Which Bank

Started by Cruella de Val, January 26, 2016, 22:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruella de Val

Visiting Correlejio in February in the hope of purchasing a holiday home.
Have been advised one of the first things we need to do us open a bank account
Which bank would people recommend.
We have Santander in UK

decho

Can't speak for others but we are with sabadell. Good online banking in English and they speak English in the branch. Sometimes a bit slow when getting served in the bank but no worse than others I don't think.

MissEllie

Another vote for Sabadell here too. We bought our holiday home last year and this bank was recommended. Everything so easy to open the account and all worked fine since.

Cruella de Val

Thank you for your help.
Do the charges seem excessive?

SheilaW

We've been with Sabadell now for 4 trouble-free years. There are charges for a non-resident account, but at least they are transparent. When you become resident (if that's your intention one day) there are free accounts.

However, if you bank with Santander UK there may be advantages to being with them here too.

stevekguy

I'm with Sabadell in Corralejo. The English speaking staff are really good, particularly Jenny. I did have a 'run in' with them about the cost of my bankers draft, when I bought my flat. They gave me a year's insurance for 45 euros as a sweetener in exchange so all good in the end!

SheilaW

I'm sure you all know what happens the moment you say something good about a company :(. Well, from the start of last month Sabadell started charging a MINIMUM of â,¬18 for some transfers. Not all transfers, but ones from any of the Channel Islands, Switzerland, Monaco, and maybe a few other places. As our feeder account is in Jersey we're now looking for a new bank :(.

stevekguy

They won't charge you if you transfer in via Currencies Direct

dwarak17

To find your best account
Switching should now be quick & hassle-free
The best-buy bank accounts with no or low minimum pay-ins
Which pays more, £150 free intro cash, or 5% savings interest?
If you're often overdrawn, focus on the account with the cheapest overdraft, not other benefits
All the top bank accounts require you to pass a credit check
Avoid going into your unauthorised overdraft or banks turn nasty
You could save £100s on travel, mobile & breakdown insurance with a packaged account
Think all banks are b*****ds? Credit unions do bank accounts too
If you're a student or graduate, the accounts below aren't the right ones for you

Java training in chennai | Android training in chennai | Oracle dba Training in Chennai | Python Training in chennai

Logitechtom

Another vote in favour of Sabadell (aka SOLBANK).  Staff speak perfect English, Jenny is very helpful.  Take out home insurance if your buying property as you get cheaper banker's drafts (essential for buying), but change insurance company after 1st year.

We bank with Santander UK, so automatically went into Santander in Corralejo - Very poor English spoken and not very helpful staff.  We discovered later that an English speaking gentleman from that branch had recently left the bank (just our luck).

We were told you MUST have an NIE to open the account - rubbish!  We got an introduction letter addressed to Jenny from our solicitor and then account was opened in 15 minutes!

Not happy about the charges, tax etc....., but all banks are the same on that front, so you don't have much choice.

Tom. 

Tatts

So guys can anyone tell me please what are the non resident Bank Charges at Bank Sabadell?

What Do they charge for a debit card?
What Do they charge for Bank transfers in from UK banks?
What Do they charge for internal transfers to Spanish banks?
Is there a minimum monthly input to avoid charges?
What is the internet banking like?

Thanks a lot

Johnrgby2

My experience is as follows, I am now a resident, so only pay a biannual charge

What Do they charge for a debit card?------ Nothing
What Do they charge for Bank transfers in from UK banks?-----done via Forex or transferwise etc. nothing
What Do they charge for internal transfers to Spanish banks?------- Nothing
Is there a minimum monthly input to avoid charges?------ I am not 100% sure, but I would guess not as i transfer amounts from UK as and when
What is the internet banking like? -----------------------------Good

They do however make a charge of Circa â,¬22 Quarterly

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Sabadell have an account that carries virtually no charges if you transfer in a minimum of 700â,¬ per month. There will still be a charge every couple of years for verifying that you are still non-resident, seem to remember it was 25 or 30â,¬. I think it is called the Expansion account - you can have a look online, in English (it doesn't have to be a salary, just a monthly deposit).
https://www.bancsabadell.com/cs/Satellite/SabAtl/Cuenta-Expansion:-la-cuenta-nomina-sin-comisiones/1191346505022/en/

Windermeregolfer

Like Johnrgby2 we use Sabadell and can highly recommend them, our experience of charges is as John's apart from we have to pay to have a second debit card so we have one each.  Its a great service and we couldn't believe how easy and quickly we opened our account back in March ready for buying our property.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on July 03, 2016, 07:28:38 AM
Like Johnrgby2 we use Sabadell and can highly recommend them, our experience of charges is as John's apart from we have to pay to have a second debit card so we have one each.  Its a great service and we couldn't believe how easy and quickly we opened our account back in March ready for buying our property.

WG

is your account in joint names? we have two debit cards, but did not pay extra.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on July 03, 2016, 08:00:47 AM
Quote from: Windermeregolfer on July 03, 2016, 07:28:38 AM

WG

is your account in joint names? we have two debit cards, but did not pay extra.

Hi J still on here as it is a bit early on a Sunday morning to be drilling and hammering :D

Yes it is a joint a/c so I will have to check, it could be as we are not residents and don't currently plan to be.

MalT

We have recently bought a property in corrie and used Sabadell, first class service, good luck with search for house, we spent a week with estate agents! Finally found one we liked by ourselves!

caza

Morning ,
Although this topuc is a couple of  years old .
Is sadadell , still the vest vank ?

Also do they have a branch in caleta ?

Many thanks

Lexeus

I have no experience with Sadabell but I have seen several people state on these forums that they are charged what to me seems like rather expensive quarterly bank service charges. Also Sadabell are the amazing bank who own the TSB disaster in the UK... take from that what you will ;)

If you are happy using the internet then I have the new Bankia "Cuenta ON" which is free and offers a free debit card, but you can only go into branch if you need to withdraw more than â,¬600 or if there is something it is impossible to do online, otherwise they charge â,¬5 each month you use the branch.

Also ING do a free online account, and you can use Bankia cash machines to withdraw cash as there are no branches in Fuerteventura

dagwood

When I hear the name Bankia I shiver as they are the most expensive bank I ever dealt with anywhere and I dealt with most. The late Paul Daniels would get it hard to make money disappear as quickly. The usual changes plus â,¬1.50 for every lodgement DD and standing order and anything else they could think of. Robbing Foot in baskets. Try getting your deeds back. I had to remind them of the Financial Regulator and everything was sorted in a week.
I now deal with la Caixa in caleta â,¬18 per quarter and that`s it. And I have no exchange charges etc as I only use euro.
I must say we are very happy since moving to CaixaBank.
BTW I don`t do internet bankin

caza

Thanks lexeus and dagwood !