speak to the Proffesor herself you do not even bother to do this.

Regarding the seismic tremors on all the other islands its quite clearly shown on the link I have posted and there is a picture of all the islands and all the earthquakes are shown by yellow circles and the two near Gran Canary yesterday are showing aswell. The flashing circle shows the latest eartquake position.

I have copied below a section of email I received from Prof Foulger I had advised her Fuerteventura was 250 miles away from El Hierro

In the case of b), which I might add is an unlikely event, if I were working by the sea, I would have a retreat avenue in mind. I would have planned in advance how I was going to rapidly get to high ground. If I was 250 miles distant, it would take a tsunami ~ 45-60 minutes to reach me, from its point of origin, so there would be time if I planned it so I did not get stuck in traffic jams etc.

This is what I would do. Naturally official advice from the local civil defence authorities should be adhered to.

Gillian

- -
- Show quoted text -
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Gillian R. Foulger wrote:

- Gillian
- Show quoted text -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. G. R. Foulger,
Dept. Earth Sciences (Room 319), Science Labs, South Rd.,
Durham, DH1 3LE, U.K.

tel: (0191) 334 2314 or (0191) 386 4533
fax: (0191) 334 2301
email: g.r.foulger@durham.ac.uk
http://www.dur.ac.uk/g.r.foulger

Do plumes exist? Please visit: http://www.mantleplumes.org/

Plates vs Plumes: A Geological Controversy by Gillian R. Foulger
ISBN: 978-1-4051-6148-0, 352 pages, Sept. 2010, Wiley-Blackwell
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prof. G. R. Foulger,
Dept. Earth Sciences (Room 319), Science Labs, South Rd.,
Durham, DH1 3LE, U.K.

tel: (0191) 334 2314 or (0191) 386 4533
fax: (0191) 334 2301
email: g.r.foulger@durham.ac.uk
http://www.dur.ac.uk/g.r.foulger

jand

This below is another persons comments of the seismic movement at 0500 this morning that was registered on the islands listed below.

Personally I do not pretend to know if its good or bad I just know it happened and are only posting the facts.

Looks like the grand canary island had a few hits earlier today...anybody have a record on those? I can't find it...

[link to www.ign.es]

Quoting: Idgits

[link to www.ign.es]

La Gomera did as well...

Lanzarote too

[link to www.ign.es]

And Fuerteventura! [link to www.ign.es]

All of these islands had significant activity, almost all at the same time frame. That CANNOT be good!

[link to www.ign.es]

Florence

Yeah - in the case of a tsunami you would obviously have to go to high ground - but where is there an alert for a tsunami in Fuerteventura?  Who has given this alert?  I can't even see it being mentioned in any of the regular updates.  Who?  Where?   Also, you think something is going on in Gran Canaria - does anybody else?

jg

According to the report in today's Guardian:

"With the eruption deep down and several miles away under the sea, the danger to local people and tourists who travel to La Restinga for the diving was considered to be minimal – but authorities today decided to carry out their evacuation plans in case that changed.

The decision was made "due to the possibility that the centre of the eruption might move closer to the coast," the Canary Islands government said in a statement.

Regional government safety chief Juan Manuel Santana told reporters on Tuesday that raising the alert level from yellow to red – the second and third steps of a four-step system – was also a preventative measure."
JG

little legs

little diagram of what they think is happening

fifi

Hi jand I had a look at the Fuerteventura charts for June (before the earthquakes started) and some of them look similar to todays so there is no call for alarm there I think. You can key in the dates and take a look back. http://www.ign.es/ign/layoutIn/volcaSenalesAnteriores.do?estacion=CFUE

If there is a fissure several kilometres long my worry would be that if there were other strong tremors that the sea bed might collapse. That could cause serious problems. When I read todays report from the Chief scientist it made me think along those lines.("Ortiz said that this is a fissure several kilometers long that magma is rising at different points, which is why he insisted that what matters is not the spot that currently exists but the evolution of tremor.") By mid week next week hopefully the ship will have analysed the stability of the sea bed and hopefully there will be no more strong tremors.

