Non Resident Bank Account 2 Yearly Update

Started by Deso, August 13, 2018, 16:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deso

As a non resident you have to update your details at the bank or they freeze your account, guess what happened to me?
No notifications, just that I noticed that my DD's were being returned despite plenty of dinero en el banco.

Went online, in this case Bankia, but they could not tell me what paperwork I needed, just that I had to go to my branch.

So the question is, has anyone recently been to validate their non resident status and what paperwork did they require?
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Windermeregolfer

Hi Deso

We were asked by Sadadell probably 18 months ago to verify our tax status and just took in a copy of my HMRC annual tax summary and NI number, they seemed more than happy with that.

When we get there in September I will pop in and ask them do we need to re verify.

Hope that helps.

Deso

Cheers John, I'm going over myself next Thursday so thought I'd try and get an idea before taking half an office to the bank.   :D

P60 was on my taking list..so far.  :)  I always think of THE video when things like this crop up.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

spitfire58

Hi Neil.
We were over in Jan & had to go in to do the wife`s. Copies of tax status with U.K. etc & copy on NIE plus a few forms to sign on their touch pads in branch (CaixaBank for us) & asked if that was everything ok when we left branch !!  Got back to Scotland on a Thursday, I think & the following Monday I got letter in post saying I had to do mine or account would be frozen 🤬🤬🤬🤬 Spoke to God knows how many people, emails etc but still had to make a special trip back just for that !! I was furious !! Anyway, got it all done & they said only comes up approx every three years.

emmi

Think it was about 18 months ago that my bank wanted something updated ( Banca March).They wanted to see my State Pension income info which I did not have on me ( as if I carry it about with me all the time!). So I said they would have to wait until my next visit. Which they did.No disruption to my account at all.

Deso

Quote from: spitfire58 on August 13, 2018, 17:33:09 PM
Hi Neil.
We were over in Jan & had to go in to do the wife`s. Copies of tax status with U.K. etc & copy on NIE plus a few forms to sign on their touch pads in branch (CaixaBank for us) & asked if that was everything ok when we left branch !!  Got back to Scotland on a Thursday, I think & the following Monday I got letter in post saying I had to do mine or account would be frozen 🤬🤬🤬🤬 Spoke to God knows how many people, emails etc but still had to make a special trip back just for that !! I was furious !! Anyway, got it all done & they said only comes up approx every three years.

Hi Ron, now there's a point, ours is a joint account but the wife won't be with me. I am going to bring a copy of her passport and driving licence plus P60 and household bill for proof of address. Let's hope that will do.  ::)
Regards, Neil

Ernie

Hi Deso,

I am in the process of moving from Sabadell in Corralejo to Bankia in Corralejo to reduce my banking costs. Sabadell have always done this two yearly non resident update automatically (I`m not sure how as I have never provided them with any details) for a charge of approx â,¬30 a time but I was hoping to avoid it with Bankia as they have not mentioned anything about it.

Your post is concerning if DDs are being stopped as that could lead to utilities being cut off etc ...

Will you please post how you get on and precisely what is required. Are you in Corralejo or elsewhere ?

Thanks,

Ernie

Deso

Snap! my wife is Yvonne as well.  :D  We shall see what happens.

Ernie, I will post when I have been to the bank, should be a week on Friday, 24th. Our account is in Corralejo.

I didn't even get any notification, nor is there anything on our online account to say it has been blocked. They still take the mortgage payment though.  ???
Regards, Neil

dagwood

Just an idea. Could you bring a solicitor verified copy of your wife`s passport and utility bill/ proof of address. They may accept those.

spitfire58

It`s the documents that are the issue dagwood, it`s that she has to sign forms on the screen pad in the branch. They told us there was no other option

dagwood

That`s right we signed ours last year. I thought it was just AML photo and address verification.

Windermeregolfer

Morning all

If my memory serves me right I went to the Sabadell Atlantico branch by myself with information for both of us and didn't have a problem.

Good luck next when you get there Neil.

Deso

Looks like another case of, what day it is, who you are dealing with and which way the wind is blowing.   ;D
Regards, Neil

spitfire58

Quote from: Deso on August 14, 2018, 08:35:52 AM
Looks like another case of, what day it is, who you are dealing with and which way the wind is blowing.   ;D

It is Spain after all Neil 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Johnrgby2

Quote from: spitfire58 on August 14, 2018, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Deso on August 14, 2018, 08:35:52 AM

It is Spain after all Neil 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

How they get anything done baffles me talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, sometimes I think the right hand does not know what the right hand is doing

We received a letter a couple of weeks back from The Canarian Health Service, telling us that we would not be able to continue using their service if we did not supply them with copies of our NIE cards, the previous day we had received a phone call from The Health Centre in Antigua asking us to collect the new plastic Health Cards, as they had been there since their issue in March waiting for us to collect, so like an idiot I ring the number on the letter, and ask very politely what documentation they had used to issue the new Health Cards? the reply " we have your NIE numbers on record sir "    :o :o :o

Ernie

Hi Deso,

This thread is worth a read .....

https://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-23418.aspx

The second post down provides a link to get a certificate of UK tax residency from HMRC which looks very straightforward so is probably well worth doing but I suspect might not be sufficient for Bankia.

