Naked hike

Started by Sir999, May 04, 2019, 08:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir999

In September, we're visiting Fuerteventura for the first time.

We like long walks in the nude. It seems you can do plenty of that along the south coasts.

Are there other nude walks people have done recently. I read about Morro Jable to Cofette. Have people done that recently? Any other suggestions? What tips you can share for 'first time hikers'?

Jimjo

Costa Calma to Morro Jable is possible but you have to check the tide times, i think its about 10 miles. I think it wise to cover up in front of the main hotels, but all the beaches along the coast are clothes optional. We have stayed in both the north and the south but prefer the south. Where about are you staying?

Sir999

Thanks for the reply.

We're not sure yet where to stay. We originally thought staying in the North near Corralejo. It seems more lively and there seems to be some more activity in the evening. Whereas in the south, it's mostly hotels.  However I read it's always 1 or 2 degrees warmer in the South and wind is a little bit less.  Since the beaches also seem a lot better, we'll definitively head to the South.

Jimjo

Sir999 did you manage to book anywhere?

Sir999

Yes, we will be in the Iberostar in Jandia.
It seems to be quite close to the beach.

dampsquib

Sir999 â€" I hope you have a great time next month in Fuerte`. I`m sure you will, it`s a wonderful place.
I`ve done quite a bit of naked walking there over the last few years â€" mostly in the south.

Might be useful to recommend some maps. Best two maps I`ve found for walking are:
1. Kompass Map of Fuerteventura by Freytag & Berndt (1:50,000), &
2. Fuerteventura Tour & Trail by David & Ros Brawn of Discovery Walking Guides Ltd (1:65,000)
You`re unlikely to find these out there, but Amazon sell them both. If fact, I`ve just ordered new copies, as whilst thinking about replying to your post, I`ve just discovered that new editions of both were published last year.
Having used the Kompass map for years, I then came across the Tour & Trail map. This had the advantage of being printed on a more durable material and it also included some paths which weren`t on the Kompass map. Unfortunately, it had the disadvantage of a poorer scale of 1:100,000.
The new 2018 edition is however now 1:65,000, which should be a big improvement.
Looking forward to checking out both new editions when they arrive tomorrow.

I normally stay a little further north from the Iberostar at the Fuerteventura Princess. Over the last 18 years, I`ve enjoyed both coastal walks and inland walks. Inland looks very barren, but I never cease to be amazed at the interesting things I encounter in the not-so-barren wilderness. During the last two visits, Geocaching has also encouraged me to visit some new places, as caches have started appearing in some more adventurous fantastic locations.

Coastal walking:
As you`ve already been advised, on the Sotavento coastline, the beaches from Costa Calma down to Morro Jable are fantastic. Whilst there are some headlands which are not passable at high tide, there are numerous easy routes over the top, which provide both variety and great views.
More great beach walking is to be had over on the Barlovento coast. If you get over to Cofete, you can walk northwards along the beach for nearly 2 hours.
One of my favourite days every holiday is to drive to the Morro Jable Bus Station and take the 10 o`clock 4WD drive bus over to Cofete (Tiadhe Service 111), then walk north for 2 hrs along the beach. When the beach ends, it`s a 1 hr climb up to a pass and then back to civilisation via the Barranco del Pecenescal (say another 1.5 hrs). Just before reaching the FV2, I don my clothes and catch the No 1 bus back to Morro Jable. Before first doing this walk, I had checked out the end of the walk in reverse, so I already knew the route upto and over the pass.
No beaches, but the walking east along the cliffs from Punta Pesebre to Punta de Barlovento near the end of the island is also brilliant.
Inland Walking:
I`ve now been up most of the barrancos along the Sotavento side of the island near my hotel: Butihondo, Esquinzo, Mal Nombre, Canarios, Pecenescal & Del Lomo, and some of the ridges in between them. On a busy day inland, I might encounter a handful of people, but on many quiet days, I don`t see a sole. Lots of scope for naked walking too in the sand duney area behind and to the south of Costa Calma.
Good luck!
I`m counting the days until November when I return for more naked rambles.

sun lovers

A few years back we walked the Barranco de Pesenescal from FV2 all the way to the west coast. This was in late October and it was scorching. We walked naked nearly all the way there and back. Took us about 3 hours and were delighted to cool off at Risco del Paso on our return.

