Inappropriate?

Started by glongs, April 03, 2016, 19:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glongs

Just returned from a lovely week on the Island, our 5th visit.  I travel with my family and the perfect part of Fuerte is that I can be nude whilst my wife and kid don't have to be - just relax and be however we want.
However this time at the dunes I felt a little awkward due to the attention from gay men clearly 'on the prowl'  Firstly I would say that I have no issue with whatever anyone does or doesn't want to get up to in their stone circles and I am most certainly not homophobic.  What I do object to is the blantantly over the top approaches and men staring when I am walking past nude.  To be fair this seemed like a small area in the beach (near the disused old beach bar - sad to see it shut) and was a completely different atmosphere to El Cotillo which was much more family naturist friendly as usual.  This part of the beach at Corrie is a favourite for our son who likes the rock pools there to fish but being perved at constantly was rather unnerving.  I'm just a bloke who happens to enjoy being nude and walking around nude.  Why do some think it is appropriate to act like that?  I don't leer constantly at nude women?!  It's just rude!
Just an observation - anyone else got any thoughts on it?

MinRich

We had similar experiences after three visits about 8 years ago and we haven't been back since. It appears that certain areas are reknowned for it , generally the more remote areas. Way too many single men hanging about and even in El Cotillo there are roaming men around the beaches on their own. This stopped me walking from El Caleton North towards the Lighthouse but fortunately now Min comes with me so don't feel like i am being like them now. :)

paully

The area you were in, is noted for being a gay cruising area. Years ago we strayed into there and had no problems at all, but that was then. I often walk the beach on my own, wife prefers reading to walking, but I always turn back when I get to that area. Shame as it does have good rockpools and its mixed on the far side but it can be intimidating if you are on your own..Discretion is always the better part of valour  8)

On El Cotillo I`ve been fortunate to do Minrich`s walk without probs but I always maintain an awareness of whats going on around me..
I HATE computer thingyss

jg

My wife has arthritis and does not walk the beaches like I do but I have never had any sexual approaches of any kind on either the Corralejo Grandes Playas or around El Cotillo.
Perhaps they don't find me attractive.
JG

glongs

I quickly realised that it was a cruising area! I just don't understand the lack of respect? One guy even approached me, waggled his appendage in my direction and then looked offended when I politely declined! Maybe I'm out of touch but last time I checked that wasn't the best way to attract a mate gay or straight?!
And also then standing clearly staring when I'm playing football with my son! It's faintly ridiculous to be honest. Like I say by all means do what you want but at least respect others using the beach. Again in contrast to El Cotillo where I did some of the walk north towards the lighthouse with no bother and met some lovely families by the lagoons. Also single and groups of female & male naturists and had no problems. We will still visit the dunes as the boy loves it but maybe I'll just watch where I walk next time...

Snowdrop

You were with your family so not at all good.  And even on your own that's not nice.  If you are that way inclined pick up at bars or on web sites - this site has a gay section and leave the beaches for all to enjoy - swimming/sunbathing. It really spoils it when you feel uncomfortable - I leave the beach when I see the small (in height) 😉 guy with shoulder length wavy/frizzy hair - think he's Italian - between gran natura and the surf school place.  He's always walking round prowling - not nice at all.

paully

Quote from: Snowdrop on April 05, 2016, 12:23:19 PM
You were with your family so not at all good.  And even on your own that's not nice.  If you are that way inclined pick up at bars or on web sites - this site has a gay section and leave the beaches for all to enjoy - swimming/sunbathing. It really spoils it when you feel uncomfortable - I leave the beach when I see the small (in height) 😉 guy with shoulder length wavy/frizzy hair - think he's Italian - between gran natura and the surf school place.  He's always walking round prowling - not nice at all.

Speaking from personal experience this particular perv has a fear of sand, when its thrown in his face..He also understands perfectly, shall we say basic Anglo Saxon  ;D....although he is much more interested in the female of the species he`s still a perv  :(
I HATE computer thingyss

Magoo

In all the years that I have been coming to Fuerty, I can't say that I have ever encountered this sort of problem. If things are getting this bad in places, it wont be long before people start bugging the Guardia about it, & then everyone will suffer.
It would be tragic if the relaxed & tolerant attitude that people show each other on the island is ruined

MinRich

I am sure its no worse that it ever was . Same goes on around many naturist areas in the UK and elsewhere !

glongs

To be fair it was a space of about 100 metres in amongst miles and miles of beach and was only a few individuals in amongst many (although there is a lot of staring throughout.)
Having heard stories from other naturist locations it was nothing really and certainly no need for the guardia to get involved. Overall my naturist experience on fuerte was the same as always, peaceful and tolerant. Just a shame a couple of individuals with poor manners let the side down. It certainly doesn't put me off the island or naturism. It would take a lot more than a couple of sad pervs!!

stormborn

Why is it that some people complain about being stared at when they are naked on a public beach? If you don't want to be stared at don't be naked on a public beach. If daddy is naked on the beach with the wife and Kids he isn't any less naked and doesn't become invisible. I agree that staring is rude but it is hardly offensive. We say this as confirmed naturists and regular visitors to Corralejo who have, occasionally encountered a few rude people but never experienced what we would describe as offensive behaviour.

harlequin16

I agree with the last few comments on this issue, using common sense and avoiding contact with this minority of individuals; should then reduce the concerns or annoyance this lewd minority cause.

As "Magoo' stated if these types of nudists are allowed to gain in number and opportunity, then the Guardia will have to take some form of action; and that could have lasting repercussions for the rest of the genuine naturist community.