Which has the better naturist area?

Started by bedouin, February 21, 2017, 17:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedouin

I'm wondering about booking for early May, and I'm considering Club Magic Life or Fuerteventura Princess.  So my question is - which has the better naturist area?  I'm thinking about easy availability of sunbeds, obviously, but also general ambience, accessibility, location relative to bars, etc.  Also, as it might not be that hot in early May, to what extent are they sheltered from the wind?  Any other thoughts on these hotels welcomed.

Jimjo

Although its nice to have a naturist area at the hotel, why limit yourself to a small area when oyu can make the most of a clothes optional beach that stretches for about 20 miles. Outside both hotels, its quite busy with people walking up and down the beach but if you go on the beach and turn left and walk until you come to the stone circles its nearly all naturist. The are also sunbeds on the beach that naturists use but it tends to be at certain times of the year. We stay at Jandi Princess, good naturtist facilities, pool steam room and sauna, after a long day on the beach, but nearer to the stone circles.

bedouin

Thanks, I know the beaches very well, right up as far as Risco del Paso.  But I'm thinking of going in late April, and I know that the beach can be a bit chilly at that time of year, so was considering a hotel with a more sheltered area.

Magoo

I have visited both hotels but not for quite a few years.  Assuming no upgrades, I would say that the FP has the better naturist area.  Neither as far as I remember, had a dedicated bar. The FP however, shares its massage, steam and sauna areas with the textile world, which used to have them venting their fury on trip advisor about the 'Sights they had seen'   Angry Germans who did not like you wearing a duffel coat in the sauna and the permanent mental damage done to their children caused by witnessing a person with no clothes 

paully

Ah yes the Brits..easy to offend in such matters, but think its a `must` to wear socks with yer sandals  :o
I HATE computer thingyss

SheilaW

You want to stay at Corralejo's Gran Hotel Natura instead. The entire place is naturist and it's run the way a naturist place should be - honesty shop included. Really nice atmosphere and two pools, one heated nowadays, I believe. Not only are there plenty of loungers around the pools, they're also dotted around outside the apartments too. Direct access out of the back gate to the clothes-optional beaches. A bit of a naked walk to the really sandy bit but lovely rock pools just outside.

bedouin

Quote from: SheilaW on February 25, 2017, 17:37:03 PM
You want to stay at Corralejo's Gran Hotel Natura instead. The entire place is naturist and it's run the way a naturist place should be - honesty shop included. Really nice atmosphere and two pools, one heated nowadays, I believe. Not only are there plenty of loungers around the pools, they're also dotted around outside the apartments too. Direct access out of the back gate to the clothes-optional beaches. A bit of a naked walk to the really sandy bit but lovely rock pools just outside.

Yes, I've been there, and was planning to go again in late April, but I really want to have 5 or 6 days in the south (where the beaches are so much nicer, as long as it isn't too windy) followed by 5 or 6 days at Gran Hotel Natura.  It's just a case of choosing somewhere in the south.  I've stayed before at VIK in Costa Calma, where each room has a totally sheltered private courtyard with sunbeds, but it's a bit soul-less.

jaynek65

Agree with you regarding the VIK, stayed there twice, and as as lovely as the "pods" are, it really lacks atmosphere in the evenings.

We've stayed at the FP 9 times, but once it changed management we hated it, the naturist pool is great but be prepared to get the "death stares" from the textile brigade who are in the spa ! Have also heard that just above the naturist pool they now play loud music everyday, all day round the main pool, so having music blaring above you is another reason not to go there ! 

We have since been to the Magic Life 5 times ( Early May and Early Oct each yr) and find their pool area is better as it overlooks the sea and if's hot the breeze is a bonus, but last yr we had to go in Nov due to me not being able to fly due to an op in Sept/Oct and found the pool area chilly with the wind, unless you sat back away from the cliff edge and breeze, but still great. You have access to a drinks machine with Water, and juices and fresh fruit also, in reception right next to the pool/spa so that's handy, however is you want Beer/Wine etc then you have to get dressed and walk a few mins to the other pool bar.  Also just off the pool is the sauna and showers, all naturist friendly. I have never seen a textiled guest using the sauna but I guess there is nothing stopping them doing so.