Sir999

dampsquib - thanks for your helpful comment. You were right, Fuerteventura is a wonderful place. I hope you spend a great time in November.

I did buy the map from Kompass you recommended. Found it on bol.com for 9.39Eur.

Here is the list of walks we've done

** Playa Gaviotas past the Faro up to the beach bar El Rayon and back. Very relaxed. Takes a bit of courage to go all the way naked till the El Rayon.

**** From Risco del Paso to the south to the Playa de Mal Nombre (beach bar Tierra Dorada). You have to go inland from time to time because of high tide, so it's best to take some better shoes than just slippers. You can do all of that naked (except when you go for a beer in the bar of course). The path is marked as the GR131 on wooden poles marked with red/white stripes.

*** From Risco del Paso to the north all the way up to Playa Sotavento to the Windsurf Center. The day we were there, the lagoon was quite full of water. When we returned south, we went over a sandbar that seemed to head back all the way to Risco del Paso. It took us two hours to get back because just in the middle we had to wade through 1 to 1.5m deep water with strong current to get to the other side of the sandbar. We were naked all the time, except close to the surf center.

*** Moro Jable to Cofete was the ultimate experience. We started at the parking lot at the east which was a bit difficult to find. Coming from Morro Jable, you need to drive past the cemetery and follow the dirt road for 1 km or so until you see a small parking lot at the right (Gps 28.063455, -14.376260). It's a lovely walking path to follow which is well marked all the way by yellow /white stripe on wooden poles. When you reach the highest point, you can see the west and east coast at the same time, wonderful place to be. Downhill to Cofete is much shorter and it goes downhill quite fast. We passed nobody heading to Cofete and saw only 2 other people walking when we headed back so you can certainly do it naked.

We were also in the north in the dunes of Corralejo. But we didn't like it that much and was indeed windier and somewhat cooler.

Thanks to  sun lovers, dampsquib and Jimjo for the helpful tips!

dampsquib

Sir999 - good to hear that your trip went well.
I think my trip in November in now secured again.
I'd booked my flights with Thos Cook UK and my hotel via Thos Cook Germany.
When the TC announcement looked inevitable, I gambled and grabbed some replacement flights before prices started to rise, and I have now arranged a new deal with the hotel: pay on arrival, and get the same benefits that I was to get via TC. So .... as long as the hotel survives .... I'm sorted.

I've not done the Morro J to Cofete walk yet. I know that road over quite well now, and the walk car park can be quite busy at times with a dozen or so cars. I must pick a day when the weather is not so good and hope for a quiet naked ramble over the pass. One idea I have in mind is to use the 4WD bus service to get to Cofete, then walk back over the pass after spending some time on the beach, rather than walking both ways.

For my first 10 years of walking in Fuerte', I used to regularly walk the sand bar. It was always the same: nice and firm and then just a wade at the southern end, which was tricky when the lagoon was emptying. In recent years, I tend to do the inland alternative as the sand seems to change every few months now. A few minutes north of Tierra Dorada is the 'frog' who needs his eyes replacing after every tide. I went one November and the frog was as normal, standing almost 2 metres high above the sand. Then in January, friends took photographs when only about 20 cms of the rock were visible above the sand. When I returned in late February, the sand had gone again and the 'frog' was almost 2 metres tall once again.

Christophe

Hello
I will be in Fuerteventura the first week of November.
I think doing a walk of 28.12051, -14.27640
at Larga beach,
then Barlovento to return to the starting point
Sorry for my language, I'm French

Christophe

November 5th, early in the morning

Christophe

is it reasonable?
safe?