Subsequent posts talk of visiting the Extranjeria department at the National Police (is this the same as the Guardia Civil ?) to get a Certificate of Non Residence which has a two year lifespan.

It appears that Sabadell`s â,¬30 charge every two years to do this for their non-resident account holders is about par for the course at other banks, but it also appears that Bankia do not offer this as a service but require the customer to do it themselves. I guess I was hoping to slip through the net and not have to bother.

The irony is that the certificate seems to be required so that any interest can be paid gross, when they don`t actually pay any interest at all on these accounts !! It might be worth asking if you can just have any (zero or tiny amount at best) interest paid net and forego the need for a certificate. I think we both know what the answer would be to that ...

In addition to to this charge I was being charged â,¬120 per year for banking at Sabadell whereas my non-resident neighbours are getting free banking by depositing â,¬700 per month. When I enquired at Sabadell Corralejo about moving over to the same account I was told I needed to be resident and that the â,¬700 needed to be from a salary or pension rather than a transfer from another account. My neighbours were never told this was required, so I have decided to move to Bankia.

Good luck in Bankia Corralejo. Please let me know how you get on.

Rgds

Ernie

Deso

That link appears to be for a certificate for people who have income in Spain but pay tax in the UK.

I have a vague recollection of a communication from the bank, some years ago, whereas they applied for the necessary paperwork on our behalf and charged us accordingly. The â,¬30 bit sounds familiar.

We have had this account for 5 years and this is the first time I have had to go to branch in person. I can only surmise that, surprise surprise, the rules have changed.

Ah well, onward and upward.   :D  I can try out the new road into Corralejo  as well.
Regards, Neil

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Deso on August 14, 2018, 12:30:30 PM
That link appears to be for a certificate for people who have income in Spain but pay tax in the UK.

I have a vague recollection of a communication from the bank, some years ago, whereas they applied for the necessary paperwork on our behalf and charged us accordingly. The â,¬30 bit sounds familiar.

We have had this account for 5 years and this is the first time I have had to go to branch in person. I can only surmise that, surprise surprise, the rules have changed.

Ah well, onward and upward.   :D  I can try out the new road into Corralejo  as well.

Hi Neil

As you know I am a resident, but about two years ago now I got an Email asking me to update our records, I went in asked what they required, and ended up giving them our NI numbers, which ended the matter, however, it will be interesting to see if we get the same number two again. this year.

Lexeus

I have an account with Bankia and I had my account frozen because I didn't make this Non-Resident declaration for tax. I was notified of the need to make the declaration only by a message that popped up on screen when I logged into Bankia online banking. It was frozen for about a year as I wasn't really using it.

I only went into the branch a few couple of months ago and all I had to do was show my British passport and sign a declaration that I was non-resident. Any other information such as proof of address and NI numbers should have been provided when you opened the account, I know I did as it took 2 hours to open the account...

Make sure that your debit card can withdraw cash from the ATM before you leave. I had to go to the branch twice, as the first time the gestor didn't know what she was doing and she told me my card was still blocked as it needed time to update the system. The fact was that she hadn't unblocked my account as she got confused  ??? as I also provided a copy of my new passport and she had to update my account with the new passport number. Talk bout left/right hand, I swear one of them is tied behind their back.

Additionally, account charges with Bankia are now â,¬0 + Free debit card if you switch to a Cuenta ON with no requirements other than you must use online banking for anything that can be done online, or they will charge you â,¬5 per month every time you use the branch. Closure of my other account cost me a shade under â,¬4  ;D

Anyone who has had the same Bankia account for a while may want to check the charges on it, as in February they started charging me a much higher service charge per day, even though the account had been blocked for a year.....

Deso

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 14, 2018, 12:38:13 PM

Hi Neil

As you know I am a resident, but about two years ago now I got an Email asking me to update our records, I went in asked what they required, and ended up giving them our NI numbers, which ended the matter, however, it will be interesting to see if we get the same number two again. this year.