Overall we now prefer the ML, but everyone is different :-) 

Back there in 64 days and counting .......

Jayne x

bedouin

dampsquib

Well, if you are thinking Fuerteventura Princess, you might want to think again! It doesn't currently have a naturist area! The whole naturist area, gym, massage rooms, showers, and terraces between the FKK area and the beach gate don't exist anymore! What the future is for this area, the hotel won't say. They say the saunas are not coming down, but the builders have damaged the roofs, and one of the massive windows has been removed
On Saturday 18th Feb, the hotel claims a leak was found between the FKK zone and the beach gate, and that emergency repairs were needed, so the whole area was taped off, then on Monday 20th and Tuesday 21st the whole area was fenced off with a very substantial fence. As of yesterday, First Choice knew nothing of this 11 day old work, so refused to cancel a holiday of friends travelling today. Guests believe that the leak is just an excuse to avoid having to notify and compensate tour companies and guests re refurbishment work. Sunbeds were apparently removed from the area before Saturday and architects with plans were seen wandering around the area in December. Guests are being offered such things as band upgrades, wifi, safes, and use of facilities in the Jandia Princess .... but only if they sign a declaration promising not to make further claims. Vague promises that the work will take 14 days seem laughable. Unfortunately I'm stuck here now, if I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a photo tomorrow of the 'bombsite'. I guess there are worse places to be stuck though, so I guess I should consider my glass half full.
PS: Coco Loco bar was already closed for refurbishment.

bedouin

jaynek65

Quote from: dampsquib on February 28, 2017, 23:58:35 PM
Well, if you are thinking Fuerteventura Princess, you might want to think again! It doesn't currently have a naturist area! The whole naturist area, gym, massage rooms, showers, and terraces between the FKK area and the beach gate don't exist anymore! What the future is for this area, the hotel won't say. They say the saunas are not coming down, but the builders have damaged the roofs, and one of the massive windows has been removed
On Saturday 18th Feb, the hotel claims a leak was found between the FKK zone and the beach gate, and that emergency repairs were needed, so the whole area was taped off, then on Monday 20th and Tuesday 21st the whole area was fenced off with a very substantial fence. As of yesterday, First Choice knew nothing of this 11 day old work, so refused to cancel a holiday of friends travelling today. Guests believe that the leak is just an excuse to avoid having to notify and compensate tour companies and guests re refurbishment work. Sunbeds were apparently removed from the area before Saturday and architects with plans were seen wandering around the area in December. Guests are being offered such things as band upgrades, wifi, safes, and use of facilities in the Jandia Princess .... but only if they sign a declaration promising not to make further claims. Vague promises that the work will take 14 days seem laughable. Unfortunately I'm stuck here now, if I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a photo tomorrow of the 'bombsite'. I guess there are worse places to be stuck though, so I guess I should consider my glass half full.
PS: Coco Loco bar was already closed for refurbishment.

Wow, I'm glad i'm not there now, all the excuses are not good enough you have every right to know what is going on, esp if the naturist area was a "selling" point of choosing that hotel for your holiday, A letter of complaint and compensation a must I think !  But there is always the lovely area just past where Emilio's was for a spot of naked bathing...can think of worse places to be right now (looking out of the window at monsoon type weather!)  enjoy the rest of your holiday.x

Magoo

Do the likes of Thomsons actively promote the naturist area in their brochure?  If not, they will say that they are not guilty of mis-selling   They never used to mention it, much to the shock of the Sun readers

bedouin

Quote from: Magoo on March 05, 2017, 14:01:57 PM
Do the likes of Thomsons actively promote the naturist area in their brochure?  If not, they will say that they are not guilty of mis-selling   They never used to mention it, much to the shock of the Sun readers

First Choice mention "Naturist Pool with a sunbathing area".

