Author Topic: Shipping Household Goods from the U.K.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline cyberion

Shipping Household Goods from the U.K.
« on: March 27, 2018, 17:04:06 pm »
Can anyone provide me with their experience of shipping their household goods from the U.K.

I have been told that as well as my NIE and Residentia (which I have), I also have to provide the shipping agent with a NIF for customs tax.

Most people tell me there is no tax on household goods over 6 months old and so I cannot see why they want a NIF, especially as I don’t have one or need one (according to HMRC) as I am on secondment to Fuerteventura for 18 months from the U.K. and paying U.K. tax and NI and not Spanish tax.

Any advice would be welcome

Offline spitfire58

• Fife, Scotland & Valles de Ortega, Fuerteventura
  • Just tell me how soon I can retire !!
Re: Shipping Household Goods from the U.K.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 18:01:27 pm »
Hi cyber ion,
Can’t say much about used household goods (your own, for your own use) but we sent out numerous items with Woodside Cargo to furnish our place about a year ago & all they needed was valuations (goods were new so possible import tax) & NIE. As far as I remember it was only on the new items, stuff we sent out that was our own was just a shipping charge. HTH

Offline cyberion

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 21:34:29 pm »
You are a star, thanks. I thought that was the case.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 21:44:38 pm »
Do you have contact details for Woodside ? They are the best 😀😀

Offline Séan J.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:26:41 am »
Hi all
just wondering if Woodside ship from Ireland,

Many Thank's

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:50:06 pm »
Hi Sean,
Doubt it. Their warehouse is in Gloucester so I think you would have to ship to there. They can do a “collection service” but again I think this would just be UK. Might be worth speaking to Annette though. I don’t have her number to hand but pm me if no one else on here pings it
Cheers . . Ron

Offline emmi

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 13:06:11 pm »
Woodside details:

Opening hours From 09.30am To 16.30 hours | Monday to Friday
    Tel: Office (0034) 928 344 580 | Out of Hours (0034) 666 504 625
    Email: info@woodsidecargosl.com

Annette
   English Enquiries    (0034) 666 504 625
Jose
   Spanish enquiries    (0034) 747 722 197

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 15:33:54 pm by emmi »

Offline Ducks

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 14:24:10 pm »
Hi all

Many Thank's

You might get in touch with Parcel Motel? They have a warehouse in Antrim up North which might be of use as a waypoint for Woodside.

Offline Ducks

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 23:27:51 pm »
Hi all

Many Thank's

Ran into a chap from Woodside yesterday while shopping in Puerto— spotted the logo on his t-shirt and pulled him over to ask the question. Apparently they're very happy to arrange shipping from Ireland, so do give them a call on the number provided. He suggested to speak to Annette, if that helps. Good luck!

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 13:21:30 pm »
Has anyone get any examples of what the tax was on bringing something in from the UK that was brand new? :) thanks in advance

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 13:28:43 pm »
Has anyone get any examples of what the tax was on bringing something in from the UK that was brand new? :) thanks in advance

Can I enquire what you intend to buy in The UK and then pay to ship here? unless it is something that is not available on The Island, it seems a tad odd.

Offline Lexeus

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 14:01:00 pm »
I am thinking of paying for a container to bring some 2nd hand things over, but if I have the space there are plenty of things that are better to buy in the UK and I would prefer to bring over if there is not a great big tax bill on top.

For example, I have heard of a few people bringing in new kitchens rather than buying here, and I am looking at buying one. Also, there are the slightly less common items which if you find a stockist out here are usually way over priced, such as a kitchen tap that has a built in water heater so you only need a cold water connection.

Offline spitfire58

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 21:25:58 pm »
Hi Lexeus,
I would be careful what you bring over. The second hand stuff as far as I know “should” be with no tax as your own existing property (even if not you can declare it so). The likes of the kitchen you have to declare a value (doesn’t have to be very accurate) & it should be 7% on that & anything else new. The likes of the tap might turn out to be not cost effective as the electricity costs on the island are higher.
 To JR2, we brought a bunch of stuff out for our place. Not sure it worked out any cheaper but we could make our own choices without a limited supply outlets & no language or finding places barrier. Thought it was the best/easiest way to get started. IMHO, Cheers . . Ron

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:32 am »
I am thinking of paying for a container to bring some 2nd hand things over, but if I have the space there are plenty of things that are better to buy in the UK and I would prefer to bring over if there is not a great big tax bill on top.

For example, I have heard of a few people bringing in new kitchens rather than buying here, and I am looking at buying one. Also, there are the slightly less common items which if you find a stockist out here are usually way over priced, such as a kitchen tap that has a built in water heater so you only need a cold water connection.

OK I understand now, I thought I had responded to this yesterday, but I must have neglected to post it, IMHO your best source of info will be Annette at Woodside, give her a ring and she will be only to pleased to help.

Offline Johnrgby2

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:16:01 am »

To JR2, we brought a bunch of stuff out for our place. Not sure it worked out any cheaper but we could make our own choices without a limited supply outlets & no language or finding places barrier. Thought it was the best/easiest way to get started. IMHO, Cheers . . Ron

Hi Ron

personal choice I suppose, we brought a lot of personal gear paintings, cooking equipment, PC, laptops etc, but as for anything else we bought here, and with the odd exception we got it right IMHO.