dampsquib

Safe? Depends upon your definition of safe? Not a walk for the faint-hearted or vertigo sufferers,
I did this walk along the coast sucessfully once, a few years ago.
Last year, some friends joined me for a second attempt, but we failed.
The walk is easy at the start, but before you reach the low-tide beach, the path is very narrow and it's a long drop to the sea, should you fall. Last year, we were nervous on the path, and I couldn't remember where I had climbed down on my first visit, so we gave up.
On my first visit, I'd managed to get down to the beach which only exists at low tide. After a walk along the beach, you reach a steep wall of black rock. I gather if low tide is very low, you can continue (quickly) along the beach, and reach the 'safe' beach which continues to Cofete.
I found it easiest to climb up to the left of the steep wall of rock. I say 'climb' but I'm not a climber, it was just a difficult scramble.
You will see some helpful cairns (small piles of rocks) along stretches where there is a visible path.
Towards the end of the cliff walk, I lost my way and had strayed too low. Within 50 metres of the safe beach, I found myself in difficulty.
It was impossible to continue, impossible to climb down, and I couldn't now see how I had arrived there. My best option seemed to be to scramble upwards in a gully. 30 or 40 metres higher up, I found myself next to a cairn on a small path - I was very relieved and I kissed one of the stones. Then it was a short safe walk along to where the path from Pecenescal joins and then easily down to the safe and beautiful beach for a well-earned rest. I managed to return the same way, but it was going dark when I reached my Suzuki Jimny in the sand dunes (not recommended).
When I say that the beach which continues to Cofete is safe, I mean for walking, not for swimming!!!
Good luck & take care!     

Christophe

Thank you for this feedback
So I have to be careful about the tide
I think it's a good run, achievable, that said, caution is in order.
All accompaniment is welcome
Volunteers for this walk?

Christophe

and again, thanks for the advice
I know my limits
I would be careful
thank you very much  ;)

dampsquib

I won't be in Fuerte until later.
Another thought ....
If you are driving to the start, you can drive further inland. Access has been maintained in the middle of the motorway works, and the track inland is fine most of the way in a car to the Casas Pecenescal. There is a useful little area for parking just before the track splits. Just before it you have to cross the dry riverbed. This got damaged last year by a short spell of heavy rain, but the route had improved by this March and I crossed it with care in my hire car without grounding.

bigcountry

Twice my wife and I walked along the beach from Jandia to Costa clama . I was nude all the way .Got the bus back though .

Christophe

Good evening to you,
I think I will not take any chances with the rental car, I will park near the road (FV-2).
I can not find tide times, do you have an internet link?

dampsquib

The latest edition of the German newspaper: Fuerte Zeitung 316 here
https://www.fuerteventurazeitung.de/downloads/zeitungsausgaben-2019/
has the tides as far as Monday 04/11 on the penultimate page: 31.

dampsquib

Quote from: bigcountry on October 20, 2019, 16:01:29 PM
Twice my wife and I walked along the beach from Jandia to Costa clama . I was nude all the way .Got the bus back though .
Done the same thing. Fabulous walk.

Christophe

barely 1 meter tidal !
I do not know if the translation is good, but, I think that if it does not pass, just wait ... wait and see
Fabulous walk, I think too  8)

Christophe

TerryCulp

I have enjoyed a naked hike three mornings in a row. We're staying at Playa Esmeralda. The first day, I just hiked from one end of the bay to the other. The third day, I hiked clothed to the wind surfing school, then down to the lifeguard tower. There a nude swimmer had stashed his swimsuit, so I did the same, leaving behind my hat, sandals and swim suit.

The walk was exhilarating. I went about two miles south, then turned around. It was a Saturday morning and I encountered maybe five or six other nude hikers as well as perhaps 100 or so textiles. None of them paid me the slightest bit of attention. I learned quickly to aim for the sand maybe a meter from the water's edge -- where it is firm and my feet didn't sink into the sand.

I did endure a little chaffing as sand rubbed between my big and second toes on each foot. I began to realize that it happened mostly when I was in looser sand where my heels sank in, making each step a little more difficult -- another incentive to stay on the firm sand.

On the way down, the beach was largely empty -- maybe two or three fellow tourists who had come out for a morning dip, leaving their suits and other gear in a pile. However, when I turned around, all had changed dramatically. There were tons of clothed hikers and only the occasional naked walker. Nobody seemed to pay me any attention although I did feel just a tad self-conscious on the long trek back to the lifeguard tower. My stuff was undisturbed. I pulled on my suit, but realized putting back on shoes would be like sandpaper. So, I made it back to the hotel barefoot. Maybe a two-hour jaunt.