Magoo

Quote from: bedouin on March 05, 2017, 14:31:59 PM
Quote from: Magoo on March 05, 2017, 14:01:57 PM

First Choice mention "Naturist Pool with a sunbathing area".

Then compo calls thinks I!  To be honest, no naturist area tops the superb beach. The sea is usually warmer than any Fuerty hotel pool & its much more pleasant laying in the sun with the sound of waves crashing.  However, if I had paid on the understanding of a naturist pool being available, I would want slightly more than an upgrade to free drinks, as I don't drink that much 

Roger 1

Interesting discussion, opportune for me.

Nearly 3 years ago, I had an accident on the way to Gatwick. Long story short, I fell down an Underground escalator resulting in injuries, meaning that I now have limited mobility.  That trip, due to be at the F Princess, was cancelled and refunded by insurance.  Later, we tried to rebook but decided not to go.  This time, I've decided that we'll go in September, no matter what.  We've missed out on decent sun and I'm overdue for a vitamin D top-up.

In the meantime, thanks to this forum, I've discounted the F Princess because of the noise factor and the update here.  Also, accessing the beach from the FP and neighbouring hotels could present a problem.  Sadly, no long walks for me for the time being.

I had more or less decided on the VIK Suites, partly because of JayneK65's advice in another thread.  I was thinking though that the private areas were just a little unsocial, and Jayne seems to agree in her latest comment upthread.

So I'm still undecided, though ML and VIK are still possibles.  I've been reading up on other hotels.  Has anybody a view on the Kn Matas Blancas, formerly Best Age?   Online reviews seem reasonable, prices are moderate, and it has a naturist roof terrace.  The hotel is at the top of a hill, I know, so we would grab a taxi to get to the beach.

Thanks for any advice.

bedouin

Well, I've just booked Magic Life for early May, as availability was disappearing rapidly.  Not my ideal choice of dates, but hopefully it will be OK.  Followed by a week up north in Gran Hotel Natura.

VIK has lovely rooms, and sheltered private courtyards, but it is an incredibly quiet and soul-less hotel.  The restaurant is devoid of character too, it's all a bit 1960s.

Reviews for KN Matas Blancas are awful, so I'd suggest not even considering it.

luvfuert

I visit the Matas Blancas - formerly Best Age - 3 or 4 times a year. Depends what you want, it suits me perfectly as a base to visit the fabulous beaches nearby ie Sotavento, Mal Nombre, Risco del Paso etc.
The staff are excellent, food - good quality and plenty of choice. It is a very relaxed and laid back hotel, (I would say unique) nothing like Magic Life etc., Yes there is a naturist area on the roof, the hotel is very peaceful and adults only although limited mobility means you will need a car as it is on the back of Costa Calma and quite a walk up a hill. The hotel run a limited courtesy bus to the playa Esmeralda which is a lovely naturist friendly beach, with a bar and facilities. The hotel has new owners and is currently undergoing a major revamp, if you intend to spend your time around the hotel be aware that there is a lot of building work during the day with the resulting noise. The hotel is like marmite, you either love it or hate it, I have been staying on a regular basis for the last 6 or 7 years and regard it as my second home! I love it and have met a lot of like minded people but have also met people with the opposite view! As for reviews there have been some very unfair and unjustified comments made, I would say if it seems to offer what you are looking for give it a try. I will be returning on the 25th March for an eleven night break and really looking forward to it.

