Travel documents for residents:- update please!

Started by greyrocks, July 16, 2013, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyrocks

We are planning our return flights in the autumn, and will want to get residents' discount. When we flew out in April we used the new certificate obtained online from our Ayuntamento (La Oliva). These worked! We thought though that they would not be valid for long. Does anyone know what documents are expected now for inter-island and Peninsula flights? Thanks

Captain Sensible

The Ayuntamiento de Antigua's travel certificate is valid for 6 months.  Perhaps La Oliva's is the same.

bridlife

The certificate which now costs 3 euros, and is valid for six months. It states that it can be used by residents, across the Canary islands and the rest of its National territories. I believe this to mean  Spain. I have certainly used it on inter canary island flights, along with my passport.

Spike On Q

Yes six months it is, charge seems to vary by Ayuntamiento - discount is available for flights to and from any of the Canary Islands and the Peninsular

fuertebears

Hi, got ours in Corralejo last week and they were €1.50 each, valid for 6 months.  I think you can renew on-line but not sure how - it must be somewhere on their website but I can't find it!

bridlife

TamaraEnLaPlaya

If your doc has expired - La Oliva is 6 months as well - you can obtain a new one on line exactly as you say you did your original. The bonuses with doing it online are not having to visit the Ayuntamiento/queueing, 24/7 access if you have forgotten to do it in advance, ability to print more than 1 copy and no charge - well worth registering for.

greyrocks

Many thanks! We are registered for online things but have not yet located where to get new ones for the next trip. By the way, has anyone got feedback on acceptability of printed off but not stamped papers. (Ryanair can be difficult about whatever bureaucracy is in place at any time, but we will fly with the wonderful Vueling!)

dandare

greyrocks/tamara
Is it easy to register online?
I'm with La Oliva as well, do you have a web address and easy instructions on how to get travel doc online?
Mine and the missus doc cost 1.50 each 3 months ago, and would like to print my own when they run out in in 3 months time.
Thanks for your help
Dan

greyrocks

Yes! It is easy! You need to go into the office (In Corralejo near kids' playpark) with the usual kit (nota simple, residencia, etc etc) and they will issue each person with a PIN to use here:

https://carpeta.laoliva.es/eParticipa/Products/Carpeta/Public/login.aspx[/url]

There is just then the issue about whether it would be wise to have what you printed yourself (for free) stamped by them (This may be paranoia on our part following a nasty incident with Ryanair last year!)
If so, we were told to jump the queue (i.e. don't take a number) and they would do so!

Hope this helps!

dandare

ANDMAG

Hi There,
Has anyone actually got discounts using the Travel Certificate  on the Ferries or Inter island flights if you are non residents?

We do not have a residencia but have just renewed our Travel Certificate at the Council offices in Corralejo , €1.50 each for 6 months.If you go about 12.30 is seems not to be busy. There is a lady there who speaks good Spanglish and we were out in 10 minutes plus we had our PIN numbers to access the Councils website at a 1 off cost of €3 each.

Thank for looking at the post! 8)
andmag

fifi

You can not get a discount on the Ferry without being a resident Andmag. If you have a Travel Cert you are registered as saying that you are resident for at least three months of the year on the Island.

SheilaW

This 1.50€ or 3€ difference is a little odd. ???

We got our travel discount documents in February from the Corralejo Ayuntamiento and were charged 3€ each. She gave us passwords for the online site so that we can print them off ourselves in future. She told us to go in and get them stamped (jumping the queue, as someone did while we were there) if we're using Ryanair, but that all other carriers accept self-printed unstamped ones. After all, airlines and ferry companies check your NIE electronically against the register of residents, so they wouldn't give you the discount if you hadn't passed that check.

I don't believe you CAN get discounts if you haven't got a green "registro" (or "residencia" as it used to be called). I certainly wasn't successful when I tried it before we became residents. Last time we travelled, we booked a flight online and they took down our NIE number. Before that, we went to the Armas office at the harbour where they insisted on seeing the green NIE, and the time before that we could only produce a white NIE for Armas and so got no discount.

ANDMAG

Thanks Fifi,

So what is the point of having this certificate, who and why would someone  request to see it , there must be a number of people that spend over 3 months here without registering.

We read somewhere that a Royal Decree was passed in March about this certificate now giving the same discounts  as holders of Residencia, to travel, hotels and entrance fees to tourist attractions on the islands.

We will have to test it out and let you know what happens.