This morning, I repeated the routine, stashing everything at the tower. The result is absolutely liberating -- no shoes, no hat, no swimsuit. Nothing. Just me, the sand and he sunshine.

This time I made it about five miles down the beach. There's a tricky spot where water runs into the lagoon. I crossed it cautiously. There were a few nude walkers but a ton of textiles. I didn't make it back to the lifeguard tower until around noon. This time, the crowd was pretty thick -- lots of clothed walkers and just naked me.

For the last mile or so, I smiled and tried not to imagine whether or not the clothed walkers were approving or disapproving. Nobody said a thing. I gazed out at the ocean a lot.

efc1878

We stayed at Magic Life Hotel in the south last year and I was able to walk nude along the beach most mornings. I left our hotel clothed and as soon as my feet touched the sand, I removed my clothes and put them in my bag that I carried with me. I would alternate between walking south one morning and north the next. South was definitely the easier walk as the sand felt more compact underfoot. I encountered a few early morning dippers but saw nobody else nude.

I was often out before sunrise and the euphoria of walking naked along a beach watching the sunrise was truly awesome.

As others have said, the walk back was much busier than walking away, but nobody took issue with me, nor did they engage in conversation. A few nods and "hola's" is all that happened.

We are returning in July this year to the same hotel and I'm hoping to do the same again.

TerryCulp

I have now hiked the entire route from where Costa Calma north beach turns from golden sand into black cobblestone to the end of Morro Jable beach just below the church tower.

I've done much of it au natural, often stashing my gear so that I have nothing on but sunscreen. However, in the last several days, I've taken to twisting my swim briefs into a headband so that I can be discreet and cover up when I run into crowds.

Frankly, you've got to be a bit of an exhibitionist to march through the masses bare butt. I hike naked because I enjoy the freedom, the union with nature and the lack of clammy cloth. As a child, I spent my summers in cotton shorts and little else. I've been a lifelong skinny-dipper. But it's a personal thing, not a need to annoy.

On this extended vacation, I have  sensed a number of times extreme unease as I approached families with kids and groups of women. So, I've begun nonchalantly pulling on the shorts when I am dramatically outnumbered and smile, again doffing them when I'm past the crowd.

I have not done the entire route in a single hike yet. Today, I set off at early morning lowering tide from Playa Esquinzo and made it all the way to the Faro lighthouse. Most of the way I was wearing only my headband. The low tide allowed me to get past several rocky heads barefoot. The headband became swim briefs in front of Aldiana hotel and again as I approached the lighthouse.

My longest single stretch so far has been from Playa Esmeralda to Boca Mal Nombre -- and I did it with shoes and shorts left behind at the Egli surf school lifeguard tower. The nudity was fun and, yeah, there was a little personal drama as I approached large groups absolutely unable to cover up since my stuff was miles away. I have never had anybody say anything.

Each jaunt, headband or without, I've had to hike to and from my starting point -- except today my wife picked me up at the lighthouse.

I'm watching the tide charts and keeping track of my pace so I can time an eventual stroll from the church tower to Costa Calma.

But I am seriously rethinking doing the entire course au natural. Sure, it's legal. No, nobody's likely to say a word. But I do this for peace and tranquility -- not to have to avert my eyes and not notice the scowling moms and wary dads.

Several times, I have gotten behind another nude hiker and followed them for several miles. It's interesting how a single hiker gets more annoyed glances than two guys strolling yards apart.

But I want to avoid being the odd character standing proudly buck naked at the foot of a stairs, reveling in the attention. Today, I watched my wife recoil from a naked guy strolling behind us up the path to our hotel. He didn't put on shorts until in full sight of the packed restaurant. Nah, I'm not into that.

This is about being one with the elements, not irking schoolmarms. 

Jayp

I go nude on all the beaches and walk for miles. The furthest I have done is from Costa Calma to Jandia.I leave my clothes in the car and walk to the beach. People that I pass don't say anything to take much notice.Another long one I've done is from El Cotillo walking around past the light house. I have an apartment in Caleta and shall be there in March and plan to explore Ajuy and Lobos.I also plan to walk up the
volcano  Calderón Hondo. I have done it clothed before and look forward to being nude this time as it is a popular walk.