MalT

Gone in GHN on a daily pass, found it to be very friendly and comfortable, back in May and will no doubt try again, with GHN you also have access to some incredible beaches and the evening Corralejo  nightlife

jg

Quote from: Magoo on March 05, 2017, 16:45:42 PM

<snip>

However, if I had paid on the understanding of a naturist pool being available, I would want slightly more than an upgrade to free drinks, as I don't drink that much
If I had been promised a naturist pool then I would have used the pool naked - it would be interesting to see how management reacted.
JG

jaynek65

Quote from: bedouin on March 06, 2017, 21:25:37 PM
Well, I've just booked Magic Life for early May, as availability was disappearing rapidly.  Not my ideal choice of dates, but hopefully it will be OK.  Followed by a week up north in Gran Hotel Natura.

VIK has lovely rooms, and sheltered private courtyards, but it is an incredibly quiet and soul-less hotel.  The restaurant is devoid of character too, it's all a bit 1960s.

Reviews for KN Matas Blancas are awful, so I'd suggest not even considering it.

Also at the ML early May, and agree that there is limited availability this yr, guess the word is out that its a great hotel and its therefore getting booked up earlier than normal ! About to also book our early Oct 17 holiday there, as again finding the right package is proving difficult,  so getting in now while we can !! 56days and counting  ;D ;D ;D ;D

bedouin

Quote from: jaynek65 on March 07, 2017, 15:49:54 PM

Also at the ML early May, and agree that there is limited availability this yr, guess the word is out that its a great hotel and its therefore getting booked up earlier than normal ! About to also book our early Oct 17 holiday there, as again finding the right package is proving difficult,  so getting in now while we can !! 56days and counting  ;D ;D ;D ;D

The availability at Magic Life was literally disappearing before my eyes last night as I was trying to juggle the dates for  booking Ryanair and booking Magic Life!

What's the sunlounger availability like in the naturist area at ML?

Roger 1

Thanks for the helpful advice on ML, VIK Suites and Matas Blancas.  My radio silence was due to being away with limited web access, luckily in Cape Town, unluckily without a visit to the delightful Sandy Bay clothing optional beach - not an easy walk with a walking stick.

I'll ponder, check prices and book for September.

falkirkdan

Quote from: Roger 1 on March 24, 2017, 14:56:50 PM
Thanks for the helpful advice on ML, VIK Suites and Matas Blancas.  My radio silence was due to being away with limited web access, luckily in Cape Town, unluckily without a visit to the delightful Sandy Bay clothing optional beach - not an easy walk with a walking stick.

I'll ponder, check prices and book for September.
There are quite a few sunbeds in the naturist area but due to the sun moving around, it's a bloody nuisance.  There quite a few end up in the shade.   Area very popular with the German contingent who seem to be a bit up their a*se but don't let them put you off, remember we are paying the same if not more than them.
I will be there tomorrow evening so can try and report if any changes.

bedouin

Quote from: falkirkdan on March 24, 2017, 23:25:32 PM

There are quite a few sunbeds in the naturist area but due to the sun moving around, it's a bloody nuisance.  There quite a few end up in the shade.   Area very popular with the German contingent who seem to be a bit up their a*se but don't let them put you off, remember we are paying the same if not more than them.

Thanks, look forward to your feedback.

falkirkdan

Quote from: bedouin on March 25, 2017, 10:17:22 AM
Quote from: falkirkdan on March 24, 2017, 23:25:32 PM

Thanks, look forward to your feedback.
Lots of sun beds available the grassy area fills  fast and lots space under the shading.

falkirkdan

Lots of work going on at Fuerteventura Princess took this picture Wednesday 29th if it posts
sorry cant post pic maybe someone can help.

Just back today 2nd April and can advise that the naturist pool area has work going on fast.   despite lots work going on the pool has been filled and they have put sun beds out on Friday.
Reported in the British Naturists forum.  Naturists who complained about the removal of the naturist area were offered an upgrade which gave them premium drinks and they could use the naturist facilities and eat and drink in the next door Princess hotel.   So even if you are not intending to use the naturist are worth complaining and getting the upgrade.  They are getting you to sign a disclaimer first.