ATM Charges

Started by bygcotillo, April 30, 2015, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bygcotillo

We bank with Sabadell and have always been able to access our money from Sabadell and ServiRed ATMs (over 60 euros) free of charge.

However we have had correspondence from Sabadell who now inform us:-

"Nevertheless, with regard to withdrawals from ServiRed ATMs, of those of other banks, some other banks are applying a new fee for using their ATMs if the card does not belong to that bank.  The charge is completely unrelated to Banco Sabadell and is charged at the time of withdrawal; we therefore suggest you pay attention to the ATM messages before finalising the operation."

Was wondering if this applies to accounts with other banks?

Neilclarke

I have an account with Solbank and when I tried to withdraw cash from a Santander Branch (ServiRed) it advised of a Euro 4.95 charge. I declined the transaction.
Not aware of other banks but I presume they have done likewise.

oystercatcher

La Caixa has always charged us for cash withdrawals from other banks; the ServiRed logo on the card seems to be pointless.

SheilaW

I think it does vary between banks. It's a pain not being to use some ATMs to withdraw money from a Sabadell account, but not painful enough to make me want to change bank.

Deso

Quote from: Neilclarke on July 21, 2015, 12:48:45 PM
I have an account with Solbank and when I tried to withdraw cash from a Santander Branch (ServiRed) it advised of a Euro 4.95 charge. I declined the transaction.
Not aware of other banks but I presume they have done likewise.

Santander are not ServiRed machines, Sabadell (Solbank), Barclays and Bankia are.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but people need to be aware that DEBIT cards issued on a UK Sterling account will not be able to be used here to withdraw cash (or pay for anything, anywhere, in the EU)  from some point next year. CREDIT cards should still be ok. All part of the changes according to SEPA from what I heard.

PHo

Absolutely not.  All UK debit cards have been SEPA compliant for years, and will continue to work as normal after next October.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Pho - I really hope you are right. It was the lady who was helping me in my Spanish bank (Sabadell) that mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago.

Can the Man

I recently used my Sol Bank card to withdraw â,¬300 from the ATM opposite Fusion/Aberdeen Steakhouse in Caleta, and just discovered I have been charged â,¬13.50 that is 4.5% commission.

This is day light robbery.

Deso

Solbank, Barclays and Bankia, that I know of, are part of the Servired ATM network.
As far as I know, there are no Servired ATMs in Caleta, you need to go to the Atlantico to escape the charges.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

SheilaW

Didn't it warn you and give you the chance to abort? It certainly should have. If not, I'd speak to Sabadell. It seems far too high to me. We get charged in some places but nowhere near that much (same bank).

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Taken from 'News from the Canary Islands':

IF you think that bureaucracy at Spanish banks is bad, it is about to get worse as despite attempted intervention from the Bank of Spain, there will be not insignificant charges if you use your bank card to withdraw cash from a bank other than your own.

Initially, there seemed to be the intention for each bank to charge the user two charges, one from the bank supplying the cash and the other from the bank that issued the card, which is what the Bank of Spain objected to as this is a double charge for the same service.

Now, even though they have been ‘advised` by the minister for the economy to reduce their charges, the banks have got together and decided to impose charges anyway.

Whilst irritating for the consumer, it isn`t impossible to live with, or is it? Rather than each bank charging the same amount, they have all decided to go their own way and there are two tier systems introduced by almost every bank, whereby if they have an agreement with another bank, the charge will be lower than if they don`t have an agreement with the bank whose card is being used.

Just to add to the confusion every bank has a different charge with the lowest being 50 cents charged by ING with a whopping â,¬2 being charged by Caixabank, and all the other banks are charging something in between.

You know it makes cents (for the banks)!

bridlife

I bank with La Caixa, and have always withdrawn cash from Solbank machines, free of charge . They have now started to charge for my withdrawal, so I am now only using La Caixa machines.

stevekguy

It is a real pain, luckily my own bank is just around the corner from my flat. But in the UK we are used to just using any machine. It's probably a consideration when choosing your bank though - is the branch convenient for you so that you can use their own machine

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: stevekguy on March 21, 2016, 11:08:38 AM
It is a real pain, luckily my own bank is just around the corner from my flat. But in the UK we are used to just using any machine. It's probably a consideration when choosing your bank though - is the branch convenient for you so that you can use their own machine

I can't remember how long ago but in days gone by in the UK there used to a charge on certain bank cash machines unless the banks had an inter bank agreement.