Mal Nombre

Started by sun lovers, April 14, 2013, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sun lovers

Has anyone been to the beaches between Jandia and Risco del Paso recently? We noticed last October that there had been quite a lot of sand loss exposing  a lot of rocks along the coast particularly near Mal Nomre and El Salmo. Hopefull nature has taken its course and redressed the balance.

bedouin

Hope so! I'm off there in 5 weeks' time...

KWC

Quote from: sun lovers on April 14, 2013, 12:14:57 PM
Has anyone been to the beaches between Jandia and Risco del Paso recently? We noticed last October that there had been quite a lot of sand loss exposing  a lot of rocks along the coast particularly near Mal Nomre and El Salmo. Hopefull nature has taken its course and redressed the balance.

That has been happening for the last 5 years TBH. There used to be two huge dunes that ran from the hills right down to the beach at Risco del paso, one near the windsurfing centre and the other approx 1/2 mile down towards Mal Nombre and they they are a shadow of what they used to be like.  I put it down to the changing wind patterns, coming mnore so from a diffrent direction and whipping the sand away as opposed to topping up the dunes.

I recall in 2001/2002 when the winds used to blow sand across the main road to Jandia just South of Costa Calma and diggers had to clear the road frequently as they would get to 4/5ft deep across the road in no time.  Never seen that since then.

notdeadfred

I think you'll be OK. We're just back from our 2 weeks at the FP, and the whole of Esquinzo beach has recovered after the storms - looked much as it did last year.

We didn't go to Mal Nombre or El Salmo, but we did spend some time at Risco del Paso and it was fine as ever.

Enjoy.

Magoo

Has the sunbed take up on Esquinzo improved? The guy was offering get one day free deals if you bought a weeks worth. We didn't take him up on it due to the state of the beach & unsettled weather.

ViscountFan

Can anyone tell me if the beach bar has reopened?
Many thanks.
ViscountFan

luvfuert

Yes, the bar is open though probably different to the one you knew! It's now IMHO an expensive beach restaurant in the same mould as all the others. However very handy for a day at Mal Nombre.