Andmag

andmag

Spike On Q

Surely everyone knows by now -  you take every piece of paper you have, in triplicate, when making any sort of "official" application ....... and then I guarantee half the time you will still have something missing!

emmi

A while back I was in the Caleta Town Hall and another foreigner was asking for the discount travel document.  they refused to issue it as she did not have the green residencia, although she was a property owner on the island.

So why did they issue Andy the document if he is not a "resident", and cannot use it officially for travel discounts? Just to get in the money I assume!

SheilaW

Quote from: emmi on July 22, 2013, 10:58:38 AM
So why did they issue Andy the document if he is not a "resident", and cannot use it officially for travel discounts? Just to get in the money I assume!
Good question! Is it actually the document for getting discounts, though? Could it be that he's just been given the "empadronamiento"? Everyone who has a property here is entitled to that one.

fifi

Quote from: ANDMAG on July 22, 2013, 08:40:13 AM
Thanks Fifi,

So what is the point of having this certificate, who and why would someone  request to see it , there must be a number of people that spend over 3 months here without registering.

We read somewhere that a Royal Decree was passed in March about this certificate now giving the same discounts  as holders of Residencia, to travel, hotels and entrance fees to tourist attractions on the islands.

We will have to test it out and let you know what happens.

Andmag

Hi Andmag, sorry I think you may have misunderstood me. The official name of the Travel cert is Certificado de Residencia. If you have one you are already registered as being a resident.(Residencia) This does not automatically mean that you are Resident for tax purposes. You need to be resident on the Island for at least 183 days in a year to be  considered a tax resident. You will get the discount once the cert is still in date.

Do you have the Green Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union which contains your NIE number ? If so it is a type of residencia. You would have needed to show this or similar inorder to get the Certificado de Residencia travel cert.

fifi

Quote from: SheilaW on July 22, 2013, 14:02:42 PM
Quote from: emmi on July 22, 2013, 10:58:38 AM
Good question! Is it actually the document for getting discounts, though? Could it be that he's just been given the "empadronamiento"? Everyone who has a property here is entitled to that one.

Hi Sheila, you need to state that you are going to be living on the Island for three months inorder to get  the Empadronamiento or the new Resident Certificate (Travel Cert). Being a property owner does not  automatically entitle you to one . The Police are supposed to come out and visit the address that you have entered on the Register but sometimes they do not bother doing so.  The Island gets a grant for everyone who does register and the funds are supposed to be used to improve the area that you are living in. When you are registered you will receive voting cards to your address.

(I know  Sheila that you are aware of most of this information.....just adding it for new members) :)

I am a bit long winded at times. ;)

bridlife

Also after 5 years of having an empadronamento, you are sent a letter to go to the office to prove you are still resident here. I was called in last week.

SheilaW

Quote from: fifi on July 23, 2013, 00:32:10 AM
When you are registered you will receive voting cards to your address.

(I know  Sheila that you are aware of most of this information.....just adding it for new members) :)
I actually knew nothing about the voting cards, fifi, so that's very welcome advice for us. Thanks! I'll have to go and chase them!

I have no idea what this travel certificate is that you're talking about. I have a letter that says "Certifico" in the heading and contains the words "bonificaciones...trafico regular" in the main body and says at the bottom "Caduca a los 6 meses". Is that it? I know it gets me the discount when produced with the tiny green rectangle that contains my NIE. I do wish it had a clear name at the top of the letter saying what it was for.

Are you saying you can get reductions with this letter but without a green NIE? I didn't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.

fifi

Hi Sheila, when I was signing up for my Empadronamiento as far as I can remember there was an option to tick a box saying that I wanted to be able to vote in local elections. The voting cards arrived in the post.

The name on my "Travel Cert" is Certificado de Residencia. Perhaps different Ayuntamientos have different names on theirs just to confuse us all.

You are right in thinking that you need the green cert ( Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union ) to apply for the travel cert. It is a type of residencia and NIE combined. The reduction is for residents only but you can be considered a resident and obtain one if you state that you are staying for three months or more on the Island. You do not necessarily have to be permanently resident on the Island.

bella

Just to add to this thread (and to confuse things even more)  ::) .........
Me and my husband are full-time residents, having both the the green certificate, and the "empadron" form that lasts 6 months and entitles us to the travel discount.
Last weekend we decided to take a trip over to Lanzarote on the Fred Olsen. Our NON-RESIDENT friends decided they would like to come along too. They own a property here. Off they went to the ayuntamiento in Caleta to apply for a certificate for discounted travel, which they got. (We were charged 3 euros a few weeks back, the price has now been reduced to 50 cents!)

On arriving at the fred olsen terminal to get our tickets, all they were asked for was this certificate and their passports, so they got the discount (despite not having the green residency form) same as us residents without any hitches.