Hi John,

It seems to be a different requirement from each branch judging by the replies so far. So long as SWMBO doesn't have to be present and sign, I should be OK.  May have to invest in a Burka.   ;D

I shall be going to the bank next Friday and will no doubt require refreshment afterwards so let me know when you are free for a couple and we can discuss the days events.   :D

Lexeus,

I had thought about the ATM bit and I also need to find out why I have never been able to do a National Transfer either online nor with the App.
Regards, Neil

Lexeus

Quote from: Deso on August 14, 2018, 15:34:06 PM
Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 14, 2018, 12:38:13 PM

Hi Neil

Hi John,

It seems to be a different requirement from each branch judging by the replies so far. So long as SWMBO doesn't have to be present and sign, I should be OK.  May have to invest in a Burka.   ;D

I shall be going to the bank next Friday and will no doubt require refreshment afterwards so let me know when you are free for a couple and we can discuss the days events.   :D

Lexeus,

I had thought about the ATM bit and I also need to find out why I have never been able to do a National Transfer either online nor with the App.

With regards to the other half, I imagine most of the problem is down to the bank gestors blind 'computer says no' mentality. I would suggest that all you should need to do is take the passport of anyone and a signed letter stating all the relevant NIE/address etc and that they are declaring them self non resident, they then scan those documents in to the system and you could probably sign on their behalf as well, as the person who is making the submission.

Unlike in the UK where a legal couple are treated in many instance like one entity, in Spain you will both be required to make submissions as everyone has a DNI and, regardless of what tax differences may apply to a legally recognised couple, they still want every DNI number to have offered up their pound of flesh in bureaucratic paperwork ;)

With regards to not being able to make transfers, I found that to be the case when my account was blocked, but I don't know if that is relevant or not

cockney

My wife has the account with La Caixa and when we were told that she had to update her information she only had to take her passport and NEI number. She then had to sign on a pad once the bank employee satisfied herself that the wife was the person who is recorded as owning the account. No other paperwork was required. We were told that it was to satisfy new money laundering legislation. However, now nobody else can pay cash into that account over the counter, only the wife.

Ernie

Hi Lexeus,

It is Bankia`s ON account that I am moving to for precisely the reason you outline. As you say to avoid the charges you have to do everything less than â,¬600 either online or using the ATMs outside but that is fine by me.

Was it the Corralejo branch that you visited ? Fingers crossed Deso will have a similar experience ....

Ernie

Lexeus

Quote from: Ernie on August 15, 2018, 08:38:55 AM
Hi Lexeus,

It is Bankia`s ON account that I am moving to for precisely the reason you outline. As you say to avoid the charges you have to do everything less than â,¬600 either online or using the ATMs outside but that is fine by me.

Was it the Corralejo branch that you visited ? Fingers crossed Deso will have a similar experience ....

Ernie

Unfortunately not, the exact opposite actually as far South as it gets down in Bankia Morro Jable  :D

With regards to Cuenta ON, what they say is that if you want cash over â,¬600 you are allowed to go into the branch free, the reason being it's not legally possible to give out large amounts of cash without going into a branch. in fact if you want over â,¬3000 you legally need to order it atleast 24hours in advance. I believe the extent of what you are allowed to do in branch free of charge is more limited than you may think.

For example, and this may be worth checking for anyone even if you don't have a Cuenta ON, since my account became a Cuenta ON I went investigating and found that I have an option on online banking to submit a declaration online. So hopefully it's all perks and I won 't ever get charged the â,¬5  ;)

To make a declaration online instead of having to go to the branch, login to the online banking then:
1. In the top right, Select "Perfil"
2. From the dropdown menu, Select "Datos Personales"
3. In the middle of the screen, Click the Heading "Declaracion de residencia fiscal"

You should then see any declaration already made. If your account has an out of date declaracion you may see something different so from there you can probably work it out yourself ;)

Johnrgby2

Hi Neil

I shall be busy between 15:00and 16:30 but before or after will be fine where are you thinking off?

Deso

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 15, 2018, 17:37:38 PM

Hi Neil

I shall be busy between 15:00and 16:30 but before or after will be fine where are you thinking off?

You choose John, while I'm the guest. Evening is better as afternoon drinking knocks me out unless I carry on through.  :D  I don't mind a walk up to Montecastillo if that suits.
Regards, Neil

Ernie

Thanks Lexeus. Great info. I shall check it out online.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Deso on August 16, 2018, 08:36:32 AM
Quote from: Johnrgby2 on August 15, 2018, 17:37:38 PM

Hi Neil

You choose John, while I'm the guest. Evening is better as afternoon drinking knocks me out unless I carry on through.  :D  I don't mind a walk up to Montecastillo if that suits.

I know the feeling, and it is not my age alcohol in the afternoons never suited me, however, Chaplin,s around 5? will need to be gone by 7 but if that suits I will see you there.

Deso

Regards, Neil

appy ammer

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity