Ryanair

Started by Tamkid, April 22, 2018, 13:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamkid

I stupidly booked a case both ways on a Ryanair flight in error i.e. apparently if you are a priority plus customer you automatically get checked Bag 20Kg allowance in with your cost, I only realised my mistake
when the flight confirmation came through from Ryanair that I had the 20kg allowance, cost of my mistake £80. I contacted Ryanair on the online chat within 7 minutes of making my mistake i.e. on receipt of the emailed Ryanair Confirmation, I asked in the hope they would show compassion and refund the £80 (stop laughing), a reply from RITA of Ryanair stated "We are a non refundable airline" is there anything else I can help you with today, over and over again, she/he then sent me a email with all of Ryanair Articles. Never mind its only money.

dagwood

Something amiss, as far as I know you now have up to two hours to rectify mistakes or cancel the booking and book again if that`s what it takes.
I always use the app.

Tamkid

That's interesting Dagwood.  I booked the flights a while back, it was my other half today that decided she wanted to take a case for her special woman things. Your could be right if I had of made the mistake at the initial booking or do you reckon it could be at anytime when you book extras with Ryanair?? I am uncertain how they get around the UK consumer law? I think I read somewhere you have 24 hrs to change your mind and get a refund??? Its a bummer. Hopefully my story will help someone else NOT make the same mistake, there are a few doddery folk out there like me, maybe not quite as bad.

I think the bottom line is I didn't book extra cases as separate items during the original booking, I just accepted that you are expected to pay for everything with Ryanair and did not read the Priority Plus
properly, it mentions nothing about the 20kg check bag on the actual Boarding Pass i.e.on the left side of the Boarding Pass it reads Priority & 2 Cabin Bags in LARGE PRINT on the right side of the Boarding Pass it states PRIORITY PLUS in small print. I did not receive an emailed confirmation of the full booking until today which actually mentions the 20Kg Checked Bag, in my case 2x20kg Bags, that was after I had paid for the £80 for the Checked 20kg case, £40 both ways.

dagwood

Sounds a bit confused.com.
On one of my bookings lately I made a blunder and noticed I had 2 hours to change without charge.
In our case we just book seats and priority and no plus or family plus. I don`t know if the Add ons are subject to the two hour rule.
BTW I never let the War Office near a booking.

sungod

The support chat that Ryanair have is not good, it is like chatting with artificial intelligence, but I think it's outsourced to India.

When they clearly just copy&paste answers I usually try again a little bit later and see if I get a different answer.

Riverman

And the moral is: don't fly with Ryanair

dagwood

Quote from: Riverman on April 22, 2018, 16:48:26 PM
And the moral is: don't fly with Ryanair

The moral really is play by the rules check your booking before you press complete transaction button. You then get to fly with Europe`s greenest most on time airline with the an excellent safety record. And all at a very reasonable cost. How else would you travel a couple of thousand miles for less than the cost of a taxi home after a few pints.
Much the same as EazyJet or Jet2 but much much bigger and more successful.
Monarch was a real peach and look where that got them.

cockney

Jet2 charge you if you want to put carry on bags in the overhead lockers, so I booked two. Then 'her indoors' wanted to take a hold bag instead but I couldn't get a refund for the overhead locker spaces.:-(

Tamkid

I took Dagwoods advice and got back in touch with the Ryanair online chat assistant and put the same story to them, only I mentioned that I should be entitled to a refund as I had reported my mistake within 2 hours of making it (7 mins inf fact), below is what Ryanair replied, totally different to what they originally told me i.e. "No Refund Airline". I was going to leave it and put it down to my own fault, when I have studied all of the Ryanair paperwork and took stock of how they have handled the situation, I have decided to see it through to the bitter end. 

Syeda3:19 pm I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Please be advised that we are the Ryanair Reservation Center. We deal with new bookings, flight changes. etc. Claims are being handled by our Customer Service team and therefore we do not have the authorization to handle these cases, only advise on the procedure how to submit them and escalate it if it is necessary.

I am not authroized for these refunds.

This is entirely customer services decision.
We have no refund policy.

I understand yur problem that you mistakenly booked them.
3:20 pm

But i have no authroities to refund this amount.
Is there anything else I can help you with today ?

cswebform@ryanair.com
This is email address.

May I assist you any further?

dagwood

So where do we go from here? Have a go at customer service. Worth a try   

dagwood

Hi Paully as you know play by the rules and everything works. Try bending them and it's your hard luck.
I know in this case it was a genuine mistake and I'm sure I will be sorted.
I'm just wondering would Tamkid have recourse to his credit card company if all else fails ? Just a thought.
I wonder if you made a mistake booking a train journey on line would the money be returned by either British or Irish rail?

Tamkid

I did manage to get a reply from the Ryanair "Customer Service Refund Department" ,"my claim will be investigated and I should have a reply within 28 days". Strange, for a "NON REFUND" airline to have such a department, time will tell, but lets be honest I think we all know the outcome.

I dont feel any real ill will against Ryanair, you know what you can expect when you book with them, but its been an interesting, if not learning curve. Apparently they do come under the Consumer Law which is policed in their case by the CAA, I cant find anything relating to my situation within the CAA information on what you can claim for.

Under the 2015 Consumer Act for the retail sector,when you buy items online in the UK, you have 14 days to return a product and expect to get a full refund (Obviously undamaged). I fully appreciate that baggage is a different situation but you would think there would be some sort of legal recourse that sets a time limit if you want to change your mind, or in my case, make a mistake.

I will keep you posted on the Ryanair outcome to their investigation, I know you are all riveted (Yawn, Yawn).

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Tamkid on April 23, 2018, 14:53:30 PM

Under the 2015 Consumer Act for the retail sector, when you buy items online in the UK, you have 14 days to return a product and expect to get a full refund (Obviously undamaged). I fully appreciate that baggage is a different situation

You know Tam I am not so sure there is a difference, you purchased a service, the operative word here is service why should it be different in law?

anyway lets hope it turns out well ::)

dagwood

Best of luck Tamkid I hope it works out for you. You had better look up the revelent Irish or Eu consumer act   
as Ryanair operate under these rules. Should be much the same.
Anyway enjoy a few scoops on St George`s day but stay away from the keyboard. 

Tamkid

Quick update boys, this is my reply from Ryanair, the letter came as an attachement to an email this morning, the address of their customer services dept is based in Dublin.  They obviously did not bother to read my claim regarding the refund, I never mentioned I wanted a refund for Ryanair Tickets only for my £80 caused through my error. I can only assume this is a standard letter Ryanair send out for any claim no matter for what the reason. They have stitched it up so its just about impossible to claim against them for anything other than flight delays/cancellations etc., looks like the end of the road.

I refer to your online correspondence dated 22/04/2018.

I regret to inform you that Ryanair tickets are non- refundable. This is clearly stated in our Terms and Conditions, agreed to at the time of purchase.

I sympathise with your circumstances, but I`m afraid that I cannot accede to your request for a refund in this case.

Remaining at your disposal for further queries.

Yours sincerely

A. Peczeli
Customer Services

bedouin

I have to ask the obvious question: presumably you were happy to pay the fare for whatever you booked?  So even if you'd booked stuff you didn't want you were presumably still happy with the overall total?  Otherwise wouldn't you have looked for a cheaper fare?

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on May 01, 2018, 22:32:01 PM
I have to ask the obvious question: presumably you were happy to pay the fare for whatever you booked?  So even if you'd booked stuff you didn't want you were presumably still happy with the overall total?  Otherwise wouldn't you have looked for a cheaper fare?

What has that got to do with trying to get an extra bag booked in error corrected ??

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on May 01, 2018, 23:12:38 PM

What has that got to do with trying to get an extra bag booked in error corrected ??

Because, when booking, he would have been presented with a screen showing the breakdown of the costs as well as the total.  He must have been happy with the total cost otherwise he wouldn't have clicked the OK button.  Whether his mistake involved a bag, a date, or even the destination, you can't expect an airline to mess about when people change their minds.

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on May 02, 2018, 09:29:30 AM
Quote from: spitfire58 on May 01, 2018, 23:12:38 PM

Because, when booking, he would have been presented with a screen showing the breakdown of the costs as well as the total.  He must have been happy with the total cost otherwise he wouldn't have clicked the OK button.  Whether his mistake involved a bag, a date, or even the destination, you can't expect an airline to mess about when people change their minds.

Why is an airline any different to any other consumer purchase !!

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on May 02, 2018, 11:26:06 AM

Why is an airline any different to any other consumer purchase !!

Budget airlines work on the basis of streamlining the booking process online, and they generally believe that passengers are diligent enough to only buy those parts of the service which they require.  If passengers make a mistake whilst booking, there are often options (usually charged) to cancel or change the booking, but most airlines (including Ryanair and Easyjet) won't refund baggage charges.

erik_tonny

Quote from: vivafuerte on May 02, 2018, 15:45:20 PM
Quote from: erik_tonny on May 02, 2018, 15:33:56 PM
Something like an airplane seat is perishable.

it wasnt the seat it was the ad on, read the post

Same thing, seat, holding space, weight, think before you reply

erik_tonny

Quote from: vivafuerte on May 02, 2018, 17:02:52 PM
its not the same thing, it is something that costs the airline nothing and they should refund if the customer wishes to cancel that add on
The amount of seats, holding space, loading capacity are all limited, once you reach the limit you can't sell any more.
And once again, the moment the gate closes they are all "perished".

erik_tonny

Quote from: vivafuerte on May 02, 2018, 17:25:21 PM
Quote from: erik_tonny on May 02, 2018, 17:22:46 PM
Quote from: vivafuerte on May 02, 2018, 17:02:52 PM
its not the same thing, it is something that costs the airline nothing and they should refund if the customer wishes to cancel that add on
The amount of seats, holding space, loading capacity are all limited, once you reach the limit you can't sell any more.
And once again, the moment the gate closes they are all "perished".

but tam tried to cancel within 7 mins

its hardly "perished" or waiting till they step foot onthe plane and then saying they dont want it.

How about 7 weeks, or 7 days or 7 hours? Always arbitrary. So set a rule and stick to it.

bedouin

Yes, Easyjet is a scummy business. ;)

Elite of the forum

Quote from: dagwood on April 23, 2018, 10:19:14 AM
Hi Paully as you know play by the rules and everything works. Try bending them and it's your hard luck.
I know in this case it was a genuine mistake and I'm sure I will be sorted.
I'm just wondering would Tamkid have recourse to his credit card company if all else fails ? Just a thought.
I wonder if you made a mistake booking a train journey on line would the money be returned by either British or Irish rail?

British Rail stopped running trains circa 1997 so i think you may struggle with that one  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
do illiterate people really get the benefits of alphabet soup

paully

Whilst all this tedious tooing and froing goes on has the OP actually had a reply to his request or received a rejection or further advice??..perhaps now might be suitable for a lull in the proceedings until we have some further evidence..I`ve no doubt after the receipt of such information the artillery barrage will recommence..or not as the case may be  ;D ;D
I HATE computer thingyss

Tamkid

If you read further back Paully you will see a copy of the reply RYANAIR sent me, basically there is as much chance of me getting a refund as there is Teresa May marrying the Pope. RYANAIR are above
any UK law as is MERSEYTOLL. My mistake, I am not crying about it, I just hope my experience helps someone avoid making the same mistake.

paully

Quote from: Tamkid on May 04, 2018, 15:22:07 PM
If you read further back Paully you will see a copy of the reply RYANAIR sent me, basically there is as much chance of me getting a refund as there is Teresa May marrying the Pope. RYANAIR are above
any UK law as is MERSEYTOLL. My mistake, I am not crying about it, I just hope my experience helps someone avoid making the same mistake.

Thanks for that, I`d missed it in the barrage exchanges  ;D.....let battle recommence then  ;D
I HATE computer thingyss