Best Credit Card to use in Fuerteventura ?

Started by MinRich, April 14, 2015, 20:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinRich

Checked out our Credit Card bill today for our recent trip and found Foreign Transaction Fee's for both the Car hire deposit/hire fee and then the refund of the deposit ..... Totalled about £11/12 ! Now i do hate paying for nothing ....
What credit card will not charge this fee and gives a good exchange rate ?
My card is a TescoBank Mastercard and we use it for everything as we get clubcard points ,  but we could just have one we use for holidays, so what one.

Thanks

duggiesdad

I would suggest using www.fairfx.com . This is a Euro cards, you load up the card in the UK in GBP the amount is converted to Euros at a good tourist exchange rate and you use the card as a UK debit card in Fuerteventura  but pay whoever in Euros. The advantage is you pay the price you see, no low exchange rates or exchange fee's. Before we moved to Fuerteventura and came here on holiday it saved us a fortune in hidden bank charges.

At the time of writing the rate was 1.335 to 1 GDP

MinRich

I have a Caxton Card which is similar for storing my cash Euros (Like old Travellers Cheques) . So i could use this to pay for the Car hire like a normal credit/debit card ? But would the deposit paid on the hire be able to be returned to the card ?

F1REFLY999

I use Post Office Mastercard when in Fuerteventura, because it's financed by the Bank of Ireland I do not get charged for using it in Euroland.  I got an exchange rate of â,¬1.40 to GBP on my last visit 2 weeks ago  :D
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

gattaca66

I use a Halifax Clarity card where a credit card is needed for buyer protection etc, or for purchases outside the UK which I pay off before interest is charged. It's pretty much designed for overseas use/travel, decent exchange rate and none of the charges the OP experienced. Seems to be the top recommended option on the various consumer advice sites, so worth a look!

Roger 1

Take a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money and some of the links in it.

FWIW, I have Halifax Clarity MC, Creation Everyday MC, Aqua MC, Nationwide Select Visa and Santander Zero MC (not available to new applicants.  All have 0% f/x fees, and the Clarity allows fee-free ATM cash withdrawals, just pay interest at about 1% per month for most - this can be just a few pence for prompt payers.

Yes, that's too many cards and I should reduce the number.  Just not sure which to close first.

MinRich

Quote from: Roger 1 on April 15, 2015, 20:36:13 PM
Take a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money and some of the links in it.

FWIW, I have Halifax Clarity MC, Creation Everyday MC, Aqua MC, Nationwide Select Visa and Santander Zero MC (not available to new applicants.  All have 0% f/x fees, and the Clarity allows fee-free ATM cash withdrawals, just pay interest at about 1% per month for most - this can be just a few pence for prompt payers.

Yes, that's too many cards and I should reduce the number.  Just not sure which to close first.

Thanks for this .... I am a regular on that site too now i have retired ! Retiring turns you into a tight @rse !

Edit .... Got  myself a Halifax Clarity card on order .... Save me another few quid every trip  :)