Cameron

Any more of this and i'm contacting my insurers to raise the payout threshold..and the only thing i hope is if it all goes off sognets in the near vacinity. [;

fifi

I renewed mine today (they rang me because it was due) with Intasure and they only cover for earthquakes and not Tsunamais.

Paddster

LOL @ cameron................[8)]

Cameron

My special clause caters for all natural disasters including drunken british renters.( which sometimes looks like a tsunamis passed by when they've left)

fifi

Thats good to know [:D][:D][:D]

Paddster

Don't rent to British Cam...............[;)]

Cameron

i try not to padd but money talks.

Florence

A cursory look at other island forums reveals that they are not nearly as worked up about this as we are.  Not even Gran Canaria!

jand

Thanks Fifi for that information.

I think the difference is that this morning  at exactly the same time 0500 all the islands listed in my previous post at the same time showed seismic movement.

Its being discussed on the internet from people in different countries have copied below as an example of one

If you look at the following graphs of the IGN for today, there are some strange readings between 3 and 7 in the morning UTC, on these islands (each one of them has its own station, so it would be a strange coincidendce that all failed or gave false readings for the same time period):

Fuerteventura
[link to www.ign.es]

Lanzarote
[link to www.ign.es]

Gran Canaria
[link to www.ign.es]

La Gomera
[link to www.ign.es]

La Palma
The readings of the chart are missing for several hours
[link to www

fifi

I had a google to see what sites you were getting your information from jand and if its this one it doesnt look too reliable.[:)]http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1617390/pg166

The bit on the top says UFOs Conspiracy theories and Lunatic Fringe [:)]

It might be better to stick to the official reports [:)]

I dont think most people on this Forum are really worked up about it Florence to be honest but most of us are intelligent and know that the forces of nature do not necessarily follow rules and so it is really interesting to watch and see what happens. It is also interesting to see how well the Government handle the situation I think. Their refusal to pay for the Telefonica ship despite Zapatero promising the population that everything that was necessary would be organised was a big mistake.

"Update 13/10 – 16:47 UTC :  An additional note why the Leon Thevenin will not be contracted.  The main issue in not sending the ROV ship to the area is that the Canary Governments did NOT want to take the risk that a ROV would be damaged or even destroyed, a condition that Telefonica consortium was setting before the Leon Thevenin would sail out.  We  @ earthquake-report.com can understand such a position from the local government, but we remind Mr. Zapatero on his Monday formulated words "everything which is needed"

jand

I know which site this was listed on but if you read through some of the comments the people have linked to the ign site which is being used by the scientists at the moment and this is an official site.

Whatever has been said regarding this mornings seismic tremors has the back up and the proof from the ign site.

Please look yourself at the charts this morning on the ign site to confirm the seismic movements at 0500 on all the islands.

Some information I agree is just wacko on this site but on the other hand some is 100% correct and backed up by the ign  official site .

jand

http://www.ign.es/ign/layoutIn/volcaSenalesAyerHoy.do#

I am not pretending to be an expert but you dont need to be an expert to see the change in the pattern of the lines on the graphs and if you click into each graph on each island  the 2nd page will show in more depth and detail the movement .

fifi

Some movement is normal on the Islands jand as the previous graphs will show. There are small earthquakes going on all the time which do not hit the headlines, Gran Canaria had a 3.4 one in August, Spain and Morocco regularly have them but most do not pose a problem. Underwater eruptions can sometimes cause problems with waves but at the moment things are stable. Its a matter of waiting to see what happens. I did look at the graphs earlier for the time you mentioned but if you look in June before the earthquakes began in El Hierro there were similar peaks in the graphs .

Florence

Fifi - I absolutely agree this is interesting - thats why I am posting here and I wonder how it will all pan out but I don't like getting crackpot information from the likes of David Icke, religious fundamentalists, end of the world doom merchants or jand.  Lets keep it real.

fifi

Exactly Florence. With the right information we can all know what is going on.[:)]

Paddster

Agreed,money talks cam mate but have a chat with wes,don't count much then.....

Paddster

U a groupie fi ? Astonished....