Buying a guitar

Started by Ernie, January 08, 2018, 21:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Can anyone advise where I might buy a cheap electric guitar on the island. Of course Fuertebay and the second hand shops are one option but what about musical instrument shops ? I am aware of the one in the old town of Corralejo but it is not great. Where are the guitar shops in Puerto ?

Many thanks,

Ernie

Ernie

Thanks Keith,

I have the same guitar at home in the UK. Surely the neck is too long to fit in a hand luggage case ? Did you bring it with Ryanair ? Any more info gratefully received. A great idea that I just assumed was not possible.

It was precisely this guitar that I wanted to buy if I could find one cheap enough on the island. Just a decent cheap guitar to play while I am here.

I know all about the Boss Katana amps but don`t own one. I am a fan of the Yamaha THR series for small practice amps.

Ernie

woe10

Quote from: Ernie on January 08, 2018, 21:27:36 PM
Can anyone advise where I might buy a cheap electric guitar on the island. Of course Fuertebay and the second hand shops are one option but what about musical instrument shops ? I am aware of the one in the old town of Corralejo but it is not great. Where are the guitar shops in Puerto ?

Many thanks,
Ernie

Only one, but it's number two. They do have cheap guitars though if that's what you want, probably ythe same as in Corrie.

Musical Perdomo, Calle Sancho Panza.

Ernie

Thanks Deso. Does that mean that if I achieve the dimensions on the first line then I can carry it as my sole piece of hand luggage for free ?

calculator

Google "tiendas de musica puerto del rosario" and u get 2 or 3 results.

Don't know what they sell, but both shops seemed comprehensive, if I remember correctly.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Have you considered shipping a guitar over via Woodside?

erik_tonny

Think outside the box, or outside the island. GranCanaria is just a very short voyage away and has a lot of more possibilities

dagwood

When traveling from the 3 bums towards the Airport the road narrows and there`s an arrow to the right. Follow the arrow and there`s a fairly good music shop with a selection of guitars on one of the narrow streets. Actually it`s on a corner. Maybe street view may help. Now that was over a year ago.

Ernie

Thanks all.

I plan on checking out the two music stores mentioned, maybe even today. I have located them both on Google maps.

Shipping one out via Woodside could also be an option. I guess it depends on price.

My logic has always been that the sort of guitar I want to buy costs £120 in the UK so if I could get one here for â,¬150 or so then I would rather do that than spend half that sum or more in shipping one over.

The hand luggage option on EJ or Norwegian was something I wasn`t aware of but I have to weigh that up against the flight costs and inconvenience of getting to the nearest airport for these companies which in my case is Liverpool from Sheffield.

I thought I knew my electric guitars but the music shop in Corralejo had a rack full of names I`d never heard of. Didn`t inspire much confidence hence me looking elsewhere. All I want is a cheap Squier or Epiphone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

woe10

Quote from: erik_tonny on January 10, 2018, 09:11:45 AM
Think outside the box, or outside the island. GranCanaria is just a very short voyage away and has a lot of more possibilities

Eric is right, some great guitar shops in Las Palmas, and musch cheaper on Binter than having on shipped or paying the airline..

appy ammer

depending on the tide could you not ask the shop on gran canaria to drop it in the harbour and just wait for it, save on the airfare
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

chrisandco

We have found it very difficult to find a decent selection of musical instruments here.
We have been using Thomann in Germany. No problems with shipping.
The last purchase was a Roland piano. Great service.

Ernie

Hi Chris,

I have used Thomann a few times to ship to my home in the U.K. Great service.

How long does it take them to ship out to FV ? Are there any issues with customs etc ?

Any information gratefully received.

Regarding the music shops in Puerto, one no longer exists but is a beautician instead. The other is terrible, so it would appear that the little place in Corralejo is as good as it gets (which is dire).

Rgds,

Ernie

Ernie